Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy embark  (Read 983 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Crazy embark
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:05 am »

An embark I recently had had one of those spontaneous cave-ins that sometimes occur around volcanoes. With my dwarfs starting directly on top of said spontaneous cave in. When about half of them were instantly thrown down the volcano, I quickly abandoned the fortress (before any of them drowned), then was able to reclaim it with a group of civilians (I had not dug anything yet) and got a free wagon full of non-consumables out of the whole thing (at the cost of all the caverns no longer containing mud).

Two months later, the second crazy thing about this embark became clear. It is a sometimes-frozen biome, and there was a largish frozen murky pool bordering the volcano without any actual rock wall between it and the edge of the volcano. When it became summer, the murky pool immediately thawed and started spilling out into the volcano, creating a sheet of obsidian over part of it, causing some kind of cave-in (likely from a section of obsidian), and revealing the magma sea and part of the third cavern layer. This is very bizzare because the magma sea was revealed without any creature actually going down there; I made sure my dwarfs stayed away from the whole thing and when I checked afterwords there were no units listed as dead. Was the magma sea revealed just by falling obsidian?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy embark
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:39 am »

It likely was, yes.  The game probably assumes "since you're aware of the cave-in, you must be aware of where it happened" and therefore revealed it.  Or something.  Cave-ins and line of sight have always been iffy.  Chalk this up as another "strange quirk" and then figure out how to weaponize it.