Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anything i must keep in mind when retiring a fort?  (Read 2729 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
anything i must keep in mind when retiring a fort?
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:26:22 am »

i plan on temporarily retiring a fortress so that i may have hand crafted adventurers in my fortress, are there any dangers about such an procedure that i should be aware of or some common mistake people make when attempting this? (the specific adventurers i plan to make are ones that are legendary in niche skills like cooking and perofming or just peasant adventurers with more valid skills, all of whom are charmeleon women and some normal peasant miner dwarves and lastly a few stronk but unskilled dwarves for hauling and only hauling)

also can retired fortresses starve, have residents leave etc while you are away, and on an completely unrelated note how do you force / encourage an member of your military to use an unarmed skill like biter or kicker in combat? will it be sufficient for them to have the most skill in that type of attack compared to other weapon skills?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: anything i must keep in mind when retiring a fort?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 11:09:20 am »

I don't think there are any problems with retiring a fortress (no starvation, etc.), but unretiring has a large number of bugs associated with it, such as all booze spilled onto the floor, everything under an ocean flooded, things locked in released, non hostile hostile visitors, and more. People who actually unretire fortresses might be able to tell you more.

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:02:18 am »

Ooh, first time posting here and got some stuff to share about it.

Retiring works quite okay, !fun! stuff happen when you unretire though.

If you made a trap/farm with an untrained wild animal(Giant cave spider, dragons etc ) that guy will be placed somewhere random when you unretire and if they are caged, they'll likely be badly trained and loose somewhere random. I ended up with some named creature corpses and half the fortress melted that way before I figured that out. Butcher them or wall them off somewhere before retiring ( they were released but still contained ). Caged invaders disappeared for me ( had a bunch of them in stockpiles with 3 of them built in beastiary, all of them were gone upon unretiring )

If you have a monarch, monarch may decide to go back to the original mountainhome. Mine did , took her artifact bed from her room with her. She was in her royal guard military squad ( Martial art training good mood purposes )  and  thus she was bugged on the military screen, stuck as 'traveling'.

Your artifact list gets bugged/reset upon retiring. I don't know how that works, I had several pages long artifacts/books in the menu, but when I unretired the list was more or less gone. I did check where they were stored ( guildhalls / museum ) and there wasn't any empty pedestals so I'm assuming they were still there, just not on the list.

Any chests you placed in dwarf bedrooms will be removed and hauled to storage, it may be keeping cabinets, I'm not sure, program generated forts seem to have cabinets in them so they may stay. Armor stands/weapon racks get hauled also I think.

The booze/food stored in fort seems to still be there when you go there with an adventurer, I stocked many adventurers by sneaking in and grabbing some quality grub that way. When you unretire though, almost all your booze will be gone.

Your favorite dwarves may get a barony and leave the fort. I ran into one of the war heroes in the original mountainhome and she was marked as a baroness. Her husband was still in the fort I retired.

When you unretire, it will seem bugged for a while due to LOADS of hauling jobs present. Gets better in time.

If you used quantum stockpiles, they may or may not need re - building. Stockpiles keep their proper settings, minecarts are hauled away, tracks are present. Sometimes they work properly once you put back the minecarts, sometimes you need remove tracks, rebuild tracks and create a new hauling route.( It could also be that they are in a low priority because of the LOADS of hauling jobs )

May keep posting more about it. I accidentally embarked with a dying civilization and doing a lot of retiring/unretiring, adventuring/ legends browsing atm.

Edit: Spoiler part grammar was even worse than it is right now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:08:01 am by Thon »

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:58:00 am »

Ooh, first time posting here and got some stuff to share about it.

Retiring works quite okay, !fun! stuff happen when you unretire though.

If you made a trap/farm with an untrained wild animal(Giant cave spider, dragons etc ) that guy will be placed somewhere random when you unretire and if they are caged, they'll likely be badly trained and loose somewhere random. I ended up with some named creature corpses and half the fortress melted that way before I figured that out. Butcher them or wall them off somewhere before retiring ( they were released but still contained ). Caged invaders disappeared for me ( had a bunch of them in stockpiles with 3 of them built in beastiary, all of them were gone upon unretiring )

If you have a monarch, monarch may decide to go back to the original mountainhome. Mine did , took her artifact bed from her room with her. She was in her royal guard military squad ( Martial art training good mood purposes )  and  thus she was bugged on the military screen, stuck as 'traveling'.

Your artifact list gets bugged/reset upon retiring. I don't know how that works, I had several pages long artifacts/books in the menu, but when I unretired the list was more or less gone. I did check where they were stored ( guildhalls / museum ) and there wasn't any empty pedestals so I'm assuming they were still there, just not on the list.

Any chests you placed in dwarf bedrooms will be removed and hauled to storage, it may be keeping cabinets, I'm not sure, program generated forts seem to have cabinets in them so they may stay. Armor stands/weapon racks get hauled also I think.

