Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fortification... indoors.. flood  (Read 2101 times)

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fortification... indoors.. flood
« on: October 07, 2006, 09:07:00 am »

hint.. don't slap fortification indoors near river.... unless isolated with lots of doors...

floods go right through the fortification... (why???)

... and there i was thinking i'm smart in making a few guard room like positions (well.. really.. to make it look a bit prettier to be dead honest)

is there anyway to "defortify" a wall?

--
mind you... good thing it happened just now... when i have only fortifications facing outside (as in the cave river)... had a bright idea of maybe fortifying the walls facing the inside of the fortress as well......

[ October 07, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fortification... indoors.. flood
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
floods go right through the fortification... (why???)

Fortified walls have holes in them.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »

. . . that would be my guess, too.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 01:30:00 pm »

I actually like it that flooding passes through fortifications. It allows you to nile, tower-cap and bush farm the cave river without having to leave any nonbridge areas exposed to watermen/frog/crocodile attacks. If you want to seal up a fortified tile against water I guess you should mine it out and replace it with a floodgate.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »

i just went from 16 happy little dwarves to being invaded by a horde.  now i have 43 dwarves.  one of these was a child who almost immediately was struck with a strange mood and took over my only craftdwarf's workshop.  the imp is screaming for the correct ore and the right stone.  the kid likes slate, which i have had, but don't seem to own at the moment (guess i gotta dig some more *sigh*). too bad my still and loom are in the same room, as i think i'm gonna lock him up soon.  i've got enough to worry about with the huge influx without fey kids messing around with the equipment and possibly killing the big people (i mean dwarves).
cause of unexplainable mischief

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

quote:
it has holes in it

that much isn't in doubt.. but at what height? i would have thought it would be possible to have holes at chest/eye level to shoot... nothing more stupid than to have holes in the wall at groin/leg level for enemy to shoot in... unless the flood is more like a tsunami...

as for nile... yeah.. thought about that. any idea how far towards the outside river it'll flood?

in 2 minds as to whether this should be changed

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »

Remember, these are dwarves. Chest/eye level is probably about equal to a human's thigh/hip level.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 08:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rondol:
Remember, these are dwarves. Chest/eye level is probably about equal to a human's thigh/hip level.
Definitely true. Remember the scene in Helms Deep in the Lord of the Rings? Case in point.

[Well, that and the Z coord hasn't been put into fortress mode yet...]

[ October 07, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 01:44:00 am »

.. of course...  but is the flood wave that high?

that's not taking into account of platforms at raised level just behind the wall (so they can shoot down whilst the enemy has to shoot up... well... that might just make it level.. heh)... assuming that exists.

so now i've got 2 types of nile farms.. one on either side of my entrance to the cave river..

there was another flood.. but there's a tiny bit in the one behind fortification that's not flooded... bah...

anyone know anything about ponds? as in... what the heck does it do? will ponds getting flooded be a problem?

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

Fortifications are also choosy about their flooding behaviours.

Natural floods (from the river overflowing) will pass through them, but an unnatural flood (from a floodgate + lever) will be blocked.

As for the height of the water in said natural floods...  I would assume that it is pretty deep, if it is washing horses away (which I have seen many times in my fortresses), and I'm assuming that would make the water at least head level for a dwarf, if not higher.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »

The point of ponds is that they can fill with water, and once filled they'll hold the water, and you can place captured fish and such in there to increase happyness.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:47:00 pm »

Heh I found that out two nights ago as well, as my poor farmer was carried downstream.    I didn't think about the farming aspect of it, but that does sound like a nice feature if you don't trust floodgates or want a secondary area