Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons  (Read 18302 times)

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »

I will see to it after I understand how you're trying to implement it. In the videos, I've simply downloaded a completely fresh copy of v19, with nothing changed except to raw/objects/inorganic_metal. The changes of which was simply to copy the code given in the OP onto the bottom of the document (But above the entry for adamantine, so in between adamantine and Bismuth Bronze). Nothing more nothing less, if it still doesn't work, I'll upload a copy of the entire thing.

Hmm i recreated it doing as you said however the most interesting thing is that i then tried again with my old copy and it worked perfectly with nothing changed. As the doomium exploded instantly there is no way i would have missed it before.

I can't explain it but at least it is working. I am extremely grateful.

I'll see if i can get the arrows to delay their explosion now and if it is successful then i'll move onto grenades.

EDIT:
1) There is no 'slow melt', it'll be gone as soon as it's created, unless you set it to melt upon achieving body temperature, in which case it must be 'embedded' into a creature to work (Well, in adventure mode maaayyybe, if it's a really sharp vial).

By increasing the spec heat i have increased the time it takes to ignite the material. even if putting it in pots is impossible being able to produce a grenade that will go off a certain time after it is created could be very useful.

I am having trouble making the material dangerous to bystanders though. most of the time the arrows dont even kill the guy holding them. It's early days though and still a lot to try.

EDIT2: Oh also and i have found the cause of the problem. It's something to do with taking control of a person in the arena. Seems to stop it working until the arena is reloaded.

EDIT3: Seems it is not possible to make a grenade as they will not melt/ignite when just left to the air.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:25:09 pm by Foamy »

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:57 pm »

In adventure mode it is possible (or at least, was possible in .18) to make a grenade using reactions. 

Make two materials: an inert default material and an active material with a mat_set_temp above it's ignite point. 
When being carried around, grenades are made from the inert default material.

Make a reaction (called "pull the pin"?) that converts an object (boulders work well) made of the inert material into the active material.  After invoking this reaction, the adventurer has one turn to throw the grenade before it blows up in his hands.

I haven't tested it with objects that vaporize instead of burn when activated, but I think it should work.

Also, I have recently discovered that at least some temperature work is done on unattended items in Fortress mode, at least as of .19.  Objects with a heatdam_point bellow their mat_set_temp will degrade even if left unattended.  I do not know if this is new or old behavior, and I do not know if it extends to the Arena. 
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2011, 12:09:56 am »

In adventure mode it is possible (or at least, was possible in .18) to make a grenade using reactions. 

Make two materials: an inert default material and an active material with a mat_set_temp above it's ignite point. 
When being carried around, grenades are made from the inert default material.

Make a reaction (called "pull the pin"?) that converts an object (boulders work well) made of the inert material into the active material.  After invoking this reaction, the adventurer has one turn to throw the grenade before it blows up in his hands.

I haven't tested it with objects that vaporize instead of burn when activated, but I think it should work.

Also, I have recently discovered that at least some temperature work is done on unattended items in Fortress mode, at least as of .19.  Objects with a heatdam_point bellow their mat_set_temp will degrade even if left unattended.  I do not know if this is new or old behavior, and I do not know if it extends to the Arena.

The trouble with this is that it is just a twist on the "flaming arrow" type reactions. I was hoping for the delay a container->contents progression might add.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:28 pm »

I have an idea.  Temperature is run for items in containers, right?  Water freezes and melts, and if I remember correctly, Doomium style arrows in quivers immediately explode or ignite. 

The idea is this:  make a material with a high spec heat and a defined vaporization point (what happens if a material has a boiling point but no melting point?).  This is the explosive.  Make a second material with a fixed_temp above the boiling point of the explosive.  You may need to give it an ignite point below its set temp but above the boiling point of the explosive (to ensure that temperature is run on that square).  This is the fuse.  Put the explosive and the fuse together in a container, or make the container out of the fuse.  The fuse should gradually heat up the explosive, eventually causing it to explode (boil).

This basic strategy leaves behind a burning fuse, but it may be possible to use a heatdam_point that is just barely below the set_temp to cause the fuse to eventually disappear.  I used such a technique to cause spell effects to time out in my Zelda modmod.

I'll get around to testing this idea eventually ;).
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2011, 11:38:04 am »

Sorry for the large bump, but once these materials are modded into the game, what is a reliable way to procure bolts and/or arrows and/or darts in adventure mode? Thanks.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:00 am »

You'll have to make an adventure mode reaction. If you get Wanderer's friend and modify the arrow making reaction to use a custom mat it would be easiest.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2011, 11:53:11 am »

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what to do when it comes to modding at all :P Would someone be able to fix that up for me? I would be eternally grateful :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »

Go to "reaction_wanderer.txt" under >raw>objects. Then copy the bellow into it like the other entries.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CREATE_DOOM_ARROWS_ADV]
[NAME:generate doomium arrows]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[PRODUCT:100:15:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:INORGANIC:DOOMIUM]
[FORCE_EDGE]
[SKILL:CONCENTRATION]

If you replace the doomium references you can alter it to give any mat you want. just remember to change the reaction name so you don't get a conflict.

You can also change it to bolts by altering the "ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS" to "ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS"

I haven't done any modding in ages and i haven't tested this so there may be a mistake. You should install wanderer's friend and the special materials before this. the instructions for those should be in the wanderers friend thread and the start of this one respectively.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:36 pm »

Go to "reaction_wanderer.txt" under >raw>objects. Then copy the bellow into it like the other entries.

If you replace the doomium references you can alter it to give any mat you want. just remember to change the reaction name so you don't get a conflict.

You can also change it to bolts by altering the "ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS" to "ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS"

I haven't done any modding in ages and i haven't tested this so there may be a mistake. You should install wanderer's friend and the special materials before this. the instructions for those should be in the wanderers friend thread and the start of this one respectively.

It works, but the virium arrows don't appear to melt on contact or do anything beyond stick in people. Am I doing something wrong?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2011, 03:10:01 pm »

Probably not if the others work. All i can say is read through this tread and see if anything sticks out. you could also try playing around with the boiling/melting points for the material. it's just a matter of tweaking the numbers.

This should be of help: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Material_definition_token
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]