Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whirlpool?  (Read 10417 times)

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
Whirlpool?
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:52:30 pm »

I had fun today. My goal was to create a nice pool in the middle of my meeting area for my dwarves. So what I decided to do was make a hole in the ceiling that would allow a tunnel from the river to come in and fill the channelled out pool. I would then throw a lever and cut off the flow of water. It would have worked fine, if I had not forgotten that things can travel diagonally. Needless to say that poorly placed floodgate caused my fortress to flood. Dwarves began moving stockpiles, trying to salvage everything of value, while my miners feverishly dug channels to slow the rising waters. I managed to get a floodgate up by repeatedly touching it (took a damn 10 minutes IRL). Unfortunately my entire fortress was more or less underwater. Luckily While digging I came across the first cavern. This was exactly what I needed. This was the drain to my figurative dwarf bathtub. I tunnelled underneath the original pool which just happened to be on the edge of the cliff descending into the cavern, and made a single upward ramp. Immediately water began rushing down into the caverns, I watched as water flushed out of my fortress and into the caverns below. Now what I did not know was that my dwarves were now being sucked into a whirlpool. I got notification after notification saying that Urist McWeakswimmer died from colliding with an obstacle. Caverns began to fill with blood as more and more dwarves got sucked down the drain, being pounded against the rock walls on their way down. When the water in my fort receded leaving only mud, I had lost about 12 dwarves to the hell drain. But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlpool?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »

But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Oh my Armok I laughed so hard at this.  I'm sorry I have to sig it.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it. Also, a couple of the survivors were comforted by a lovely waterfall recently.

I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »

" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 07:24:11 pm »

" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."

Sigging.
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:06:06 pm »

That was hilarious XD
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:19:16 pm »

This gives me an idea for a self cleaning drowning trap...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

Wow. A third of the posts had sig-worthy quotes, and another third were announcing this.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:16:22 pm »

That borders on an idea I've already had and am currently trying to put into practice of a self looting trade depot!
Though, perhaps a whirlpool at the bottom might add a nice touch to it.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:02:21 am »

That borders on an idea I've already had and am currently trying to put into practice of a self looting trade depot!
Though, perhaps a whirlpool at the bottom might add a nice touch to it.

Bah, anything with trade depots is pretty over done at this point.

Whirlpools are the new in-thing!

Also: I miss when steam did damage to things. If that were still the case, I'd be in Heaven.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:13:16 am »

Apply pressure, receive hilarity.

This thread is making me start to wonder if I should use drowning traps that work with whirlpool mechanism rather than "drown them all, slowly".

Oh, I know.

Magma whirlpool trap.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:28:57 am »

Apply pressure, receive hilarity.

This thread is making me start to wonder if I should use drowning traps that work with whirlpool mechanism rather than "drown them all, slowly".

Oh, I know.

Magma whirlpool trap.
Preferably having this magma whirlpool drain at the base of the magma sea. For maximum FPS death.
also sigging
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:34:40 am »

Something for the OP to keep in mind when conducting further water-works:  You can drain an infinite amount of water off the map through edge tiles which have had fortifications carved into them.  No need to dig down and find the caverns, simply dig a drain tunnel to the edge of the map, the smooth and fortify the edge and let the water flow out.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:50 am »

Hmm... perhaps this could be weaponized. You'd need an aquifer and a way to water-proof your fortress, but it should be doable. Just flood the entire map.

Of course, you could just flood the entire map permanently...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »

sigged also
Pages: [1] 2