Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons  (Read 18312 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 07:29:30 am »

How about simply increasing animal body temp for testing then making a batch file to increase all animal body temp?no more trouble of dwarf setting to bolt because they hold it or room temp setting them off.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »

For everybody wondering why the ammo ignites/melts in arena mode, the dwarf is holding ammo in hands. since the ammo spends an extended period of time outside of their quiver at at least body temp, they ignite. I'm thinking containers help insulate the ammo.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 07:13:16 pm »

For everybody wondering why the ammo ignites/melts in arena mode, the dwarf is holding ammo in hands. since the ammo spends an extended period of time outside of their quiver at at least body temp, they ignite. I'm thinking containers help insulate the ammo.
Quote from: CrimsonEon
Well, after working in the Object Testing Arena, in which I know the room temperature is hot enough to either ignite the bolts itself, or not cold enough to cancel out the temperature transferred by holding the bolts (Can't be too sure of either, unless I could see the exact value for that the temperature is at the time)
Quote from: dbay
using dfhack, i found that the temp in the object testing arena was waaaay higher than in fortress mode- like 10090 U or something like that. Which is why things don't always work.

The temperature in the Arena, as stated earlier, is much, much higher than it is in Fortress mode. The bolts, even on their own, will ignite. In fortress mode, even in a scorching climate desert with the dwarves holding the bolts for extended amounts of time, the bolts have refused to ignite, I believe it's the even more extreme temperature that the Arena has that causes premature ignition, not the dwarves holding the bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

WHY is the arena so hot, and HOWcome dwarves don't swiftly die of heat in it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 07:03:58 am »

Because it's not THAT hot, and heatstroke is in no way modeled in this game. You either bleed out because all of your fat melts, or if you have no fat, then something important goes up in flames and you die. Mind you the only truly important (As in can kill you in ways outside your bleeding) organs are the lungs, heart(though it's almost a guaranteed instant bleed out), and the brain.
The arena is not hot enough for that.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:05 pm »

Because it's not THAT hot, and heatstroke is in no way modeled in this game.
If heatstroke was in the game, I'm afraid it is that hot.
Someone commented on it being 10090U in the Arena. That's 122F.
This could just be the fact I'm british, I'm used to freezing weather and having to do a rough celcius conversion in my head here.. But... I don't think I'd last too long in that sort of temperature.

But I doubt that's quite hot enough to ignite fat.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 03:04:53 pm »

This could just be the fact I'm british, I'm used to freezing weather and having to do a rough celcius conversion in my head here.. But... I don't think I'd last too long in that sort of temperature.

But I doubt that's quite hot enough to melt fat.
Actually, melting is what causes bleeding. Burning will make the rest of you get fried too.
But you do have a point. It IS half way between boiling temp and freezing temp of water.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »

Actually, melting is what causes bleeding.
Touché.

It IS half way between boiling temp and freezing temp of water.
And not terribly comfortable, I dare venture.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »

But I doubt that's quite hot enough to ignite fat.
I live in arizona and in mid-summer it gets to 120. Which is still really really hot

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 05:22:02 pm »

I live in arizona and in mid-summer it gets to 120. Which is still really really hot
I'm guessing there isn't a great deal of outdoor activity when it gets to that temperature, but when required it happens very quickly.
I also see a lot of air conditioning.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 05:37:05 pm »

if the air is dry then 100c is fine.

im working on makeing them swell up and rot.
i tryed getting to head to swell up and explode
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »

If it succesful then you are awesome.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:21 am »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis is "awesome."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 10:04:43 am »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »

Anybody know how hot fire is? Also, i'm editing the first post now to include everything we've come up with.

EDIT: nevermind. just realized i'm not the post starter. funny how memory works
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6