Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Best Mudish/Moo game- Cybersphere. (Better than HellMoo).  (Read 17021 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mudish/Moo game- Cybersphere. (Better than HellMoo).
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:52 am »

Sorry to rez this topic, I'd just like to register my irritation. Started character creation four or five days ago, chose the advanced mode because I tend to love messing with things I don't understand, even when it fails horribly. Developed a solid character concept that I would enjoy roleplaying (a 50s-ish 'late-anarchist', sort of comical engineering journalist person that thinks he can shoot and likes motorcycles), finished all my 'nudities' (pretty annoying there). Hit submit expecting to be torn to shreds about background inconsistencies with existing RP, that kind of thing, and fully OK with that.

Fast forward to today, finally got ahold of a GM, his response was that chemistry is unimplemented. Ok, fine, I go back and quickly make him an electrical engineer instead.

[CGnet] Dr.Tran [to you] Sorry about that; I was dragged AFK. Okay... if you have any intentions of being in combat, first off, you will definitely want to cap shock and dodge. Shock lets you survive more than one or two bullets; dodge, obviously, lets you dodge them.
[CGnet] Eagleon says, "He's not about to go headhunting. I wanted a little bit of combat skill, more from paranoia than anything, but it's not his main focus."
[CGnet] Dr.Tran [to you] Decking... well, if you -want- to do that with your first character it's all well and good but you may want to hold off as decking is a little hard to get the hang of...
[CGnet] Dr.Tran says, "Also, you may want to addcom newbie; you can type 'new <message>' to talk on it, other players can help you that way too."
[CGnet] Dr.Tran [to you] 'help wiki' will point you at the wiki for CS, which will have a lot of useful advice for you, but seriously, pare your skills down a lot more. You want six or seven, probably.

What happened to letting new players bumble through hilariously bad builds? I really don't know how to respond to this gracefully - I fully expect to be ripped apart in combat, and that's just fine. The guy is 53 years old - capping shock and dodge seems like powergaming to me, regardless of how I change his basic concept. Do I get rid of my pistol skill and pretend he's into guns despite fumbling his weapon and missing point-blank every other turn? Do I drop multimedia and go with a pure engineering background? Why? People do technical journalism majors all the time in the real world. Do I toss his 'hobby' (breaking and entering/decking) skills out the window and sit around making blenders all day? What can I say to this? I'd like to get into this game, but this kind of hand-holding aggravates me, especially after coming up with a solid background concept and getting enthusiastic about the character.

Meh. Will play HellMOO, maybe come back to this later.

Irony.  Usually CS was always TOO MEAN to newbs, (EDIT2x- Also note, the WORLD itself can be very mean in Cybersphere, even without other players-) so they've gone a little backwards- but really he was just trying to make a 'viable' char to be able to do anything well with other players you really need to put the skill points in- otherwise you'll fail a lot - he just didn't understand you were COOL with that, as most people would then be pissed that they sucked/whatever.  But hell come play man- you can even make credits with news stories etc with those skills, and make videos to play on the Tri-v etc.

Also here's a random log: http://newcarthage.net/viewtopic.php?t=2651

That site has TONS of old logs, most of which are MUCH more interesting then this one- this one basically just highlights that you're NEVER safe. 

EDIT- Note:  The dr's name is NOT xxx, that was changed to protect his identity from people using it for OOC knowledge- ALSO names work like this in game- you see people as they LOOK, so you might see 'small asian armored man' and then you can @remember him as 'Charlie' (Command being @remember small as Charlie (If he was the only small person in the room)).  This way you can lie about your name, etc.  And of course you can change some of your looks in the Bodyshop if you want to try to confuse people (Or change ur gender if ur char is particularly freaky)

EDIT3x- The syringes they pumped into the sleep PC characters (who were logged out obviously) basically makes it so even if they DID log in, they would be unconscious and not see anything...this can be used for quite a few interesting things...heh, having your arms and legs (And complant (How you communicate) implant ripped out) and being left in some place is not fun. (It's also used in combat, so you knock someone out, hit them with the syringe/heal them, so you can safely get them to a ripper docs clinic to rip their chrome/cyberware).  (Heck you might be able to implant someone elses' complant in another person and pretend to be them on the network...not sure)

EDIT4x- Yes he got his foot shot off, and would have bled to death probably if it was a 'real' foot instead of metal and servos. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:01:05 am by Snall »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 05:24:17 am »

This looks awesome, but last time I signed up to a roleplaying mandatory/enforced game I ended up in some Guild thing that was constantly in my face about honour and crap and made me regret making a good character.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:16 am »

Yea...that's not gonna happen here.  You're more likely to be killed for your shoes then for that to happen. 

EDIT- And heck, if you do join a group you can always turn around and f' them in the a'...as it were. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:07:32 am by Snall »

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »

Every time I try to play this (and I just gave it another go) I'm overwhelmed by the size of it and the lack of help starting out. Their helpfiles are a joke for helping new people, due to their "Learn it ICly" policy.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 12:26:09 am »

