Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pirate Fortress  (Read 3015 times)

Starkos127

• Bay Watcher
  • Nemesis: Ogallala Aquifer
    • View Profile
Pirate Fortress
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:55:42 am »

I've had this idea brewing in my head to make a pirate fortress for awhile now, I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to build ships, ramshackle wooden buildings, etc.
Yes, that is a robocarp

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

Turn off cave ins in the init, should allow you to build many a good ship on water. Also rum, a lot of it. YAou can never go wrong with rum. Ahaha.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »

First of all, a heavily forested ocean shore, if possible. Don't pick an evil ocean, though. You don't want skeletal whales or even sea monsters eating your fortress for lunch.
About ramshackle buildings - you could, for example, replace walls with wall bars or grates in some places or such. Could also build a holding pen for anyone you catch with cage traps, if you use them that is. And don't smooth/floor over the ground on which you build it, if it's ground and not the pier that is.
Also, arrrrrr.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:12:36 pm »

No he should put massive oars on the ships with cages lining them, a good fleet is powered by the blood and sweat of your captured foes.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:02 pm »

No he should put massive oars on the ships with cages lining them, a good fleet is powered by the blood and sweat of your captured foes.

I think he means the more traditional pirate type town, not Greecian ti/biremes.
Cage traps are my magma.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »

Vikings were pirates, too.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:27:09 pm »

First of all, a heavily forested ocean shore, if possible. Don't pick an evil ocean, though. You don't want skeletal whales or even sea monsters eating your fortress for lunch.
Also, arrrrrr.

On the contrary, I vote you embark on an evil ocean. Urist McCrazyWhaleHunter needs a foe.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:37:50 pm »

Also, arrrrrr.

On the contrary, I vote you embark on an evil ocean. Urist McCrazyWhaleHunter needs a foe.

Skeletal White Whale?  Isn't that redundant?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:00:33 pm »

Also, arrrrrr.

Skeletal White Whale?  Isn't that redundant?
Shamu the friendly not-so-friendly ghost skeleton?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:48 am »

Aren't Vikings Vikings?

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:41:48 am »

Aren't Vikings Vikings?

Agreed, Vikings were their own class.
Cage traps are my magma.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:53:44 am »

Aren't Vikings Vikings?

I like to think of the Vikings from "How to Train Your Dragon" as being Dwarves. If you imagine that, the movie is even better.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 06:53:53 am »

Aren't Vikings Vikings?

I like to think of the Vikings from "How to Train Your Dragon" as being Dwarves. If you imagine that, the movie is even better.
Hm...Cool! Dwarves riding dragons! Hunting Terrible Terrors! Awesome! Now someone needs to make a mod for that.

On a non-derailed note, it'll be hard to make ships without buoyancy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 07:09:05 am »

Aren't Vikings Vikings?

Plus Vikings rarely took prisoners and even then they rowed their own ships, nothing more of a Viking then rowing a ship into the foes before grabbing your axe and cutting a fools head off in one clean motion from oar to weapon...

Aren't Vikings Vikings?

Hm...Cool! Dwarves riding dragons! Hunting Terrible Terrors! Awesome! Now someone needs to make a mod for that.
Did it the first time and loved it, watched it a second time and didn't thing DF and found it less.. \\indicates at DF\\ that...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...