Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Negative Value Artifact - good or bad? Record?  (Read 12343 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Negative Value Artifact - good or bad? Record?
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:03:37 am »

That's right, everything just went AWOL. I am now in possession of a negative-value artifact, of a material not involved in it's creation, let alone meant to show up anywhere in dwarf mode.

Previously explained here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg1694230#msg1694230

It gets worse; After saving, backing up the original, reloading and unpausing, the value decreased even more, and it's listed with a [#3] in it's description.

Before
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Obviously this is because 'magic missile' is a material with a boiling point lower than it's forced temperature.

This is thoroughly awesome but... what the hell do I do?
I have certainly learned my lesson: don't use exploits to increase the value of your artifact. It didn't even use the diamond or emeralds, they're still in the workshop.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:18:16 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Value Artifact - good or bad? Record?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:18:46 am »

Well you could start by reporting this as a bug.
After that you have a choise:
1 Keep it and nothing will chance the lower fort value will reduce attacks.
2 Destroy the artifact by dropping a bridge on it. This will make it's creator very sad and probably insane.
3 Experiment with it and see if you can find a good use for it.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:20:49 am »

Well you could start by reporting this as a bug.
After that you have a choise:
1 Keep it and nothing will chance the lower fort value will reduce attacks.
2 Destroy the artifact by dropping a bridge on it. This will make it's creator very sad and probably insane.
3 Experiment with it and see if you can find a good use for it.

Technically, atom-smashing the artifact would make it even more valuable. Shouldn't that then make the creator happy?  ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

Gift it to the elves. Make them poor.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 02:34:22 am »

Keep it. You just made a fuckin' Magic Missile Barrel.

Seriously. A barrel made of magic missile.

Is that not the most awesomely awesome thing ever?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:34:50 am »

That's not a barrel, it's a black hole!

Out of curiosity, what is magic missile supposed to be used for?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 02:35:04 am »

I was about to report it as a bug, yes. I think I figured it out; When I went back in the stocks screen to unforbid all the other gems, I accidentally forbid/unforbid the ones being used, causing the game to freak out and choose a new base material and forget about the two modifiers. Problem solved I suppose, doesn't necessarily explain the value of the artifact though.
Still worthy of a bug report?

I've already 'tried' 3 because I let the game run. It is now being used to store mushrooms. Somehow appropriate treatment for something so worthless.

Gift it to the elves. Make them poor.

If it's possible, I should. It does contain wood though so it would probably cause them to get angry and leave.

That's not a barrel, it's a black hole!

Out of curiosity, what is magic missile supposed to be used for?

It's used in an adventure mode reaction; you conjure it and throw it at someone, then it bursts into steam and disappears. Not my idea or code originally.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:36:44 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:36:59 am »

I'd be surprised it this was accepted as a legitimate bug, seeing as how you're modding like crazy and all. (But things being different between saves really is a problem.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:42:56 am »

I'd be surprised it this was accepted as a legitimate bug, seeing as how you're modding like crazy and all. (But things being different between saves really is a problem.)

If what I said is correct, it only involves the mods because one was an ingredient and the other comes first in the load order and was picked when it dumped the base material, right?
I make Spellcrafts!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:47:28 am »

Actually, my best guess would be duplicate raws and/or uninitialized material values on modded stuff.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:54:01 am »

You're right about that; the magic missile material has no value defined. That would explain why it's value got even worse when I unpaused too; the material is designed to boil away on it's own, but being an artifact or something prevented this and it instead became a [material]-[#3]-[object] with reduced value?

I guess this is all unnecessary fanfare for a series of mistakes?  :-[

I should use it for science though; to find out if having a negative-value artifact in a noble's room (in a stockpile) will cause 'their head to explode'. It's 2 AM however, so that will wait until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:04:12 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 03:12:23 am »

You're right about that; the magic missile material has no value defined. That would explain why it's value got even worse when I unpaused too; the material is designed to boil away on it's own, but being an artifact or something prevented this and it instead became a [material]-[#3]-[object] with reduced value?

I guess this is all unnecessary fanfare for a series of mistakes?  :-[

I should use it for science though; to find out if having a negative-value artifact in a noble's room (in a stockpile) will cause 'their head to explode'. It's 2 AM however, so that will wait until tomorrow.
The number means it is in a stockpile.
Items in stockpiles have no effect in room value; build a dyer's workshop(I think that requires a barrel) in  A noble's room

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 03:25:28 am »

This appears to be an incarnation of the way that signed integers wrap around. Basically, because of the way signed integers are laid out in memory, there comes a point where adding one to a number causes it to wrap around and become an enormous negative number. By default, the highest value of materials in game probably has no chance of reaching it; but with modified items bringing modified values, it's more than likely
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 03:37:52 am »

I'm guessing it's an uninitialised variable causing the issue.  The material has a value, but without being told what it is in the raws it just uses whatever happens to be in the memory at the time.  I'm guessing if you save, exit and reload it'll change again - with nearly 50/50 chance of being positive.

Which mod is that from?
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 04:54:12 am »

Wow.  Minus 1.3 billion.  That puts your fortress about the same as the US economy at the moment.  Just think - what would Obama do?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4