Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Downloading the DF Wiki.  (Read 4941 times)

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading the DF Wiki.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:12 pm »

Yeah, this thing has been jumping everywhere.

I've got robots from somethingaweful... facepunch... springrts.com... so many places. 17h 50m in. nearly 2 gigs uncompressed. still rolling.
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 07:12:36 pm »

Long plane, railway or bus rides spring to mind, as do long holidays in the middle of nowhere. I'm also frightened to even speculate how my new Windows CE minibook's browser is going to handle the wiki now that someone had the inspired idea of dropping support for Internet Explorer.

I asked Locriani (the wiki's administrator) and he says that isn't true.

[EDIT]

Okay, apparently magmawiki, whenever that's actually finished, won't support versions of IE lower than IE9. I personally consider this ridiculous, but it doesn't really matter until some unspecified point in the future, probably two years from now.

[DOUBLE-EDIT]

Okay, apparently the reason IE8 (and lower) won't be supported on magmawiki is because the more advanced features of it wouldn't be very possible on it. It's looking like it'll still remain basically functional even on IE8 when it's done, including most/all functionality of the current wiki software, hopefully.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:28:04 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »

[Irrelevant rant]From what I understand IE8 and earlier don't follow a number of standards that have been implemented in most websites.  And from what I understand it's from microsoft insisting that everybody should use what works with internet explorer as a standard, instead of what somebody else has come up with. 

IE8 not using that standard was an example of Microsoft refusing to change to try to force everyone to change their stuff to do things microsoft's way. Making something compatible with internet explorer requires a number of things in the code specifically designed for IE and only IE.  Because IE does not respond to the standardized methods that every other browser understands as a matter of course.

Disclaimer: All my information I gained from idle conversation with fellow computer techs at my workplace during our downtime.  Information may not be entirely accurate on all the details.

P.S.  But this entire post is trumped by this statement:  Why the hell would anybody that has more than a passing knowledge of computers use internet explorer for anything?  It's terrible.  All the alternatives are better, and most are free. 

[/rant]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:44:03 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 08:27:12 pm »

If an antivirus can run full thorough scans without any other input than going to the site, imagine what malware can do.

Calling serious bullshit on this. I'm guessing that does it through ActiveX controls, and IE8 prompts you for those by default.

Internet Explorer isn't the insecure mess that it used to be. I don't know how it fares versus, say, Firefox or Chrome, but it's not like it was in the IE6 days.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 08:31:24 pm »

You know, it might be an open question whether the methods by which Microsoft acquired its share of the browser market were completely above-board, but that share stood at around 65% last I heard; bigger than everyone else in the market combined. Something that only works properly in the remaining 35% is stretching the definition of 'standard' a bit.
Not that I use IE or anything else Microsoft if I can possibly avoid it, mind you, though the rise of Firefox seems to have spurred them into making some significant improvements from 7 and onwards. But it's still something to think about.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 08:39:02 pm »

You know, it might be an open question whether the methods by which Microsoft acquired its share of the browser market were completely above-board, but that share stood at around 65% last I heard; bigger than everyone else in the market combined. Something that only works properly in the remaining 35% is stretching the definition of 'standard' a bit.

No, it's not. Standards are defined by external organizations and it's up to the browser developers to adhere to them. We're talking ACTUAL standards, not de facto standards that just happened to evolve over time. We're talking things that have actual specifications, and whether or not browsers adhere to those specifications.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

Indeed, something preferably to think about on a thread in which it is related on... :P

As much as I love arguing about why Microsoft's market share was acquired through devious underhanded means, but this is a thread about downloading the DF Wiki... not why Microsoft's market share was acquired through devious underhanded means. :P

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 08:41:25 pm »

Ah, it seems that yes, that part about the antivirus was indeed bullshit.  It seems the computer we use in the shop to run scans on drives we hook up to it has activex automatically allowed or something to that effect from the antivirus site.  I just ran it on my home computer with IE to confirm, and it indeed it did want to run an activex control.  I apologize for that and will modify the post to indicate my error.

Hell I apologize for that whole rant in general.  After posting it I had second thoughts, but I consider it far worse to post something and then make a massive delete 10 minutes later and have folks who game in late wonder what folks are talking about, then to rant about something unrelated.

Carry on rerailing the thread please.  I'll be over here in the corner.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:47:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »

Kay, updatez, I restarted it but effectively removed the throttle. So things should progress much faster.

Wait... No i think it picked up where it left. Regardless, much faster.

Cheerz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:19 am »

Obviously, the Robots are a secret game mode in DF, and there is a whole hidden area of the wiki that describes how to play this game mode.

In any event, monitoring with interest!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 01:11:40 am »

In case anyone is still confused about robots.txt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots.txt

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:30 am »

I think i'm gonna kill it, i'm at 3.7 gigs and counting. But its been a good while since i've gotten anything from the wiki.
There's dwarftherapist...

oh gawd, robots.txt from 4chan.

I think i've been downloading dwarftherapist crap from googlecode for 2 hours now. I'm practically reconstructing everything DF related into its own separate internet on my HD.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:33 am »

Aight, so i just realized that i really have no idea where would be best to upload this.
Ideas, anyone?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:57 am »

DFFD, maybe?
MediaFire for free of chargeness, MegaUpload for speed?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4