Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Re-installing Internet Explorer  (Read 6271 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Re-installing Internet Explorer
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 11:25:43 am »

It's actually rather fast, if one process of it crashes, the others do not, and the HTML required to crash it would need to be maliciously inserted intentionally.

The fastest way to get people to stop using it is simply not to create compatibility code in your sites. Eventually people who cannot tolerate it will upgrade, while those that still don't are the ones who wouldn't anyway.
Eh?
Eh!

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 11:45:17 am »

have fun.
Did you actually read that? Cutting out the excess, it can be summarized with: "many flaws were removed in SP2, while others have appeared in other browsers" and "see here". Oh, and continued support for XP SP3's IE6 until 2014. The linked site shows that they have corrected many of the issues and that many of them affect later versions of IE, too.

I'm only arguing that a person should be able to choose the version of Internet Explorer that they use for daily browsing, not that everyone must use what they consider an inferior product. Oh, and that just because it's "common knowledge" that IE6 is full of exploits doesn't nessecarily make it true. Otherwise, the world would have been flat, hundreds of years ago, and gods would exist for every major religion.

If you're going to point out logical fallacies, try not to use them yourself.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 01:59:49 pm »

It's actually rather fast

No, it's not. I've actually done research, and it renders pages very slowly compared to a modern browser.

if one process of it crashes, the others do not

Isn't this true of anything? And why would you even need multiple browser processes open? And how the hell does that affect how "fast" it is?

and the HTML required to crash it would need to be maliciously inserted intentionally.

And it's extremely easy to do so. Seriously, being able to crash a browser in 50 characters or less is not good.

The fastest way to get people to stop using it is simply not to create compatibility code in your sites. Eventually people who cannot tolerate it will upgrade, while those that still don't are the ones who wouldn't anyway.

I already said why it isn't that simple.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 04:42:53 pm »

defending IE6

Speaking as someone who used to be a web designer, this sort of thought process is just unbelievable. IE6 is a horrible browser. It's worse than horrible - it's a kludged together clusterfuck of half-assed, half-ignored standards from a time where most of the decent shit wasn't even in competing browsers. It doesn't support canvas, Javascript performance is prehistoric, it barely implements a quarter of the CSS2 standard (let alone 2.1 or 3.0), it doesn't even do HTML right.

And no, you can't just go "lol fuk u gais, upgrade" because IE6 still represents a significant portion of visitors (estimated 16.18%) to any given site. So you're forced to either cripple the experience for everyone else so a nearly 10-year old browser can ruin it for everyone, or implement a chain of huge fucking hacks to fake it. And no, it's not ok to get by on faking it. It is the browser that is literally killing innovation on the Web. We're doing so much cool shit in modern browsers - even modern IE versions. The web is a really damn exciting place to be, and all the new things, experiences, and possibilities that have been made possible with new HTML / CSS / Javscript standards and new browsers is literally being ruined by IE6 because its very existence invalidates using any of it on any large website. It is holding everyone back.

You don't seem to understand. IE6 is a popular corporate platform. It's something they know and have used since forever. They aren't going to upgrade. They won't listen to logic - they'll continue to use IE6 until such time as literally collapses around them. You can't code them out. That's where the money is coming from, that's what they'll pay you to code it to render on. And all it'll take is one physically or mentally disabled user using IE6 and some piece of software that only works in IE6 because it's a corporate product to not be able to use your website, discover that you've done it deliberately and bam, that's a lawsuit on your arse.

You're defending a decade old piece of software that to this day still receives security updates every month. You're defending software that is literally outdated, outclassed, and outperformed by every other alternative on the market. You're defending software that is stagnating the web and killing the incentive for innovation and progress.

You are the problem I wish we could all ignore.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »

I think, then, that the problem is not individuals who decide to use it, who I am arguing should have the right to use old software if they choose to, but the corporations who decide to use it. If one person uses it and half of the web looks wrong, then it is only a problem to them. Regardless of what browser they use, they have no effect. As you stated yourself, it is the larger groups who are holding everyone back.

I'm defending it as a choice that individuals should be allowed to make. It isn't the best, and it doesn't support newer technology, but it is still functional enough that some people might decide to use it. And if they do, they should be allowed to use it without being constantly harassed by people demanding that they use something newer.
Eh?
Eh!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:20 pm »

it doesn't support newer technology

It doesn't support technology that existed when it was released.

And you're still defending a choice that is inherently insecure, which causes a problems for other people, not just the user. But I've beaten that horse to death already.

The fact of the matter is that you're defending a choice even though the choice is bad in a number of ways and has no reason to be made. Why would you even do that? There's no benefit to using IE6, and plenty of drawbacks. It's a flat-out stupid decision to make.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 03:56:02 am »

Autism makes people do strange things. :3
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:54 am »

Hey, I actually learned something from this debate.

Won't make me delete IE6 from my computer though  ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 05:28:50 am »

I'm still interested to know one reason why anybody would use that isn't "it's corporate policy".

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 07:46:18 am »

Familiarity is the only real reason. An unwillingness to change.

I've battled with my father for a number of years to upgrade, he was using Firefox for a small time, but despite telling me that he could see the difference (in a good way). That he didn't feel comfortable with the browser. He didn't know it and he didn't like that.

Since IE6 was around so long, people got attached. Old habits die hard.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:51 am »

Now, now, we should solve this IE6 question.
Darkflagrance, qwertyuiopas, where do you live?
Everyone bring one log, I bring the two poles and the gasoline.

Then, when justice is done, we should make a congregation for the doctrine of the browser.
And frigging burn the heretics

I think this may get rid of the problem.
If not, magma will be involved.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:48:26 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:13 am »

Reasons why I like IE6:
-Startup speed
-Interface simplicity and consistancy of appearance with the rest of Windows XP
-When you launch a new process, it actually launches a new process
-I do NOT seek out the kind of site that might try to exploit security flaws, so "better security" is far less of an improvement

None of those reasons will matter to you, so you have no reason to use it, so you upgrade. Most of your reasons to upgrade don't matter to me, so I don't.
Eh?
Eh!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 11:07:34 am »

Reasons why I like IE6:
-Startup speed
-Interface simplicity and consistancy of appearance with the rest of Windows XP
-When you launch a new process, it actually launches a new process
-I do NOT seek out the kind of site that might try to exploit security flaws, so "better security" is far less of an improvement

None of those reasons will matter to you, so you have no reason to use it, so you upgrade. Most of your reasons to upgrade don't matter to me, so I don't.
Fine. You use your outdated yet familiar thing, I'll use something more modern.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

I believe, we're being trolled, but in the case we're not :
Why you shouldn't use that browser : outdated, already bad when it was up to date.
The reason why you are not upgrading : you're lazy.
If you were not, you would have found better.
/tread
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 12:48:06 pm »

So, let's say you have something that's exactly like IE6, but not IE6 because we've established IE6 is terrible.

How would you go about uninstalling and reinstalling it to get it working?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4