Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H.E.C. (Human-Elephant Conflict) in the NYT  (Read 1132 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
H.E.C. (Human-Elephant Conflict) in the NYT
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:24:00 pm »

This from the weekend edition of NYT.  Just read the first page to get the main idea.

New York Times Article about Killer Elephants

A couple of quotes:

quote:
All across Africa, India and parts of Southeast Asia... elephants have been striking out, destroying villages and crops, attacking and killing human beings. In fact, these attacks have become so commonplace that a whole new statistical category, known as Human-Elephant Conflict, or H.E.C., was created by elephant researchers in the mid-1990’s to monitor the problem."

quote:
African elephants use their long tusks to forage through dense jungle brush. They’ve also been known to wield them, however, with the ceremonious flash and precision of gladiators, pinning down a victim with one knee in order to deliver the decisive thrust. Okello told me that a young Indian tourist was killed in this fashion two years ago...

Yes, I did realize that elephants are dangerous and agressive creatures in the wild before reading this.  But I didn't know that they actually "razed" villages, or pinned people down to deliver a "coup de grace".  

And then there was this:

quote:
Since the early 1990’s... young male elephants in Pilanesberg National Park and the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve in South Africa have been raping and killing rhinoceroses; this abnormal behavior... has been reported in “a number of reserves” in the region.  

Just as a side note, I wanted to say that I think elephants are fascinating creatures that deserve our concern (and protection in many cases).  I just wanted to point out that the violent behavior of elephants simulated in Dwarf Fortress is not at all exaggerated.  Possibly the opposite is true!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: H.E.C. (Human-Elephant Conflict) in the NYT
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »

It is true, though, that the elephants in DF do not make to destroy you in a shower of gore unless you invade their personal space.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>It is true, though, that the elephants in DF do not make to destroy you in a shower of gore unless you invade their personal space.</STRONG>

That said, their personal space will often enter your main hall.

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 10:14:00 pm »

Raping the rhinos?

What patch is that going to be in?   :eek:

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 06:09:00 am »

Oh yeah, I remember the rampage these elephants made when my hunter wounded one <_<. Killed of entire damn fortress!
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:17:00 pm »

In my current game, the fortress guard will not stop chasing elephants. Out of the 11 that I'm trying to maintain, 5 or 6 are out there at any time, chasing, dying or dead.

My population has dropped from 120 down to near 100 since the mayor arrived, in spite of the "migrants".