Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 25854 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay! Another awesome Fortress Mode RPG. Probrably gonna come in as a migrant later on, if possible. Hope this lives on, unlike the less fortunate other one (no offense Hastur). Oh wait, that one's still alive!  :o ....  :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:55:20 am by Pan »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whew. Crisis averted.

Anyway, the toolset thing sounds like it might be a bit overspecialized. I mean, I would tend to think metalsmithing would be pretty mandatory not too far in, possibly before the first caravan, and crafting is probably pretty essential if we want to be able to buy anything from merchants.

Also, which structures would require them? Like, a craftsdwarf's shop would obviously need one set of crafting gear, but what about the smithing chain? There's a wood furnace, smelter, and metalsmith's forge to create- which one gets/needs the bellows?
Well with the NON Forges they cost like they do in the game, only what is used to construct them, the tools then are used to actually BOOST your attempts to do stuff. (Prob should add that... Damn you Hastur and your half hearted item list)...

For the Forge to set up a Forge itself it would cost a Construction material AND a Toolset, then the Smith would need to have a Toolset to use it. Boosting their results... Does that make sense???

As for how we got an anvil so cheap, let's say that it's actually a slab of granite with a metal plate bolted onto it.

And yeah, small animals would be fine eating things like rats, and whatever bits of food and other semi-edible things we lose track of.
Well would that make sense to have the Shop selling metal plates like that or perhaps be part of the Wagon's frame, cause the Wagon will be useable in this, you can move it and use it as a Quantum storage spot (until it overloads and breaks apart that is ^_^) which means its like a LARGE Wheelbarrow...

I dont want to be the talker anymore can i change my social skills to something else
Your choice, nothing is set in stone until we start the game...

Yay! Another awesome Fortress Mode RPG. Probrably gonna come in as a migrant later on, if possible. Hope this lives on, unlike the less fortunate other one (no offense Hastur).
Not all the Founders are finished yet...

Still wondering about Slade though, you posting a character???
Nevyn uses Foot.
Foot impales Mouth
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:54:30 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, what the civilizations in here?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm??? Your Dwarven, thats all you know. The Worldmap will be updated after you depart the Mountainhome, at the moment, you as migrants KNOW NOTHING about the outside world, you have just been told about these areas and you are arguing among yourselves about where to go, strangely enough alot of people who are talking with the Founders are just distracted by the Owl thats sitting on the dinning table...
The Owl is licking a Lollipop...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Hum. Good way to figure out if skill/personality alignments are clear: Get a player to try to list them.

So, here we go!

Earth
Farmer (given)
Cook (given)
Animal Training (living)
Animal Care (living)
Medical Skills (living)
Herbalism (land/living)
Brewer (living/cook)
Fishing (living/land/something out of nothing)

Metal
Stonecrafting/Woodcrafting/Bonecarving/Glassmaking (given/implied)
Metalcrafting/Metalsmithing/Armorsmithing/Weaponsmithing (given/implied)
Leatherworking/Clothesmaking (technically crafts)
Gemcutting/Gem Setting (earth-related, craft-ish)

Water
Record Keeping (focus/important job)
Social Skills (work well with others)
Administrative Skills (focus, work well with others)

Wood
Woodcutters (given)
Miners (given)
Butchers (given)
Masons (given)
Carpenters (constructors)
Tanners (processing)
Animal/Fish Dissection (processing)
Fishing (collecting)
Mechanics (given)

Fire
All weapon/combat skills (warriors)

Water (important jobs, high int) and Metal (earth affinity) both have a claim to architecture. For soap I'm leaning towards Wood for the processing, but Earth could have a shot at it for living-based and creating a lot out of something. Trapping could be Wood for processing or Earth for living things-related.

So, how'd I do?

For the Forge to set up a Forge itself it would cost a Construction material AND a Toolset, then the Smith would need to have a Toolset to use it. Boosting their results... Does that make sense???
Um, it sounds like you're saying doing any smithing would take two toolsets- one's used up (along with a rock or something) to actually build the forge, but then you can't actually do anything in it without a second toolset, but at least you'd get the bonus for it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm??? Your Dwarven, thats all you know. The Worldmap will be updated after you depart the Mountainhome, at the moment, you as migrants KNOW NOTHING about the outside world, you have just been told about these areas and you are arguing among yourselves about where to go, strangely enough alot of people who are talking with the Founders are just distracted by the Owl thats sitting on the dinning table...
Oh, OK.

Um, no offense or anything guys, but I'm kinda hoping the civilization will actually seem like actual civilizations. Didn't really care for the snailmen merchants in the other game, cuz :
A) The image of a bunch of snailman merchants travelling slooooowly to your fort, then slooooowly off is kinda comical and strange.
B) Thought they were wild creatures?

Also thought I'd point out the little spat Neyvn's berserk dwarf had with the merchants.   ;) It sucked how you didn't do it intentionally, and I'm pretty sure that really kinda killed the game for a few of us.

That's just my opinion, though.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I, for one, would like to trade with snailmen. Animalfolk do seem much more fitting as tribes that might be reasonably large and sophisticated, rather than full civs, though.

Also, what exactly do personality affinities affect? It says "working together" but when does that come up? If you've got a woodcutter, hauler, wood burner, smelter, and blacksmith who all loathe each other, it still wouldn't strictly seem like they're ever directly working together- each does his thing and passes it along to the next guy. Do you mean two dwarves combining efforts to do something faster, or am I missing something?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

I'd say that the best way to use toolkits would be to have them used in the construction of the workshop, and stay there. There's no point in carrying around all your tongs and chisels and hammers if you can just keep them in your workspace. Fishing Kit seems a bit superfluous, since only the Rod is unique. The rest fits into things like the Personal Basics. I'd say make the Fishing Rod a Weapon/Tool like the Pick and Shovel, with bits of line and hooks bundled in with it.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hum. Good way to figure out if skill/personality alignments are clear: Get a player to try to list them.
So, how'd I do?
100% though the fact that Building Design is so Multi it would actually need to be done by different groups if wanted to be done right, kinda like in the game if your Mason isn't a Building Designer on the side...

