Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Why Plump Helmets?  (Read 19992 times)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Why Plump Helmets?
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2012, 06:43:44 pm »

I like them because I don't have to rely on cooking alcohol to make solid food. I mean, seriously, what do you get by preparing a meal out of fifty barrels of dwarven rum, anyway? Jellied rum? Rum topped with rum? Rum soup?
Interestingly enough, I tend to get roasts made completely of Quarry Bush leaves.

What do you get when you mix finely minced Quarry Bush leaves, exceptionally minced Quarry Bush leaves, finely minced Quarry Bush leaves and exceptionally minced Quarry Bush leaves? A salad, and those are for elves.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »

No milling, bagging, or anything like that required.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:44 am »

Personally, I don't put plump helmets on high priority.

But I still grow and brew them for dwarven wine anyway, because it rounds out my underground alcohol diversity.  Rum, ale, beer, and wine, and then sometimes I import exotic drinks from distant lands.  And trade for sun berries.  Meh...

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2012, 05:20:53 am »

I'm basically ideologically opposed to underground crops, I like my dwarves to live underground but still be dependent on the surface. So I grow mainly surface crops. There's a lot going for surface crops, in the case of the berries, it's everything which goes for plump helmets, except they take a little longer to mature (but I at least double grow times anyway and it's still too fast). Whip vines and longland grass are good because they can be brewed and milled and you'll get more crops per year than with cave wheat (and whip vines are higher value to boot).

I do usually buy plump helmets from the caravan, just for those dwarves who don't like to feel like they're living in an elvish commune.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2012, 05:24:16 am »

It probably says a lot more about me than I want it to, but I imagine plump helmets in appearance to be rather... phallic.

See also: doctrine of signatures.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2012, 05:44:48 am »

I liked quarry bushes for the cooking, but I hate quarry bushes because I find find that dwarves go right past all those expensive meals and eat ALL THE ROCK NUTS GUAGHRAGHRRGHR.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:59 am »

Plump helmets are the only edible and brewable underground crop that grows in the winter.  So when winter comes, it's either the plumps or dimple cups.  I don't grow them in the other seasons though, growing them in the winter alone after the first year or so when everything is stable gives me more than enough dwarven wine.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 07:40:16 am »

I stopped farming shortly after I got enough FB meat to survive for a century.

Whats more Dwarfy then eating the giant monster you just killed the other day anyway.  ;D

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »

I stopped farming shortly after I got enough FB meat to survive for a century.

Whats more Dwarfy then eating the giant monster you just killed the other day anyway.  ;D
Making it into a roast, of course! some Brain, a lung, and beer, as well as generic meat, for taste
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 03:48:45 pm »

I like it because a few 5x5 farms completely take away any need for worrying about food and booze.  Plus,  if I need any other food, there is always the caravans. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »

My dwarves eat Quarry Bush Roasts with Dwarven Syrup toppings when the fort is well-established. Plump Helmets are for plebs.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]