Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Whats your Definition?  (Read 4751 times)

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
Whats your Definition?
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »

As the title suggests, whats your definition of Dwarf Fortress?
DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your Definition?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »

Sort of a cross between Sim City, Lord of the Rings, and Grand Theft Auto.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TicklemeFeather

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
    • TicklemeFTR's Simple G19 keyboard GUI
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:47:36 pm »

I need an awesome definition to pursuade my friends how awesome this game is. Thing is they wont believe me because of the ascii graphics.
DF as a game is the equivalent of sitting down and having a conversation with the homeless guy in the park who screams about flying children trying to rip his skin off.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:52:56 pm »

Usually people who are convinced to play become so because they hear a story about one of the more impressive/insane/crazy-awesome people have managed. Have you pointed them towards the saga of Boatmurdered, or One Dwarf Against the World, or Headshoots, or Undergrotto, or anything like that? If anything will convince them to try it, it's "Here's this awesome that you can do in Dwarf Fortress. Go try it and see if you can top it!"

Alternatively, what sorts of things do those friends like? That'd help narrow down what to say to convince them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

To me, it really is that DF is a true sandbox game, the player is given the tools to make his own fun, and then everyone can have his own kind of fun. Be that building a metropolis, a utopia, a war camp, or a wooden above ground fort designed to provoke war with everyone. If I can't decide to go somewhere random with just the dwarves and exactly 38 cows and 81 stones, only to build up the stones into a huge tower and toss the cows off it, then it's not a sandbox game.

The fact that DF is extremely detailed really helps. Weapon traps cutting out the liver of invaders? Can't get that kind of gruesome detail in other games.

Yeah.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »

Basically talk about how detailed the body scheme is, mention that with the right tools, using a height map and general wind direction you can create fairly accurate maps of real formations.  (points to maps of Europe and N.A) and anything built with magma (points at magma defense thread.)

Also, !!SCIENCE!!
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

thehippopotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »

Show them Boatmurdered, I was on the fence about playing DF, read the saga of epic dwarfs, elephants, and fire... so so much fire, then bam, I start and now I can't stop...

Also, you could just tell him that it's the first game to allow you to butcher cats and then to instead of eating them, pile them in front of a floodgate that's the input for a drowning chamber so that any one you drown finds themselves surrounded by a swirling pool of cat parts... Honestly... how could you not play this game...
*In reasons you love DF thread*
57. You ask people for tasks and are disappointed when they don't tell you to kill a Winged Iron Giant Lobster that lives in a makeshift shrine.

Quote from Girlinhat:
"Dwarf up.  Don your leather armor and wooden axe, and go slaughter 10,000 zombie bull sharks.  Your beard has lost its luster in these years of plenty."

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:11:52 pm »

How come I never hear anyone talk about Syrupleaf?
Sure the two stories before it were great but Syrupleaf is almost novel quality.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:22:12 pm »

Sure the two stories before it were great but Syrupleaf is almost novel quality.

I agree. I actually liked it over Boatmurdered...

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:34 pm »

I usually define Dwarf Fortress as SimCity and Oregon Trail having a threesome with Warcraft 3. Alternatively, the closest equivalent possible to digital PCP.
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 09:51:30 pm »

I just talk about my fortress defense.

"Yeah, so I got these dwarves who dug out a home.  Occasionally, goblins show up and try to kill them.  I rigged the bridge they have to enter through to drop them into lava.  After crushing them.  Then I turn that into obsidian.  Then I use said obsidian to make the bridge for the next group..."

Also:  So I accidentally locked a dwarf in a room and poured lava on his head.  I meant to do that to the noble.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »

My friend just got me into it when I came over to his house one day and he showed me his fort.  He talked about how you dug down and found caverns that were inhabited by big evil monsters and how you could dig to a circus, then explained how he had created a drawbridge across a dammed and diverted river.  Of course, I'm a huge fan of Roller Coaster Tycoon and Civilization type games, so I immediately wanted to make a fortress that had no design restrictions.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 10:37:13 pm »

It's like the Sims, in the same way that changaa is like lemonade.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 03:56:04 am »

It's not a game. It's a fantasy world simulator. What you can do is only limited by your own mental capacity. Or lack thereof.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 06:26:53 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Fun with a capital F.

You should show him the Bronzemurdered story. It is short enough to actually read, and it still shows just how Fun DF actually is.
You could also try the "Have you ever wanted to make a tower out of soap?" line.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."
Pages: [1] 2 3