Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What keeps happening to all my rock nuts?  (Read 2416 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What keeps happening to all my rock nuts?
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:53:06 pm »

I have them turned off in the kitchen so they can't be made into food or drink.  I didn't think they were edible otherwise right?  Then where in the world did they go!?  I have no way to mill them yet and I haven't planted any.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: What keeps happening to all my rock nuts?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 01:52:53 am »

I have them turned off in the kitchen so they can't be made into food or drink.  I didn't think they were edible otherwise right?  Then where in the world did they go!?  I have no way to mill them yet and I haven't planted any.
Rock nuts are edible raw, so people will come by and scarf them all down.
Go hide them somewhere, maybe with a locked door.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:02 am »

Vermin could have eaten them, I think.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:16:19 pm »

Bah, is there no way to specify that these are not to be eaten but only planted and milled?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »

Bah, is there no way to specify that these are not to be eaten but only planted and milled?
not directly although you can kinda rig the system agianst them being eaten.  Dwarves that get hungry generaly grab the closest food item they can find and then go eat.  if you set up your farms/mills well away from where the rest of your dwarves spend most of their time and have the only stockpile that accepts rock nuts there the chances of a dwarf grabing a rock nut to eat are much lower than if you have them stored in the main food stockpile next to the dining hall.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »

90% of the above advice is completely useless.

Dwarfs don't eat rock nuts raw.

I even went to the effort of verifying: embarked with no food but seeds, including 20 rock nuts. When dwarfs became hungry for the first time, they didn't eat any seeds, just spammed "cancels give food: no food available"; dumping and reclaiming the seeds didn't change a thing. When a water buffalo was slaughtered, the dwarfs dropped everything they were holding and sprinted to the butchery to grab some meat to eat.

I've no idea where the idea that rock nuts are edible raw comes from, clearly not from observation :P

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:16:47 pm »

90% of the above advice is completely useless.

Dwarfs don't eat rock nuts raw.

I even went to the effort of verifying: embarked with no food but seeds, including 20 rock nuts. When dwarfs became hungry for the first time, they didn't eat any seeds, just spammed "cancels give food: no food available"; dumping and reclaiming the seeds didn't change a thing. When a water buffalo was slaughtered, the dwarfs dropped everything they were holding and sprinted to the butchery to grab some meat to eat.

I've no idea where the idea that rock nuts are edible raw comes from, clearly not from observation :P

Rock nuts have [EDIBLE_RAW]

But dwarves won't eat seeds anyways, at least that I know of, so it doesn't matter.

Might want to check your stock menu, and see if you can zoom to any of the seeds. A great number of things could have happened to them, ranging from a dwarf carrying them back to a stockpile, making them unusable until they are put down, to them somehow falling into a murky pool or down a waterfall.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 07:46:51 pm »

Ah, so that's why. Interesting. There are a few items that have the EDIBLE_RAW flag, but will not be eaten raw - royal jelly, honey, dwarven sugar and syrup, and, of course, rock nuts. Seems that a dwarf will only try to eat items raw when they belong in the PLANT, FISH or MEAT categories, everything else is ignored.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 11:09:53 pm »

Perhaps you are planting too late in the season and when the season changes to one that does not allow quarry bushes, all your rock nuts in the plot die. Try setting the field to be fallow the season before and the season after (2 crops a year per field) so that there is nothing stopping them from planting at the start of the season.