Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Incredible Teleporting Expedition Leader  (Read 995 times)

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Incredible Teleporting Expedition Leader
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »

Hello! For those that remember me posting a while back, I've been here the whole time. I'm just more of a lurker than a poster unless something weird happens or I really feel I have something to add to a thread.

Anyway, I just started a new fortress a bit ago and noticed that my expedition leader had disappeared on me. I brought her up and looked at her info page and realized she was very, very unhappy, so I investigated why. Turns out she had been sleeping outside, caught in the rain, and eating vermin to survive. This struck me as odd, seeing as I had a fortress full of nice warm beds and delicious meat.

I zoomed in on her, and she was standing on the opposite side of a river that cuts off about 1/4 of my map. I haven't the vaguest idea of how she got there. Under her job, it said she was attending a meeting.. What?

A meeting, with no dwarves, standing out in the rain. Okay, lady.

I tried building a bridge to get her across, but she just happened to be the only dwarf with any skill in architecture, and she was too busy with her invisible meeting to design the bridge for my mason to build it.

Finally I canceled all of the designations I had set for my miners, then sent them to the river and had them tunnel under and pop up on the other side to save her. (Probably the more dwarfy solution, anyway.)

She immediately rushed past them, ran to the fortress and stuffed her face. I still haven't the vaguest idea how she crossed the river to begin with.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredible Teleporting Expedition Leader
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

Did the river freeze during the winter?

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

It was frozen when I first got there, then pretty soon after thawed out. There's a slim chance she crossed while it was frozen- actually now that you mention it, that almost has to be what happened. I'd have just sworn I had seen her milling around since the river thawed.

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:15:17 pm »

What I don't understand is, why didn't you give someone else the architecture job if she wouldn't? Or made a bridge of constructed floors?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:53:21 pm »

Spamming Conduct Meeting?  Dear Armok, she's begun talking to herself...