Um, it sounds like you're saying doing any smithing would take two toolsets- one's used up (along with a rock or something) to actually build the forge, but then you can't actually do anything in it without a second toolset, but at least you'd get the bonus for it.
I think this is the best idea...

I'd say that the best way to use toolkits would be to have them used in the construction of the workshop, and stay there. There's no point in carrying around all your tongs and chisels and hammers if you can just keep them in your workspace. Fishing Kit seems a bit superfluous, since only the Rod is unique. The rest fits into things like the Personal Basics. I'd say make the Fishing Rod a Weapon/Tool like the Pick and Shovel, with bits of line and hooks bundled in with it.

I, for one, would like to trade with snailmen. Animalfolk do seem much more fitting as tribes that might be reasonably large and sophisticated, rather than full civs, though.

Also, what exactly do personality affinities affect? It says "working together" but when does that come up? If you've got a woodcutter, hauler, wood burner, smelter, and blacksmith who all loathe each other, it still wouldn't strictly seem like they're ever directly working together- each does his thing and passes it along to the next guy. Do you mean two dwarves combining efforts to do something faster, or am I missing something?
Basicly this, if a Water Guy is Designing a Bridge along with the Wood Guy thats building it, it begins to fall apart after construction due to the amount of Arguements held between the two...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:21:46 am by Neyvn »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, OK.

Um, no offense or anything guys, but I'm kinda hoping the civilization will actually seem like actual civilizations. Didn't really care for the snailmen merchants in the other game, cuz :
A) The image of a bunch of snailman merchants travelling slooooowly to your fort, then slooooowly off is kinda comical and strange.
B) Thought they were wild creatures?

Also thought I'd point out the little spat Neyvn's berserk dwarf had with the merchants.   ;) It sucked how you didn't do it intentionally, and I'm pretty sure that really kinda killed the game for a few of us.

That's just my opinion, though.

I think dwarf fortress is pretty comical AND strange, and yeah they were a tribe( batmen have blowguns and stuff, and antmen). Also feel free to argue about neyvns actions in my games thread i really dont mind at all but its a little out of place here i think (I think i could convince anyone i came to the logical conclusion)
and i was a bit confused by the personalities but more uncertain than anything else. What if i made a lot of menacing wooden spikes with carpentry or obsidian blade swords is that carpentry woodworking or stonecrafting? seems like kinda a gray area to me. I'd still like to stay as metal because i like metal, intelligence, and crafting. even if carpentry and mechanics doesent count
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:31:36 am by Hastur »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Basicly this, if a Water Guy is Designing a Bridge along with the Wood Guy thats building it, it begins to fall apart after construction due to the amount of Arguements held between the two...
How, uh, far would that apply?

Like, I get if they're both working on a project at the same time, it goes horribly.
What if one designs it first, THEN the other builds it? Does that just not work?

Would that apply to, say, applying decorations to items? If a Metal dwarf makes an amulet, and then a Water dwarf tries to encrust it with gems, will it work fine or will he bitch and moan about how the shape is all wrong? Would he have the same issues if a Metal dwarf had cut the gems he's trying to use?

What about raw materials? If a Wood dwarf cuts down a tree, would a Water dwarf complain that he didn't cut it right, or is a log a log? Same with charcoal for smithing, or a butchered skin that hasn't been tanned yet.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's complicated. :P

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that the situation with the bridge is that the Designer is standing there and instructing the Mason on how to place the blocks. Teamwork doesn't work, basically.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How, uh, far would that apply?

Like, I get if they're both working on a project at the same time, it goes horribly.
What if one designs it first, THEN the other builds it? Does that just not work?

Would that apply to, say, applying decorations to items? If a Metal dwarf makes an amulet, and then a Water dwarf tries to encrust it with gems, will it work fine or will he bitch and moan about how the shape is all wrong? Would he have the same issues if a Metal dwarf had cut the gems he's trying to use?

What about raw materials? If a Wood dwarf cuts down a tree, would a Water dwarf complain that he didn't cut it right, or is a log a log? Same with charcoal for smithing, or a butchered skin that hasn't been tanned yet.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's complicated. :P
Actually it does come down to that, I want to make it difficult for those of different Personallities to work well, it seems too odd that someone with a grudge in DF can use something made by the person they hate and yet can still make masterpeices without destroying it or just ignoring it for a long time. I want it to be so that everything isn't smooth...

But don't think that you will never be able to work with another personallity that your dwarf hates, it isn't like OMFG YOU SUCK straight away, it just means that the grudge forms quite easily...

Lets just do a little example...

Water works with something Metal made, water thinks that metal did a crummy job cause the item is of Shoddy quality, he works with it none the less, with an increased difficulty rating. Now if he succeds he can increase the quality if that was what he was doing, if he fails, metal hears about it and begins to think Water did it on purpose just to piss him off... Relationships lower. Now Metal does something for water and at the current relationship level, he doesn't do it straight away, water gets frustrated and relationship lowers again...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, can we get a god/force/megabeast to worship?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Alright, cool. Does this only apply to working with items/materials, or will a dwarf think his room is terrible because it was carved out, smoothed, and filled with furniture crafted by dwarves whose alignment he hates?

Also, I updated my sheet, both to fix the profile link and adjust the cost of the toolkit. On a related note, how fast do we drink?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27