Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Project ARM_0k: Dwarven AI  (Read 14760 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Project ARM_0k: Dwarven AI
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:31 pm »

ARM_0k stands for Amalgamated Randomizing Malevolence at 0k resolution.

Spoiler: Original 'pitch' OP (click to show/hide)

Edit:  I've realized how many of my designs rely on untested concepts, so I've decided to start a different thread (not up yet) for research before I begin construction.  When I do eventually start I'll decide to weigh my options: if I think I can do it without resorting to 'cheating' (Überdorfs, Runesmith) then I will.  I won't be starting until the final plans are finished and tested though, so don't wait on this with baited breath...

What I need on this thread then is suggestions for what should go in the maze.  That's a megaproject all on its own really, but sadly I'm not too creative when it comes to making new traps, only making new traps work.

The 'maze' will be done cube-style, meaning I'll have a grid of rooms (that aren't neccessarily the same size) with connections between them and trapless junction rooms.  I need something to go in those rooms, besides for "monsters".  The catch is they have to have a trick to them, some way to get through them by logic, not trial-and-error.

Each room will be color-coded to a discription I'll add to a .txt that goes along with the save, so if the answer lies in a riddle that's fine.  Any puzzle that you can figure out that has a definite (and therefore punishable) "wrong" answer to it (like a giant game of sudoku that dumps lava for wrong answers) is ideal, rubix's cube-like puzzles that get harder if mess up are a close second.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:56:23 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Project ARM_0k: Dwarven AI
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:23 pm »

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

Is the randomness of the in-game random number generator known for certain? In the other thread, someone claims that the incidence of pressure plate triggering is predictable.

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

I think the relationship was clearly intended.

Edit: have you tested how long it takes for a series of drawbridges to toss an item to its destination?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:17:23 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:42 am »

No, I'm in the process of testing the basic concepts in a fort run by überdorfs. I got distracted trying to set up a trap to capture the river's supply of carp though...  :P  But anyways, if the random number generator is not 100% random then that could be used to our advantage too.

And yes, the name relationship is intentional.  Of course it is... ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:10:40 am by Arkenstone »

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:43:24 pm »

OMG!  I had modded my überdorfs to have an accelerated skill gain, and one just showed up as a migrant with legendary in FOUR SKILLS.  :o

Spoiler: Full skill list: (click to show/hide)

The same migrant wave had two normal dwarves (I left them in but I guess I didn't make [POP_RATIO:] low enough) and one other überdorf that's just an expert weaver; I'm gunna sacrifice the two regular dwarves as part of the test of the first randomizer.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:45:30 pm by Arkenstone »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »

Too bad none of those legendary skills are useful.  :P
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

He probably leveled up his Negotiating trying to sell his fish.

As for the project, sounds awesome so far. The only thing remaining is to make it work. Good luck!
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »

In other news, Two members of my three-überdorf-strong military just hacked a GCS to bits with copper battle axes.  It didn't even get a chance to fight back. :o  I think I've already outdone myself; I got an axe lord with under a dozen kills.

The first random generator is ready for testing, but it's a real pain hooking up all the pressure plates.  I've decided to stop at half-done (I'm out of mechanisms anyways) and just test it now.  It is still autumn of the first year.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:38:26 pm by Arkenstone »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »

this project sounds really awesome!
I'll be watching this thread, keep up the good work
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »

Oh yeah? I just got a Legendary +3 Fighter/Striker/Dodger/Armor User as a migrant!  8)

(Along with a Legendary Armorsmith and a Legendary Stone Crafter!)

They're doing jobs faster than I can order them, I think I better reset the [POP_CAP] down to one....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:50:34 pm by Arkenstone »

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »

Oh yeah? I just got a Legendary +3 Fighter/Striker/Dodger/Armor User as a migrant!  8)

Means you've got a four-überdorf-strong military now.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 03:19:12 pm »

Lol, I could send up an unskilled überdorf to wrestle a cave croc and have him kill it without a scratch and then get an elite wrestler out of it.  The only problem I've encountered is that I only have one pick because I can't seem to find anything that I can make a pick out of.  I've found gold and silver and diamonds, but no iron or even copper.

