Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Project ARM_0k: Dwarven AI  (Read 14926 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
Re: Project ARM_0k: Dwarven AI
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 02:28:45 pm »

Sir, you are clearly some kind of insane. This is balls-to-the-piano awesome! If you achieve even a sixth of what you're aiming for you are a god among men.
I consider you my superior for even attempting.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »

I had a full report ready for you but my stupid browser deleted it. >:(

if you're using firefox (which you should if you're using ie...) install the Lazarus addon. it saves whatever you type in text boxes, meant to prevent exactly this thing from happening. or use post-scumming :P

This is balls-to-the-piano awesome!

i, for one, lolled hard  8)
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 05:41:38 pm »

Have a mechanical system that is stalled unless enough mechanisms attached to it are disconnected.
That is a very clever idea; I hadn't thought of doing that...  It has the advantage of being fairly simple, which is a major goal in this project.  The only downside I fear is FPS drain, because the computer has to check every frame to see if it's fixed or not.  However, with small numbers of variables (say, a dozen or so) it shouldn't take any more processor power than most other gates.

To avoid pumps and flow, caveins, caused by activating pillars..  While irreversible, they can help count events such as "gaurdian killed" or "trasure looted".
Well, actually I had already figured out how to stop flow when a system is activated.  I hook up the output of a plate in a one-tile resevoir with a pump in to deactivate the entire system that runs the pump.  Or just open a hatch above a tile.  My quantum system has no problems at all with memory storage, that's its main advantage.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 10:29:14 am »

Eurika!  I figured out how to build that pulse generator I needed, and solved my gremlin trap's problem as well!

It looks like this:
Code: [Select]
a) ~¢|__  b) ~~|_   c) ~¢|__
   |^/_ |    |~/_ |    |^_~~|
      | |       | |       |~|
Essentially, it is a bridge and hatch linked to the same input.(a)  The pressure plate is set to the range 2-6, and the entire gate has infinite source and drain.  When the input is changed to OPEN, (b) water rushes in and creates a pulse -one that stops when the tile is full.  When it changes from OPEN to CLOSE, (c) water rushes and creates a pulse until it is fully drained. (The reason it's set to 2-6 instead of 1-6 is so that it will stop then instead of waiting for evaporation.)

And here is the i/o pattern it yields:
Input:  _|¯¯¯¯¯|_____|¯¯|___

Output: _|¯|___|¯|___|¯||¯|_

This gate, therefore, has obvious applications outside this project: think of what you can do when a lever acts like a button instead, automatically "resetting" its signal!  This is what I plan to use for my automatic gremlin trap...

If you need only one pulse, you can eliminate the one you don't need by using an AND gate hooked up to the original input, like so:
If you want the CLOSE─►OPEN pulse only:
    ┌──────────┐
[I]─┴{PULSE}─{AND}─[O]

If you want the OPEN─►CLOSE pulse only:
    ┌─{NOT}────┐
[I]─┴{PULSE}─{AND}─[O]
(You might need to incorperate the NOT gate into the AND gate or add a DELAY for the signal into the pulse; otherwise it might be too slow and send out a pulse anyways.)

With this, my plans for THOLTIG can proceed!  I will─

Arkenstone, DF Engineer cancels Mood: Interrupted by College.
Arkenstone, DF Engineer has gone sane.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:37 pm »

You stated you have uberdwarves with fast skill rates. Does that mean the skill rates tag works now and the wiki needs updating?
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 07:34:54 pm »

What?  I just used the empirical evidance from a thread here from just after the switch from 40d.  I'm not entirely certain how it works, and I think that -5000 in the atrribute range might mean slow DECAY (as apposed to fast gain from 1); I haven't gotten around to perfecting it yet.

