Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Glass article is possibly wrong.  (Read 2443 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
The Glass article is possibly wrong.
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:25 am »

Glass sikes can indeed pierce through base quality clothes. It severed the spine of my test subject through a cloth cloak.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Glass article is possibly wrong.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:24:26 am »

Quietust was doing research into the hardcoded pseudo-raw structure of glass in this thread. He found that at least some of the values for glass are uninitialized, meaning that they don't get cleared or set to anything in particular, so are essentially random.

Basically, each time you load up the game, all 3 glass types' MAX_EDGE and similar are set to whatever happened to be in an uncertain spot in memory at the time. As a result, glass's sharpness can range from as dull as cheese to as sharp as adamantine (and maybe sharper!). Due to that, it seems that glass trap components will usually be completely useless, but other times be the best weapons in the game.

...This should probably be mentioned on the wiki, actually.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:50:20 am »

On a side note, lolghurt, is your huge (over 3 megabytes) animated avatar really necessary?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:15 am »

That's interesting...

It almost seems like a good way to model the sharpness of glass.  Depending on how much wear and tear a specific glass edge has suffered, it might very well be razor-sharp or as dull as sand.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:59:57 pm »

On a side note, lolghurt, is your huge (over 3 megabytes) animated avatar really necessary?
Finally someone points out that my avatar is unnecessarily large.
I'll change it is a bit.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.