Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My !!SCIENCE!! expirement  (Read 1896 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
My !!SCIENCE!! expirement
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:43 pm »

I've been working on a large project in my fortress and I decided to post it on the forums, as you can see. I have started butchering animals, and since I don't like to use the exploits like dumping a lot of items in a 1x1 dump and claiming them to compress them, I'm making a contraption to do it with the inedible wastes. In essence, it's just an under-ground tunnel that will be flooded with water, leading to a pyramid-shaped reservoir. Beneath it is a chamber with a garbage dump. Dwarves will put wastes in there, and then doors in the chamber will be forbidden so that dwarves will stay out. A lever will be pulled and water will flood in from the reservoir, washing the wastes down into a tunnel. They then run into a floor grate and the water will continue flowing into a large 21x21 3-deep septic tank. While eventually, the tank will fill up, I think it should last quit a while. Also, since it's obligatory for all dwarvern science to be weaponized, a goblin can be released from their cage in the dump, assuming they have been stripped of weapons, and then drowned in the water flow. Also, I do realize I could use a D.A.S. to do the same thing, but I think this method is more interesting.

Edit: If anyone would care to tell me how to take and post videos/screenshots, I would be willing to.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:06:30 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: My !!SCIENCE!! expirement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »

Automate it with minecarts! Also, you could put a floor grate in the reservoir to drain it.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:05:34 pm »

Replace the water with magma! Then it'll actually be worthy of those exclamation points.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:18:44 pm »

Hm... Interesting ideas. I would automate it, but I don't understand minecarts in the slightest, even after looking at every tutorial on them I could find. I will put in a floor grate for later draining, and I can't use magma because I haven't even breached a cavern yet, let alone found magma.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:30 pm »

I'm really glad I've started this. Getting rid of half my refuse pile would be nice. So... Many... Coyote teeth...

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:28:30 am »

Not to be a stereotypical Bay12er or anything, but wouldn't this whole waste disposal enterprise be more effective with Magma?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:34:35 am »

Not to be a stereotypical Bay12er or anything, but wouldn't this whole waste disposal enterprise be more effective with Magma?
I love how bay12 has grown. "Pardon me, but have you tried magma?"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »

I love how bay12 has grown. "Pardon me, but have you tried magma?"

True, though a big pool of water rotting with all manner of goblin filth is just so unseemly. Magma is !!clean!!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

*Sigh* This could be very, very bad... My legendary +5 miner just channeled out an area in a way that caused him to fall 3 Z-levels onto stone and break his left leg. The bad part is my only other miner at this point is only "Novice" and I don't have a medical system yet. Would this actually kill my dwarf, or immobilize him, or stop him from mining in any other way? He's unharmed other than a few bruises.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:37 pm »

Probably heal over time.  If it didn't break the skin, it's not likely to cause infection, IIRC, YMMV.  If he's still moving on his own (ambulatory) just let him get on with it.  Have the carpenter make a few crutches, and he'll claim one.  Once he gets to legendary crutch walker, his movement speed will be identical to before the injury.  And he gains XP in crutch walker for every tile he moves with a crutch in his inventory (technicaly in use).

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »

As long as you don't set an hospital up, dwarves won't really try to rest, unless they're so seriously injuried that they're passing out from pain or blood loss. Or have nerve damages.

The moment you does, expect a whole swarm coming in to get checked out for that time their finger get pinched :D

If he's resting, then you should go ahead and set up a hospital anyway and a few splints and cloth for your ad hoc doctor to patch him up with.