The booze/food stored in fort seems to still be there when you go there with an adventurer, I stocked many adventurers by sneaking in and grabbing some quality grub that way. When you unretire though, almost all your booze will be gone.

Your favorite dwarves may get a barony and leave the fort. I ran into one of the war heroes in the original mountainhome and she was marked as a baroness. Her husband was still in the fort I retired.

When you unretire, it will seem bugged for a while due to LOADS of hauling jobs present. Gets better in time.

If you used quantum stockpiles, they may or may not need re - building. Stockpiles keep their proper settings, minecarts are hauled away, tracks are present. Sometimes they work properly once you put back the minecarts, sometimes you need remove tracks, rebuild tracks and create a new hauling route.( It could also be that they are in a low priority because of the LOADS of hauling jobs )

May keep posting more about it. I accidentally embarked with a dying civilization and doing a lot of retiring/unretiring, adventuring/ legends browsing atm.

Edit: Spoiler part grammar was even worse than it is right now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

question: what about liquids and alchohol that is stored safely within the water skins of adventruers, will such booze stay put? it is well known what happens to liquids in reclaimation, just curious, i am still really early in my fort, have less than a dozen dwarves and so i will probably not need to worry about loosing artefacts or nobles

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:28:11 am »

Haven't retired adventurers at all so no idea. Fort wise, usually I'm up to 150+ dwarves with farms/workshops/well fed from underground caves so I never had to pay attention to it. One good way to check it is save the game, copy the folder, and run the test on the copy. Some call it savescumming, I call it science.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:50:27 am »

Save scumming is really reverting to a previous save to recover from mistakes, and it really is an issue only if you then brag about achieving something but "forget" to mention that it took 50 attempts to succeed. DF is a sandbox game, after all. Using the same save as the source for controlled experiments is indeed good science.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 08:33:45 am »

All liquids. including those in waterskins, will be dumped on reclaim. They are available to adventurers.
Weapon traps are deadly. Don't build those on places your adventurer has to go.
Cabinets and chests will be unbuild. This happens in innsm temples, bedrooms etc.
Items will be scattered unless on display.
Clothing will be replaced by standard clothes eventually.
Prisoners will be released.
Caged creatures underground will be released.
Animals assigned to someone will keep following that person when switched to adventure mode.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:59:43 pm »

i plan on temporarily retiring a fortress so that i may have hand crafted adventurers in my fortress, are there any dangers about such an procedure that i should be aware of or some common mistake people make when attempting this? (the specific adventurers i plan to make are ones that are legendary in niche skills like cooking and perofming or just peasant adventurers with more valid skills, all of whom are charmeleon women and some normal peasant miner dwarves and lastly a few stronk but unskilled dwarves for hauling and only hauling)
I'm currently doing this, too. A few points in addition to what the others have said:
1. Pastures lose all assignments, so they'll have to be rebuilt.
2. Some of my stockpiles weren't working correctly, especially food. So I ended up rebuilding most of them.
3. Items in bins remain in their tile, but outside their bins. This made rebuilding those stockpiles more difficult.
4. If you're tempted to add an animal person, as I was, read this thread. You can still give them military training, but they move very slowly and their vision is weak.

Edit:
5. I seem to recall that my site's government was suddenly at peace with everyone, at least for a while.
6. All justice sentences are considered served, and all prisoners are released.
7. Lots of visitor weirdness. Next time I retire a fort, I'm driving out all visitors first to see if that helps.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:02:45 pm by Leonidas »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 05:43:23 pm »

A lot of furniture gets unbuilt for whatever reason--I had to rebuild my entire library because every bookcase was unconstructed while remaining in the exact same spot. Ditto room furniture like cabinets.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 04:21:54 pm »

I've not had any trouble with retiring and unretiring fortresses. When you unretire, you just need to redo some of the house keeping to get it back on track (eg job manager orders).

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 07:05:39 am »

A lot of furniture gets unbuilt for whatever reason--I had to rebuild my entire library because every bookcase was unconstructed while remaining in the exact same spot. Ditto room furniture like cabinets.
I wonder if this is because they are containers that had items in them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 08:43:21 am »

Old thread but there's a lot of important stuff here and I just wanted to mention that in the current steam release all of this still happens and I wanted to also include that also bags of powder will also be dumped all over the place

And upon unretiring a fort in the current version you start off with 4,000 food regardless of how much food you had before retiring and zero drink , and all work orders prior to retiring are gone.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 09:12:05 am »

There's quite a number of threads about retiring/unretiring shenanigans, which are probably still relevant with 0.50->

The Planning For Retirement thread has a quite comprehensive list of what you should consider when retiring/unretiring.

Unretire mechanics and bugs has discussions and rants about bugs, but also mentions that some "bugs" are intentional.

Then there's the DF Wiki page on reclaiming fortresses, which lists much of the same stuff.