Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Why Plump Helmets?  (Read 19925 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: Why Plump Helmets?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 01:03:18 pm »

Why do we love Plump Helmets!? WHY DO WE LOVE PLUMP HELMETS YOU SAY!?!? They're plump, they're helmets, they're plump helmets!! The dwarfiest thing there is after rock and metal!!

P.S. Hee hee... rock and metal...
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 04:05:04 pm »

my dwarves live on strawberries and whip vine because I can't be bothered with irrigation
we also grow rope reed and export lots of clo- ...wait SHIT

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »

He's an ELF! Burn him, before he contaminates the children with his environmental awareness!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

my dwarves live on strawberries and whip vine because I can't be bothered with irrigation
we also grow rope reed and export lots of clo- ...wait SHIT

I agree with the irrigation issue. I usually grow strawberries and make strawberry wine. Then I strike caverns, make choke points with walls and cage traps so I can harness the food and wood from the caves. No farming necessary.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »

I haven't farmed a plump helmet since 2D.  Meat all the way!  MEAT!

Then again I've also been playing with [carnivore] on almost exclusively since 2D...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 08:18:27 pm »

Because they're fast, easy to make, can be grown in all seasons, brewed, cooked, traded, etc. Otherwise, I also grow mainly sun berries.
I have a huge farm plot which needs to be irrigated that will be devoted to plump helmets.
On a side note, the only reason I have irrigated my fort is because I accidentally breached a murky pool. ._. My budding fort (first month) was waist deep in water for 2 months.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:00 pm »

I use them in the early days of any fort because they are convenient. Once I get some craft going I often stop farming and import the best ingredients for my cooks and a wide variety of booze.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 09:55:26 pm »

Same reason as everone else. Fast, easy, and plentyful. What else could you ask for?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »

I still farm them, but only because I like to run six farms all with differing produce, and it makes life easy having a sorce of food, alcohole and cooked meals all in one.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 10:10:36 pm »

Above ground plants don't need to be planted on mud?

Why was I not told this important fact?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

Above ground plants don't need to be planted on mud?

Why was I not told this important fact?
Because, as a construct of the internet, the forum is naturally opposed to all intelligent life.
The people on the forum, not so much. Usually.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:25 am »

All jokeing aside from my previous post, I do use Plump Helmets alot myself. I tend to have 3 above ground farms, one for sun berries, one for strawberries, and one for longland grass. Then I have 6 below ground farms, 2 or 3 plump helmets, 1 pig tail, and the others are random below ground crops. So In the end I usually have 9 5x5 farms, more than enough to keep my forts drowning in booze and food. I have that many farms(specificly the multible plump helmet farms) for the sole purpose of 'just in case' something goes wrong, and so my dorfs have a large variety in booze.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 03:49:49 am »

Plump Helmets are good for starting out, but I usually switch to a combination of whip vines and sweet pods later on. I never use quarry bushes, I find that sweet pods are better.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 04:53:18 am »

I grow Plump Helmets cause you can brew them. After one time that I got the unhappiness from a non varied liquid diet show up, I make a point to grow some of every brewable crop both surface and underground. I use 1x7 plots that I fertelize with a single unit of potash to produce stacks of 5 without skilled farmers, yes, every dwarf in my fortress commonly does all the farming group of tasks. I never get a carcass that rots due to the butcher taking a snooze, drink, and then a break before going to haul the carcass back.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 04:55:24 am »

Plump Helmets are good for starting out, but I usually switch to a combination of whip vines and sweet pods later on. I never use quarry bushes, I find that sweet pods are better.

I pretty much do this, but I like quarry bushes because they inflate your prepared food count really quickly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6