Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Why Plump Helmets?  (Read 19990 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why Plump Helmets?
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:41:26 am »

Pretty straitforward. Why plump helmets? I get that they were a staple at first because of fast growth, many uses, and available all seasons. But why do people still use them when they are more experienced? I personally prefer Sweet Pods and Quarry Bushes, and never farmed a Plump Helmet past the first two weeks of playing (and after an article on the advantages of Q-Bushes have over Plump Helmets).

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Plump Helmets?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:43 am »

Probably because you don't have to spend much time focusing on them. Just order them farmed, occasionally cooked, and you never need worry about food shortages really. It's convenient.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:45:21 am »

Because they're good for diversity in the diet (of both the liquid and solid variety)
*Hugs*

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:47:09 am »

What about quality? Don't you all like high quality meals?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:53:16 am »

I agree with Vinnie, I don't usually get forts to the stage where I can afford to get busy with farms, dyeing, weaving, etc. - I usually get bored/killed faaaaaar before that can happen.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:54:32 am »

My dwarves can eat bat guano and drink their own tears for all I care, as long as they get the face sculpted out of the mountain in a timely fashion.

My forts aren't so much well run fortresses as they are broken down hovels with a monument to bugger-all sticking out of one end that serves as a middle finger to the people who live near it.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:51 am »

High quality meals?
Hmm. . . trash compacting all non-masterwork food with an atom smasher so dwarves are forced to eat the best foods; that sounds like a good way to boost morale in the fort.
Would need a sociable cook who was friends with everybody else in the fort, so the dwarves could compliment the cook on the wonderful meal they just ate.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:09 am »

I aim to grow a little bit of everything in my forts, including surface crops, but plump helmets usually get more space devoted to them than any other underground crop because they're so quick to grow. No other underground food crop can be grown in winter, either.

The other crop I make extensive use of, however, is longland grass. It's easy to leave cooking on repeat and find you've got nothing left for booze, but longland grass can only be brewed or milled. It also seems to be the setting's equivalent of wheat, and I like the idea of rolling fields of corn outside my fortress.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:13 am »

Does milling give back seeds? I never seem to have any shortage after brewing/milling it all, and both the flour and beer are cookable. And a few master growers manage to pull a lot of it out of a 2x10 plot.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 08:03:22 am »

My dwarves drink sunshine and eat sunshine meals. Then they make engravings of dwarves trading with elves. :P

I feel evil.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:05:44 am »

Elves provide sunshine. For that, we can tolerate their kind.
*Hugs*

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:39:30 am »

plump helmet grow in all seasons, grow fast and have multiple use. It's very useful. With that said, I grow sunberries and whipvines.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 09:33:17 am »

Does milling give back seeds?

Yes, the same way brewing does.  Cooking the plant leaves no seeds, but all the other processes ("process plants" too) leave you with seeds.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:58:53 am »

We love Plump Helmets becouse there are men made of them in the caverns, who we can kill. With the right modding we can then eat said people.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:48:32 am »

We love Plump Helmets becouse there are men made of them in the caverns, who we can kill. With the right modding we can then eat said people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6