Starting Advantages in Advanced CharGen:
Addiction                                -10 AP   IO Simulant Agent                         7 AP
Aikijutsu                                25 AP    Italian                                   5 AP
Ammo Loading                             10 AP    Italian Mafia                             5 AP
Arabic                                    5 AP    Japanese                                  5 AP
Artisan Armorcrafting                    20 AP    Kung Fu                                  30 AP
Assault driver                           30 AP    Language recognition                      2 AP
Black Ops Training                       30 AP    Leatherworker                            10 AP
Body Guard Training                      15 AP    Lock Expert                              20 AP
Brawler Cybernetics                      20 AP    Low Rent Apartment                       10 AP
Chinese                                   5 AP    Mercenary Guild                           5 AP
Clones-R-Us cheap clone                   3 AP    Middle-Class Starting Credits            10 AP
Combat biker                             20 AP    Military Training                        30 AP
Coroner                                  10 AP    Motorcycle Owner                         10 AP
Corp driver                              20 AP    Muay Thai                                30 AP
Corp-Class Starting Credits              25 AP    Municipal Permits                        10 AP
Corpie Cybernetics                       20 AP    Mutant                                   35 AP
Corporate Apartment                      35 AP    Mutant Abilities                          5 AP
Corporate Office                         25 AP    Myotech clone                             5 AP
Counselor Training                       20 AP    Myotech Offworld clone                   15 AP
Cyberdeck Shop                           20 AP    Navaho                                   15 AP
CyberDeck Technician                     15 AP    Parallel Resurrection clone              10 AP
Cyberdoc                                 25 AP    Parkour Adept                            10 AP
Cyberdoc Cybernetics                     20 AP    Phiber-Optik's                            0 AP
Cybernetics Clinic                       20 AP    Photophobia                              -7 AP
Deathguild                               10 AP    Portuguese                                5 AP
Decking Cybernetics                      20 AP    Powerful Enemies                          0 AP
Decks and Tech                           15 AP    PR Rescue Service                        10 AP
Detective Cybernetics                    20 AP    quick draw - pistol                      15 AP
Detective Training                       20 AP    quick draw - swords                      15 AP
Dirty infighting                         25 AP    Reporter                                 10 AP
EMT Training                             25 AP    Russian                                   5 AP
Engineering                              25 AP    Savate                                   25 AP
Expert biker                             30 AP    Scavenger                                15 AP
Faceman                                  10 AP    Securitech Apartment                     30 AP
Fast Loading                             15 AP    Sharp Shooter                            25 AP
Freelance Criminal                       15 AP    SimStar Cybernetics                      20 AP
Freelance Job                            15 AP    Simulant                                 10 AP
French                                    5 AP    Solo Cybernetics                         20 AP
Gaelic                                    5 AP    Spanish                                   5 AP
Gang biker                               15 AP    Standard Apartment                       20 AP
Garage Depot                             25 AP    Store Owner                              15 AP
General Items                            10 AP    Street Samurai Cybernetics               20 AP
German                                    5 AP    Street-Talk                               5 AP
Gun Mod Shop                             20 AP    Tae Kwon Do                              25 AP
Gun Repair                               16 AP    Tagalog                                   5 AP
Hated by Anarchists                       0 AP    Taijitsu                                 25 AP
Hated by Jerks                            0 AP    Tri-V Studio                             20 AP
Hated by Mafia                            0 AP    Ventriloquism                            15 AP
Hated by Pirates                          0 AP    Wasteland Armorcrafting                  20 AP
Hated by Yakuza                           0 AP    Wasteland Gear                           15 AP
Health Guru Cybernetics                  20 AP    Weapons and Armor                        15 AP
Hemophilia                               -10 AP   Weaponsmith                              20 AP
High-Class Starting Credits              15 AP    Yakuza                                    5 AP
Inability to Have Implants               -20 AP   Zero-g training                          10 AP

As for post above me:  Join the newbie Chat like Dr. Tran said in that quote and ask questions there.  There's players and admin on it.  I answer ALL questions that a normal person would know about the world and im on a LOT.

EDIT- Skills:
Costs to raise each of your Skills by one point:
Appraisal           1 Skill pts. Electronics         1 Skill pts. Pilot               1 Skill pts.
Armor Craft         1 Skill pts. First-Aid           1 Skill pts. Programming         1 Skill pts.
Brawling            1 Skill pts. Gunnery             1 Skill pts. Rifle               1 Skill pts.
Biker               1 Skill pts. Gun Tech            1 Skill pts. Shock               1 Skill pts.
CyberDoc            1 Skill pts. Knife               1 Skill pts. Swords              1 Skill pts.
Chemistry           1 Skill pts. Lockpick            1 Skill pts. SMG                 1 Skill pts.
Dodge               1 Skill pts. Melee               1 Skill pts. Stealth             1 Skill pts.
Decking             1 Skill pts. Mechanics           1 Skill pts. Scavenge            1 Skill pts.
Defensive MA        1 Skill pts. Multimedia          1 Skill pts. Surgery             1 Skill pts.
Driving             1 Skill pts. Offensive MA        1 Skill pts. Thievery            1 Skill pts.
Diagnosis           1 Skill pts. Pistol              1 Skill pts.
You have 575 Skill point(s) remaining.

As someone posted Chemistry has NOT been implemented yet because it is not finished- they're always adding stuff. 

EDIT- Story just came to me as I glanced at the skill list (Im in Cgen because we had our halloween day where nothing counts and crazy things happen)- anyway I once sold a gun to this guy who lived on the corporate side of the city (Which is behind a huge wall with air defenses and guards), and then stole the gun right out of the holster he put it in before he left...heh.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:31:48 am by Snall »

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 04:02:20 pm »

This game looks cool. I'll probably give it a go later. If it sucks I'm going to throw a shoe at you, Snall.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »

Can you still type "help cs2"? You should go into the Meta board and ask for a beta invite.

I don't see anything wrong with making a couple of characters that have a back story where they can defend themselves to learn the game. It is like in other M** I'd always start with a warrior.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »

Well doing a decking char is def a lot harder then a 'normal' character.

EDIT- Because stuff like this will happen...though usually the mugger will win if you're a decker.

http://newcarthage.net/viewtopic.php?t=2655
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:46:25 pm by Snall »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]