But... To my knowlege, the skill tag has always worked.  Does the wiki say otherwise?
      [SKILL_RATES:5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++     
      [PHYS_ATT_RATES:STRENGTH:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:STRENGTH:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]                 +++
      [PHYS_ATT_RATES:TOUGHNESS:5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:TOUGHNESS:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++
      [PHYS_ATT_RATES:AGILITY:5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:AGILITY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:ENDURANCE:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++
      [PHYS_ATT_RATES:ENDURANCE:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:ENDURANCE:5000]
      [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:RECUPERATION:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]        +++       
      [PHYS_ATT_RATES:RECUPERATION:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:RECUPERATION:5000]
      [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]  +++
      [PHYS_ATT_RATES:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:FOCUS:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]              +++             
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:FOCUS:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:FOCUS:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:CREATIVITY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]        +++         
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:CREATIVITY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:CREATIVITY:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:PATIENCE:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++     
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:PATIENCE:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:PATIENCE:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:MEMORY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++             
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:MEMORY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:MEMORY:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:SPATIAL_SENSE:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]        +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:SPATIAL_SENSE:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:SPATIAL_SENSE:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:EMPATHY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:EMPATHY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:EMPATHY:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:MUSICALITY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]        +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:MUSICALITY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:MUSICALITY:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]  +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]  +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:INTUITION:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:INTUITION:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:INTUITION:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:WILLPOWER:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]           +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:WILLPOWER:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:WILLPOWER:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]     +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:5000]
      [MENT_ATT_RANGE:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]     +++
      [MENT_ATT_RATES:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:-5000:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:5000]

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »

does your pulse generator work if the pressure plate goes from 1/7 to 7/7 in a single tick? Does it work if it goes from 7/7 to 1/7 in very few cycles?

If you need someone to do your work for you your work to be magically completed without your direct intervention so that this may continue, suitable prayers may be offered to the various gods of internet fora.

What classes are you taking?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:30 pm »

Well, I do operate under the assumption that it will take more than one frame to fill.  Even so, all water should flow at the same speed, and so however long the pulse is should be exactly long enough for my needs.

Most of the time between my (gen-ed freshman) classes I spend on designing the schematics.  Tholtig's plans are done, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to actually build it.  If you want to help though, I could use a slave peon acolyte prototyper.

The next biggest chalange lies with MORUL.  I need to know if it's feasible to build an elevator.  If you can even get things to go up one level reliably, I could combine it with a water flush system to link that up in series.  If not, then I know I'm going to have a fort that's more or less 2D...

If you want a sneak peek, here's what I plan for MORUL: Each of several locations will have links to different areas.  Large nets will include sending stuff to the depot and ale distribution.  But I'd like to be able to make it all one circut, where each station can direct a load to any other -or make an ale call.  The former is simple; I can use a system almost identical to the prisioner sorter in THOLTIG.  The ale summonning may take more work though, but it shouldn't be too hard.  The only tough thing is the elevator...

MAJOR EDIT:  I just had a revelation. I was going to build up topside, using the aquifer for convinience of drainage, but now I just *KNOW* that ARM_0k needs to be built on the bottom Z-level.  I'll just have to settle for Magma Logic, and using Glowing Pits for drainage.  However, I think I can leave ancillary systems (like what I'm building now) up topside, and just have the MC in #&!! ...

MINOR EDIT:  I'm thinking of adding another AI core, CAT (Consealed Apocolypse Timer) to decide when it's time for ARM_0k to go rouge...  Unless any of you can come up with a name that works with SCAMPS?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:54:32 pm by Arkenstone »

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 03:46:43 am »

With water flowing intermittently over rock, you may have enough bare mud to find that the spore trees from the caverns screw you over. Something to consider?

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 06:51:40 am »

Well if CAT involves everybodies favourite hot stuff you could have:
Secret Concealed Apocalyptic Magma Procedure System

Or on the basis of of the AI going Rogue:
Sanity Co-processor: AI Mental Psychosis Supressor

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 03:34:51 pm »

With water flowing intermittently over rock, you may have enough bare mud to find that the spore trees from the caverns screw you over. Something to consider?
Hm...  Well, my design has less flowing water, but you're right.  I think I shouldn't have to worry about trees growing under my plates though, and I can put down bridges that don't raise or roads to stop them elsewhere.  However, it might be better to use magma for some gates...

[...]
Or on the basis of of the AI going Rogue:
Sanity Co-processor: AI Mental Psychosis Supressor
SCAMPS it is then. :D

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 04:06:20 pm »

Where's CL&WN on the list?

Time to come up with a catchy acronym...
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »

Hm...  Well, my design has less flowing water, but you're right.  I think I shouldn't have to worry about trees growing under my plates though, and I can put down bridges that don't raise or roads to stop them elsewhere.  However, it might be better to use magma for some gates...
Don't stockpiles prevent tree/scrub implantation?

Of course, magma is better.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 10:44:26 pm »

Clownite Leggings & Window Nobles

???
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 12:11:00 am »

Clownite Leggings & Window Nobles

???

Creature Launching & Weaponizing Nanoroutine?

Clown Layer & Watching Node?
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4