Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 37685 times)

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2010, 05:43:00 am »

1) 'Fringe' authors that rock: Charles Stross. Seriously. Read accelerando. It's amazing and a half.

2) Minecraft has simple gameplay concepts, not simple gameplay. It is, as video games these days go, really quite open ended. It doesn't have the complexity of DF, but honestly, that's not a fair standard. Toady has constructed a masterpiece, and a masterpiece in a completely different genre. Also, minecraft isn't even remotely close to feature complete. It is a wonderful game, and like another game we all play, it generates some really amazing worlds. Amazing in a totally different way, but quite amazing nonetheless. Really, load up minecraft, set the difficulty to peaceful, and just walk/swim in a direction for a few hours. You'll enjoy it. There are very few games I can say that about.

3) The DDOS fiasco was... Well, shameful. Is minecraft's player community as awesome as DF's player community? Hell no. Obviously not. But find me another game that has a community that's even remotely as good as this one. What we have here is incredibly exceptional. I think it's ok for that to mean that you've become spoiled, but please don't let it mean that you take this for granted. This community and this game are incredible for so many reasons, and we're all very lucky to be a part of it. Minecraft's community is not one I feel lucky to be a part of, but it's not all bad either. There are some pretty cool people who play that game, and a few of them even frequent the minecraft.net boards. It's just that in any given community, the people who suck will always stand out more, because they have no filter. People who have profoundly distorted senses of reality are generally incapable of judging the appropriate 'volume' at which to voice their complaints. It doesn't mean there are more of them, it only means that they are louder.

4) If you were thinking about playing minecraft, but you got turned off by the reports about the community, please, reconsider. It's a great game in it's own right, and it has a lot of room to grow into something truly special. Don't let idiots on the internet prevent you from experiencing it. (Also, there is a neat utility somewhere out there that lets you port a DF map into a minecraft map, and you can wander your fort as a mine-crafter. It's pretty ghetto. But it's also kind of cool.) I play the hell out of both games, and I find they compliment each other pretty nicely. I'm unemployed right now, so pretty much all I do is hang out on the forums and play minecraft/DF, and honestly, if I could only play one or the other, I'd have gone insane by now... Or worse yet, found a job.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2010, 05:46:51 am »

Get off your high horse and scream for apples or make an orange sunday!
Starcraft is better then Age of Empires II. I like both games, and I could try and sell both games, but I still enjoy one more then the other. Is a personal analysis really that hard for people? Are we all so brainwashed into thinking a critical analysis is the only sort? ARE WE SO SHALLOW?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2010, 05:58:38 am »

Is a personal analysis really that hard for people? Are we all so brainwashed into thinking a critical analysis is the only sort? ARE WE SO SHALLOW?

hey, you're taking the fun out of trolling, please stop.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2010, 06:01:15 am »

Trolls get a VIP pass to the magma flood trap, along with the rest of the invaders for the season.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2010, 08:01:22 am »

(Also, there is a neat utility somewhere out there that lets you port a DF map into a minecraft map, and you can wander your fort as a mine-crafter. It's pretty ghetto. But it's also kind of cool.)

You can do that?

That is pretty nifty.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2010, 08:13:08 am »

Ok, I have to ask. Can I see this so called list of Minecrafts 'to-be' features? I just keep hearing people use the term 'not even close to finished in features' and others even going as far as saying 'it will have as much content as DF one day' (CONTENT, not complexity).

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »

(Also, there is a neat utility somewhere out there that lets you port a DF map into a minecraft map, and you can wander your fort as a mine-crafter. It's pretty ghetto. But it's also kind of cool.)

You can do that?

That is pretty nifty.
It is rather limited however. An SMP or Alpha Mode is limited 128 z levels and 1 level on DF is like 3-4 levels. So you're are in actuality limited to about 32 levels. So it's cool, but don't have a tall fort. Also is a bit buggy to get past the underground features. Especially hell.

Actually it's almost complete. The creator of Minecraft is saying that he is just about to send it into beta mode after he finishes a few more features.. So don't expect a 3D Dwarf Fortress at all.
Ok, I have to ask. Can I see this so called list of Minecrafts 'to-be' features? I just keep hearing people use the term 'not even close to finished in features' and others even going as far as saying 'it will have as much content as DF one day' (CONTENT, not complexity).
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2010, 03:28:55 pm »

http://www.toodledo.com/views/public.php?id=td4b49fbf9c05a0
Is this the feature list thing? doesn't seem very big at all... (clicked on Public TODO list on Minecraft site)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2010, 03:41:07 pm »

That's pretty much it. There may be one or two things after that, but that's what it sounds like.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2010, 03:45:55 pm »

Is this the feature list thing? doesn't seem very big at all... (clicked on Public TODO list on Minecraft site)
Quote from: Notch's first priority
Thwart hacking!

A man who knows where he's prioritys lie! I'm sure if toady ever got DDoSed, he would just keep working on the game, and wait for the shit to get flung off the fan.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »

Starcraft is better then Age of Empires II.
Total Annihilation: better than both combined.
You might be a bit jaded by this.
4) If you were thinking about playing minecraft, but you got turned off by the reports about the community, please, reconsider. It's a great game in it's own right, and it has a lot of room to grow into something truly special. Don't let idiots on the internet prevent you from experiencing it. (Also, there is a neat utility somewhere out there that lets you port a DF map into a minecraft map, and you can wander your fort as a mine-crafter. It's pretty ghetto. But it's also kind of cool.) I play the hell out of both games, and I find they compliment each other pretty nicely. I'm unemployed right now, so pretty much all I do is hang out on the forums and play minecraft/DF, and honestly, if I could only play one or the other, I'd have gone insane by now... Or worse yet, found a job.
Exactly.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2010, 03:56:06 pm »

While without question better then AoEII, I beg to differ on SC. Although I still hold your opinion be be a valid point of view and respect your opinion.

See, a personal analysis, without a trollish mud fight, you too can do this. I'm hiring a elvish pole dancer for the next person who says MC and DF can not be compared, and I'm checking the string dump for the [MALE] tag.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »

While without question better then AoEII, I beg to differ on SC. Although I still hold your opinion be be a valid point of view and respect your opinion.

See, a personal analysis, without a trollish mud fight, you too can do this. I'm hiring a elvish pole dancer for the next person who says MC and DF can not be compared, and I'm checking the string dump for the [MALE] tag.
Hey, most TA fans would resort to:
Well, I don't readplay pop culture booksRTS's. The more esoteric the better. Ever heard of Ayn RandTotal Annihilation? No. Broaden your horizons people!
I like SC and TA in their own ways, just TA much more so.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »

This is very much agreed upon. It's a horrible shame the Supreme Commander did not compare to TA. Would love to get a version of Total Annihilation, just updated to "today"

I played AoEII not too long ago actually and I think it was rather crappy IMO.
I was never able to get into multiplayer SC nearly as much as I was into WCIII multiplayer.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »

Loved SC:BW multilayer. Your Dark templar rush in seven minutes or your pizzas free!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16