Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons  (Read 18271 times)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 04:42:20 pm »

ALSO: you can stud ammo with gems en masse, right? so... what if we add gems that have some other truly heinous effect? incendiary bolts that melt the gems that release toxic gas? the options are limitless!
That won't actually work

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 05:09:37 pm »

using dfhack, i found that the temp in the object testing arena was waaaay higher than in fortress mode- like 10090 U or something like that. Which is why things don't always work.
I tested out some slightly modified Viral bolts on the Arena and they worked.
Unfortunately, I had expected them to have much better results, as currently they're either just skimming the target, or once it hits the target then pulls it out before it infects them.
I also added a nausia effect to them, so that you can tell when the shots have properly boiled faster.

I shall however, test this some more, and see what the arena can yield. (And see if these methods hold any stability.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:52 pm »

Make a combo effect!
Make a reaction the fills bolts made of the igniting metal with the virus metal thing but make the virus metal start out a a liquid and boil slightly higher then body temperature.
The bolt ignites and boils the virus metal

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »

Make a combo effect!
Make a reaction the fills bolts made of the igniting metal with the virus metal thing but make the virus metal start out a a liquid and boil slightly higher then body temperature.
The bolt ignites and boils the virus metal
While, this could theoretically work, I've unfortunatly never encountered any reactions that could attatch one arrow to another. Is there any existing reaction types that could be used as examples?
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:30 pm »

Well, we could just make one metal that ignites at body temperature, and then sublimates at whatever temperature the fire creates and is basically nerve gas.
1. hit target
2. temperature hits 10067 U, igniting the bolt
3. bolt and target are now on fire
4. fire increases temperature to ???? U
5. causing bolt to melt and boil, poisoning the creature and any nearby.

Thus combining the best elements of explodium and virus metal.

but most importantly: what do we call it?

FierceNugWrangler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 07:57:22 pm »

Call it virusplodium. it causes the flame plague :D

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

Well, we could just make one metal that ignites at body temperature, and then sublimates at whatever temperature the fire creates and is basically nerve gas.
1. hit target

I created Doomium to test these things out, it's a combined ignition and viral bolt.
It melts at 10051U, ignites at 10052U and sublimes at 10053U.
I've kept the temperatures close together to minimize misfire, but it doesn't seem to ignite the target, instead, just poisons them, leaving a rather long trail of green goo!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »

1. hit target

I created Doomium to test these things out, it's a combined ignition and viral bolt.
It melts at 10051U, ignites at 10052U and sublimes at 10053U.
I've kept the temperatures close together to minimize misfire, but it doesn't seem to ignite the target, instead, just poisons them, leaving a rather long trail of green goo!
Vomit.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:42 pm »

Maybe its not on fire long enough for any meaningful effect? I think it will only work properly if Doomium's melting/boiling point are both above body temperature, meaning the bolt has to be on fire before anything else takes into effect.

I'll test it after I do my homework.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 08:37:15 pm »

Good point. I'll go try out the new Doomium temperatures, and see how it goes.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:06 pm »

Well, I tried my hand at what I mentioned earlier, and when I made a reaction that creates both bolts and liquid, they're stuck into the building separately, the liquid's properties don't even come into effect from inside the workshop, it just stays there in stasis and I'm unable to take it out. Though I suppose this doesn't come as much of a concern, as I noticed that in Fortress mode, even in a Scorching Climate Desert, the bolts remained intact until shot and embedded into something, so I suppose the coolant liquid is unnecessary, even if It did pose a risk, Nether-Caps wouldn't be too hard to come by underground, and the gauntlets should prevent any ignition while they're in the dwarves hand.

Doomium... I like it already

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 10:36:00 pm »

I dropped the SPEC_HEAT to 1 meaning that it heats up 500x as fast

For those of you keeping track at home, here's my newest version of doomium:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that it doesn't work in the testing arena, because the room temperature is warmer than the inside of a dwarf. this leads to much Fun.
the bolts work by igniting on body temperature when they stick into the creature, lighting it on fire. the fire then causes the bolt to sublimate into a gas, which is highly toxic.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 10:55:32 pm »

--
For those of you keeping track at home, here's my newest version of doomium:
*snip*
Fantastic, but.. I'm still trying to work out the optimum Max_Edge...
(Actually, I'm wondering if that's the variable I should be looking at at all!)
My bolts are having trouble sticking.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 11:27:50 pm »

I tested for something else that bolts with a smaller contact area stick a lot more than bolts with a higher contact area (i made a shuriken cannon, they never stuck).

You can create a second ammo with CLASS:BOLT with a smaller contact area. Call them needles, maybe. I'll give it a shot right now, actually, and see how it goes

EDIT:
add this to your item_ammunition file and the entity file. they stick into creatures more often than regular bolts, from what I can tell (ie, after about three minutes of research)

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_NEEDLES]
[NAME:needle:needles]
[CLASS:BOLT]
[SIZE:150]
[ATTACK:EDGE:1:4000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:2000]

I'd say they were unbalanced-ly good.... but keep in mind we're giving our dwarves nerve gas. so.... balance=/=major concern.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6