Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun Embark  (Read 2338 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun Embark
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »

I just loaded up this embark, and here's part of the unit list:

That's only about half of the water-dwellers.
I have one adequate hunter.

How much Fun do you think this will be?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Embark
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:26 pm »

If elephants because anything like hippos do then your hunter is going to slaughter them without the elephants even raising a tusk in defense.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:31:00 pm »

Hm. You're right. That was disappointing. The only thing stopping my hunter was when he ran out of bolts. The elephants just ran away.

Is wildlife really that weak? Elephants can kill dwarves easily, but they just run away...

catapult_fodder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

I embarked on a mixed Untamed Wilds/Terrifying location, on top of an aquifer.  I brought a military dwarf to protect my woodcutter and the rest of the workers while they were digging through the aquifer.  I quickly forged a full set of bronze armor and hammer for the dwarf, and he had 4 war dogs following him around.

A group of ogres quickly wandered into our fortress, but I managed to kill off the first set of three ogres with hardly a scratch.  The second set of three ogres laid waste to a human caravan, then headed down to my fortress where they slaughtered the military dwarf, and the dogs... the remaining dwarves fled for their lives, abandoning the fledgling fortress.

So, not all animals are that benign.  Maybe there's a way to edit the raws to make elephants and other large animals more aggressive?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:15:16 pm »

I embarked on a mixed Untamed Wilds/Terrifying location, on top of an aquifer.  I brought a military dwarf to protect my woodcutter and the rest of the workers while they were digging through the aquifer.  I quickly forged a full set of bronze armor and hammer for the dwarf, and he had 4 war dogs following him around.

A group of ogres quickly wandered into our fortress, but I managed to kill off the first set of three ogres with hardly a scratch.  The second set of three ogres laid waste to a human caravan, then headed down to my fortress where they slaughtered the military dwarf, and the dogs... the remaining dwarves fled for their lives, abandoning the fledgling fortress.

So, not all animals are that benign.  Maybe there's a way to edit the raws to make elephants and other large animals more aggressive?

[PRONE_TO_RAGE]. Heh. Give elephants all the qualities of badger groups, with their own size, strength, etc. I'm a bit scared to do that, though.

And I've embarked in terrifying locations with nothing appearing but dark gnomes before. It didn't yield much Fun.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »

How's this for a Fun embark:

I embarked on a flat desert. Thought it would be fun.
My civ had no access to plump helmets. So I brought a hunter to fill the gap.
My hunter got mauled in a fistfight with a camel. First one dead.

My sole food source will be underground plants other than plump helmets. I'll manage, but that's definitely a source of Fun.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

You should be able to harvest some wild plump helmets in the caverns.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »

How's this for a Fun embark:

I embarked on a flat desert. Thought it would be fun.
My civ had no access to plump helmets. So I brought a hunter to fill the gap.
My hunter got mauled in a fistfight with a camel. First one dead.

My sole food source will be underground plants other than plump helmets. I'll manage, but that's definitely a source of Fun.
Camels are horrifying in close combat.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 03:22:07 pm »

Yeah hooves are nasty.  You could always give elephants [likes_fighting] so that they aggro on dwarves, likely to yield to bearded deaths :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:23:54 pm »

Yeah hooves are nasty.  You could always give elephants [likes_fighting] so that they aggro on dwarves, likely to yield to bearded deaths :)
Give Elephants gold hooves and then [LIKES_FIGHTING]
It's so !!FUN!!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »

Give Elephants gold hooves and then [LIKES_FIGHTING]
It's so !!FUN!!
Is it bad that that sounds like such a good idea?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:24 pm »

This isn't 23a, elephants are not dangerous if you leave them alone. Unless one enters into your fortress and gets trapped by a dwarf.

...Alligators on the other hand, are FUN. They tend to pursue your dwarves and can easily kill them, but they're not extremely aggressive and a dwarf will probably go away and the alligator will probably lose interest. Also listen to this when an alligator pursues one of your dwarves//kitten/poultry :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

It tends to automatically make the situation humorous.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:24:47 am »

Ah yes, the mythical Carpophant... How many versions exist in the modding section now?  Have one which can fly and breath fire and swim in lava and is common to all biomes.  8)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.