Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 37440 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2010, 09:22:57 am »

Starcraft is better then Age of Empires II.
Total Annihilation: better than both combined.
This is very much agreed upon. It's a horrible shame the Supreme Commander did not compare to TA. Would love to get a version of Total Annihilation, just updated to "today"

I played AoEII not too long ago actually and I think it was rather crappy IMO.
I was never able to get into multiplayer SC nearly as much as I was into WCIII multiplayer.

http://springrts.com/wiki/Balanced_Annihilation

there, you're wellcome

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2010, 01:56:01 pm »

This is very much agreed upon. It's a horrible shame the Supreme Commander did not compare to TA. Would love to get a version of Total Annihilation, just updated to "today"

I was never able to get into multiplayer SC nearly as much as I was into WCIII multiplayer.

The counterargument being, TA had effectively no difference between factions.  Units on both sides had essentially the same uses & roles, with only minor stat variation and handful of specialty units.  StarCraft had a very nice rock-paper-scissors aspect to the factions, and widely different tactics depending on faction.

Engine & interface wise, yes, TA was far superior, IMHO.  That's why I prefer it over StarCraft.  SC units are plain stupid.  TA units act like machine soldiers.
Loved the advanced waypoint controls, etc.  Supreme Commander one-upped this, moderizing TA exactly like you asked for.  Valuing TA over SupCom is largely nostalgia.  What did TA have that SupCom didn't?  TA was novel, that makes it better in human memory (including my own).  Much in the same way Dune 2 and X-COM hold sway to my prejudices.
Give a virgin player SupCom, then let them play TA, never seen one prefer TA, despite an ever growing sample size.

Spring is awesome.
It's amazing how far the community has brought it.
If you haven't tried it yet, get it, get online, get to battle.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download

Oh, and yes, we will defend the Almighty Toad.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »

The counterargument being, TA had effectively no difference between factions.  Units on both sides had essentially the same uses & roles, with only minor stat variation and handful of specialty units.  StarCraft had a very nice rock-paper-scissors aspect to the factions, and widely different tactics depending on faction.

Engine & interface wise, yes, TA was far superior, IMHO.  That's why I prefer it over StarCraft.  SC units are plain stupid.  TA units act like machine soldiers.
Loved the advanced waypoint controls, etc.  Supreme Commander one-upped this, moderizing TA exactly like you asked for.  Valuing TA over SupCom is largely nostalgia.  What did TA have that SupCom didn't?  TA was novel, that makes it better in human memory (including my own).  Much in the same way Dune 2 and X-COM hold sway to my prejudices.
Give a virgin player SupCom, then let them play TA, never seen one prefer TA, despite an ever growing sample size.

Spring is awesome.
It's amazing how far the community has brought it.
If you haven't tried it yet, get it, get online, get to battle.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download

Oh, and yes, we will defend the Almighty Toad.
I love how we've gotten to the point where the latest post is 3 off-topic paragraphs, followed by a passing, one-sentence mention of the original topic.

Yes, SC had far more variety than TA did, though there was supposed to be a difference in the Arm and Core sides in that the Core were more powerful and the Arm were faster. This basically boiled down to Core hunkering up in a fortified bunker and Arm zerg flash rushing them. The excellent community mods have fixed this spectacularly, though.

The engine was what really set it apart and is the only reason people are still modding it today. I've actually never played SupCom, some people say it lives up to TA, others say it was a disappointment. I tried Spring though, and I wasn't overly impressed. I probably just need to tinker with it some more.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]