Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just a quick Seed Question agbout 33g  (Read 822 times)

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just a quick Seed Question agbout 33g
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

# made world generation results independent of custom name

Does this mean I will not get the same world I used to have if I used a custom name? If so, does this mean we have LESS seeds than before? Or was the custom name just shifting the seed to a different but still accessable number?

Like seed 123456789 with a custom name 'Timmy' turning into 123465987 or somesuch, still findable, but now without some silly extra bits in the way.

I ask this as I really like this seed or three I've found, but I worry that I will never be able to generate them again, or at least never be able to find them.

Sorry to trouble you so early in the morning.

Mick E Finn

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just a quick Seed Question agbout 33g
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:36:00 am »

Actually, Toady has said that world generation seeds from this release will create different worlds from the old versions whether or not you used a world title or not. However, save compatibility remains, so if you really like one of the older version worlds you can still generate it using an older copy of Dwarf Fortress, and then use that world in the new version.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Thats somewhat good and bad then, I can keep the old worlds so long as no awe inspiring new mega feature might go missing in the world generation. Ah well, this seed was terribly nice, but there's plenty more seeds in the stack, I'll survive.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

There are still the same number of possible worlds.