Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: canyon engineering challenge  (Read 37189 times)

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
canyon engineering challenge
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

We'll be playing this as both a succession and a community game... Read on.
SYNOPSIS: The goal of each team is to build a stone bridge-city spanning a massive canyon, in no more than seven years. The city's living quarters, dining rooms and other amenities must reside IN THE BRIDGE ITSELF, which should be as luxurious as possible. The bridge must be built ENTIRELY OF BLOCKS - no rough stone or logs.

GOAL:At the end of the seven-year period, votes may be cast to determine which of the completed bridges is the biggest, most artistic, most wealthy and most defensible. If no complete bridges exist by this time, the first team to build one wins. A "complete" bridge is one that has spanned a canyon of at least 80 horizontal tiles and 4 Z-levels.

MAP: Any location with a huge canyon in it in it. I propose SEED:2074608928 (v0.27.169.33g), the Cyclopean Planets of Portent, which features canyons in haunted, goblin-infested regions, but feel free to play anywhere. Each team picks its own starting location, which must be no smaller than 3x3.

TEAMS: Up to seven players per team; each player can RP a dwarf or group of dwarves if he/she feels inclined. Control of the fort is cycled between players; each may play up to one year at a time. All professions/items allowed. Any default items (incl. anvil) may be discarded.

Team 1: Ateshzas Dolek, the Radiant Crystal of Comets
Current players (2/7): Anvilsmith, Valdemar

Team 2: The Fountain of Mystery
Current players (2/7): Red Jackard, ReignOnYourParade, Talion

Team 3: Mountain-banners
Current players: Fedor, Symmetry (join by application)

Plenty of vacant slots so far, so hop in!

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Anvilsmith ]

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: canyon engineering challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

I'll join in on team 1. Nice idea!

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

With death and ruin stacked upon its once undaunted battlements, and carcasses of countless fiends enveloping the countryside, the dwarven kingdom of Eshimon Ingtak had witnessed its most horrible invasion. Dwarves innumerable had been lost to the brigades of goblin outcasts, and those who remained had little but revenge to soothe their minds. The genocide of the marauders, in the mind of every living dwarf, was paramount. Beleaguered brothers donned the armor of their fallen kin as readily as orphans volunteered themselves into the Royal Army, jewelers exchanged their  for traveling supplies, while the gruff caravan-runners that would  prepared for an altogether new journey into the north. In a vast mobilization that would ultimately turn into a veritable exodus, the strongest in the kingdom set forth to the homelands of the raiders. Their mission: to eradicate the menace.

Yet before their arms would brace the flesh of goblin warriors, the dwarven armies needed to defeat an altogether more subtle brand of opponents. The weather, scarcity of food and hazards of a new land were at odds with their intent of besieging the goblins' dominion. Even as supply caravans frequently came to their aid, the leaders of each dwarven legion quickly recognized the need to erect outposts on the way, to help furnish the troops with badly-needed food. As relay posts were built along the way, small groups of pioneers were ordered to approach the goblin lands, and build the necessary installations for the siege in utmost secrecy. Of these, the group known as the Radiant Crystal of Comets, a unit of five soldiers and two peasant auxiliaries, was tasked with erecting a bridge on the canyon above the stream "Taxmuddled".

A heart-numbing glaze of cadaverous foliage greeted the cartful of soldiers as they arrived at the site, glades of long-petrified wood strewn on the numb, snowy terraces of a hundred-meter-deep cleft in the land. Plans for the bridge seemed idealistic at best... It was likely the edifice would die off with the rest of the land in a matter of years. Yet the dwarves set about their toil with admirable courage, determined to see that the fortess Lundeb, known to the humans as Cloudeater, would soar through the heavens in defiance of the putrid gorge below.

This canyon covers 13 total Z-levels, and the higher you go, the wider it gets.  The dwarves arrived at the bottom, naturally.

The bridge, when completed, will have a length of 220 tiles and a breadth of 12 tiles, with supports stretching as deep as 13 z-levels. Quite a few masons will be needed to construct it...

Currently, these are the dwarves:
Urvad Tosidomer, miner
Sibrek Inodrigoth, carpenter-in-training/axedwarf, leader
Unib Tabarathel, mason/macedwarf (Anvilsmith)
Dastot Gerignil, mason/axedwarf
Likod Koshled, grower/macedwarf
Deler Kurikbomrek, fisherdwarf/macedwarf
Olon Kolmeb, peasant

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 11:51:00 am »

don't you think that 7 years is a bit short ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

You don't actually need to build supports, y'know.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stij:
<STRONG>You don't actually need to build supports, y'know.</STRONG>

Maybe true, but the bridges are being judged by form as well as function and at least IMO supports would give it bonus points.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

Maybe I'll give this one at least a little effort

seed: 705981100

Beware, over 100 reject

The Legendary Plane of Wonder

On the volcano "The Fountain of Mystery" in The Ashen Continent of Gifting (volcano near a lake of a large river in a heavily forested region)

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 02:23:00 am »

I'm on RaSchumann's team.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 05:17:00 am »

Okay, RaShumann and Reign, you're on team 2. I've christened it "The Fountain of Misery", for lack of a better name.

As for me, I'm having a wild time in the undead canyon. Apart from near-death at the hands of a frozen stream (in the middle of which my team's seven dwarves had conveniently set up their wagon), the land has offered surprisingly little to disrupt the expedition. The warriors of the Radiant Crystal have dug a small cave near the southern edge of the canyon, and fearlessly whacked the occasional duo of skeletal groundhogs that sought to imperil their campsite.

I'd like to post some pictures on MapArchive, but I have no idea how to take screenshots in-game. Is there a hotkey for that? The wiki certainly doesn't mention any.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 06:49:00 am »

Good luck!
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

Whats a team?

Watch out Reign on your parade, I'm bad at this game.

I am on winter break though.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »

Alright, I'll join team one then. Unless you want me to head team three.

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

Can someone, pretty please with a cherry on top, explain how a team works.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

Ooh, sounds like fun. I'll join in on whichever team needs another man.

Ra, I'd assume that a team works as thus: Each member plays for a year, then passes control (and his saved game) on to the next player.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 01:22:00 am »

Team 1, or 3.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10