EDIT:  Great, right after I melt down my copper axes but before I can replace them with silver ones I get attacked by a forgotten beast.  This might be good though because I've been told to Beware its deadly blood!  I'm prepared for this though, I have a normal dwarf hermit in a hole with enough food to wait for migrants if necessary.  Time to send everyone at the beast and hope it needs to breathe...

EDIT 2:  The beast was taken down by around a dozen überdorfs, but killed one and another died of blood loss.  Many are injured, and one dorf had to be stupid enough to BITE the beast instead of punch it, and it's blood flew anyways.  The blood stain was (mostly, hopefully all) cleaned up by one of the dwarfs I was going to sacrifice in magma, but that's okay because they drowned in the decontamination chamber I improvised using a murky pool and an aquifer instead.  My main miner has been crippled and is still wallowing in beast blood though; but I hope the fact I removed the general poison class from the dorfs when I made them will keep his head from exploding.  But I already have too many dorfs... Maybe I should just put the hospital in the sacrifical chamber -oh wait, I almost forgot I gave them [FIREIMMUNE] and [FIXED_TEMP] :P

EDIT 3:  At this point it's clear to me that my miner was exposed to the contagion, symptoms are thus:
  • Extreme dehydration.  (I didn't but [NODRINK] on because I wanted to still have them drink ale, and survive on ale alone. ;)
  • Spreading miasma, even though it doesn't say he's rotting. (removing infections might have caused immunity to nerosis)
  • The middle finger on his right hand exploded. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:28:38 pm by Arkenstone »

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »

Lol, I could send up an unskilled überdorf to wrestle a cave croc and have him kill it without a scratch and then get an elite wrestler out of it.  The only problem I've encountered is that I only have one pick because I can't seem to find anything that I can make a pick out of.  I've found gold and silver and diamonds, but no iron or even copper.

EDIT:  Great, right after I melt down my copper axes but before I can replace them with silver ones I get attacked by a forgotten beast.  This might be good though because I've been told to Beware its deadly blood!  I'm prepared for this though, I have a normal dwarf hermit in a hole with enough food to wait for migrants if necessary.  Time to send everyone at the beast and hope it needs to breathe...

EDIT 2:  The beast was taken down by around a dozen überdorfs, but killed one and another died of blood loss.  Many are injured, and one dorf had to be stupid enough to BITE the beast instead of punch it, and it's blood flew anyways.  The blood stain was (mostly, hopefully all) cleaned up by one of the dwarfs I was going to sacrifice in magma, but that's okay because they drowned in the decontamination chamber I improvised using a murky pool and an aquifer instead.  My main miner has been crippled and is still wallowing in beast blood though; but I hope the fact I removed the general poison class from the dorfs when I made them will keep his head from exploding.  But I already have too many dorfs... Maybe I should just put the hospital in the sacrifical chamber -oh wait, I almost forgot I gave them [FIREIMMUNE] and [FIXED_TEMP] :P

EDIT 3:  At this point it's clear to me that my miner was exposed to the contagion, symptoms are thus:
  • Extreme dehydration.  (I didn't but [NODRINK] on because I wanted to still have them drink ale, and survive on ale alone. ;)
  • Spreading miasma, even though it doesn't say he's rotting. (removing infections might have caused immunity to nerosis)
  • The middle finger on his right hand exploded. *facepalm*

He showed it to the FB so much and so hard, it exploded!

And regarding the hermit - you can actually make one self-sustainable by locking him in with seeds and enough materials to build workshops (or even ready workshops) and operate them (barrels etc). Prolongs such a guy's life span considerably. But you knew this already anyway, so... Think it's more effort than it's worth in your relatively-low-risk situation.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »

Test Successful!

I had a full report ready for you but my stupid browser deleted it. >:(

The output is inversed, the normal state for output seems to be "open".  Will test objects other than hatches, like gears.

Also, I need to run for a while and see if it starts to peter out after a while.  I was thinking though that it might be better if I could use the fact that water freezes yearly in order to set annual matainance tasks like refreshing the randomizers and watering the farms, any thoughts?

PS @NewSheoth: yeah, but since he's in the dirt I think it might be worth it to give her (yes, sadly not named Urist though) a large dirt cave and an axe to cut trees down with. (It would only take a few seconds at überdorf speed!)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 06:13:17 pm »

Hoep this goes well.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4