Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Re-installing Internet Explorer  (Read 6261 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re-installing Internet Explorer
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:12 pm »

so everyone always tells me how much better Firefox is than Internet Explorer. About a month ago I got fed up with their nagging and decided to give it a try. I've been using it for over thirty days now, and I'll be absolutely honest: I can't stand it, and now I wanna get rid of it. Trouble is, it seems to thwart all of my attempts to re-install IE! Does anybody know how to get around this?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re-installing Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »

Wait, you uninstalled IE?  I didn't think that was possible.

So if you download a new installer (e.g. here), and run it, what happens?

Edit: I have three internet browsers currently installed, none of them hate each other.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:19:25 am »

Odds are you didn't uninstall IE, but rather don't know where it went because it's not your default web browser anymore.

Click the Start button, then Run, and type "iexplore" in the box and press Enter/OK. If IE loads up, it's still there. If it did, go to the Tools menu in IE, click Internet Options, go to the Programs tab and change IE back to your default browser.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about Firefox?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:16:19 am »

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about Firefox?
This.

I was a long-time user of IE (fifteen years? Netscape Navigator before that... lol) up until I got fed up with 8. It had horrible performance for its 32 bit version (lagging on large pictures during a scoll, subpar performance on flash/java, and download limits that should've been erased two-three versions ago) and the 64 bit version didn't have compatibility for one of the two (flash or java, I forget which).

Switched to Firefox, never looked back. Addons are probably one of the biggest things that I like about it; HackBar and Tamper Data are nice if I want to "play," NoScript, DownThemAll, and Ad-Blocker-Pro are almost essential, and the various tweaks and optimizations that make the browser run faster and more smoothly, like IE should have been in the first place.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:40:36 am »

I'm also curious what you mean by "download limits" in IE8. Explain?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:05:41 am »

I'm also curious what you mean by "download limits" in IE8. Explain?
Try downloading anything over 2GB in IE. It simply quits once it gets to a certain point. Maybe it's been changed since then(I think it could be 4 now), but it was always a huge pain trying to direct download something and then having it mysteriously cancel.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:07:25 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:09:25 am »

There are so many other options. Try them.

Don't give IE a chance. Friends don't let friends use IE and so on and so forth.

Also, I'm sure FF doesn't in any way try to keep you from reinstalling IE.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11:01 am »

Wait, you uninstalled IE?  I didn't think that was possible.

So if you download a new installer (e.g. here), and run it, what happens?

Edit: I have three internet browsers currently installed, none of them hate each other.

If I run that installer, it gives me a dialog box with the words 'Installing required updates...' and a loading bar. It fills up about 1/5th of the way, then stops and just sits there forever.

I removed all of the shortcuts to IE from the desktop, start menu, etc. I can still start it up, but it promptly tells me that the 'page cannot be found' no matter what site I try to go to.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:31 am »

Uh, that IS normal. It took me around two hours to get seventh one installed.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:29:49 am »

Give Chrome, Safari, or Opera a try, they should work just as well as IE does.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 10:33:34 am »

I prefer chrome over ff because its lighter. plus i dont have to click on the stupid google search. use chrome! anything but IE....

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:50:24 am »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:58 am »

So yeah, if I can hijack...

My IE6 on my other computer is all effed up right now. It doesn't exit properly when you close it, instead it just sits there frozen until you force it to quit with the "not responding..." box. It only does this some of the time, and I think it might be related to what sites I visit after opening it (that is, certain rare sites don't trigger it). I'm very confident I don't have any malware anymore so I think something just got corrupted at some point or something, I don't know.

Is it even possible to cleanly uninstall and reinstall it to see if it fixes it?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »

Trying to convince me to use another browser will not work, nor is it relavent to the topic at hand. I like IE. Deal with it.

Uh, that IS normal. It took me around two hours to get seventh one installed.

So I just need to let it sit longer? I'll try that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 02:20:28 pm »

While I only use FireFox, I still have IE8 on my computer just in case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4