Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: canyon engineering challenge  (Read 37334 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: canyon engineering challenge
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

Sign me up for Team Volcano or Team Wildcard. (2 or 3)
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 06:01:00 am »

That's right, Vanigo. Each member passes control of the game to the next player in his team. Once the last player in the team has spent his year, control is given to the first player in the team, then the second, and so on. Of course, it's likely that all seven slots will be filled, so each player will get to play only once.

Gaulgath, you're in team 1.

Torak, Red Jackard, since there are already three players in team 1, I'm encouraging you to form team 3. Be sure you give a name to your team if you accept.

My one-year tenure of Cloudeater has passed; Valdemar, here's the map: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/31656/Canyon-region-year2-zip.html

Please let everyone know if you're going to be inactive; unannounced inactivity of over one week will result in the next player in the team being given control of the fortress.

So what's been going on with team 1's fortress this year? Well, aside from the usual zombie hordes of wild groundhogs, ice giving in, caravans showing up on the other side of the canyon and rats  seeds, there's the interesting discussion the expedition leader/carpenter had with the outpost liaison.

Basically, the carpenter requested quartzite blocks, coal, logs and anvils (at 125%).
The liaison requested prepared meals, toys, shields and... Anvils. Anvils at 179%.
Of course, the caravan had brought no anvils whatsoever.
This does not bode well at all.

Regardless, the dwarves have managed to construct the first pillar supporting the bridge; the pillar is spanning three levels so far, and is expected to rise up to four. I've pre-designed it (using traffic areas and inactive zones) to feature a dormitory on the top level and a dining room on the level below, though these can be changed if the next player sees fit. There's a still and a kitchen further below, as well as a craftsdwarf's and mason's shop at the bottom.

I've also included a half-constructed pump system for sucking water out of the underground farmland below; hopefully, each pillar will contain such a pump system. The water flows up to the bridge's eastern canal, where it either gets spilled outside or flows along the canal based on whether certain floodgates are opened. Tubes cross the breadth of the bridge between the eastern and western canal; water that flows into the western canal can then pour into vertical shafts that go all the way down into the underground farmlands.

The entire pump system is powered by windmills on the sides of the bridge. I'm hoping the high altitudes will give them an extra kick.

Neat irrigation system, eh? It's certainly not a necessary component of the bridge, but I think it would be fun (and useful) to add in. Sadly, I haven't managed to build any sample of it, except for a few pumps on the side of the pillar.

I've also laid plans for a tiny fort at the end of the bridge, meant to house four siege engines, a trade depot (present) and a couple of fortified towers. Feel free to adjust and/or scrap any and all ideas for it.

Some guidelines:
*Try not to build the pillars too far apart - 10 squares' distance would be okay, 15 would be highly unrealistic.
*Caravans will have a very difficult time getting to the depot. Build ramps to fix that.
*I anticipate you'll need about 3 masons per pillar to get it done in one year, perhaps 4 for the really tall ones. Try to have a suitable number of masons building blocks.
*There are supposedly aquifers on this map. Careful where you dig.

Good luck, Valdemar!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 06:18:00 am »

What about team 2? Can players get another turn as long as they are not consecutive?

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

Note: I forgot to write down the dates of events, most dates are wild guesses.

From the Journal of Valdemar Géringnil, Mason:

I've arrived at the fortress of Lundeb, "Cloudeater". My engineering skills have been requested here, as the dwarves here wish to build a massive bridge across the canyon the river has dug. I have been left blueprints by the former leader, Anvilsmith Tabarathel, which show his vision for the first support for this mighty structure.

10 Granite - Kobold scum! Over 5 thieves swarmed our fortress. Most were quickly chased off, but one got away with one of our steel battleaxes! Revenge shall be ours....

Some elves also came to trade. They offered us several cages filled with elk, raccoon and groundhog corpses. I thought they were pacifists... Anyway, we bought several barrels of alcohol with some of Urvad's well-made toys.

17 Slate - Migrants! 19 of them! This will finally allow us to accelerate construction of the great bridge, but our food stocks are quickly dwindling under the load... I've assigned 3 of the migrants to farm, and 5 of them to masonry. The rest can just lug our stone and blocks around for our masons.

5 Felsite - The 4th layer of the support is progressing nicely. I've laid out bedrooms in it according approximately to Anvilsmith's blueprints, but with more symmetry to make it more aesthetic. I've also had to order a large mine dug underground to get stone for our rapidly growing tower.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

8 Malachite - Work on the support continues.

21 Galena - The mighty support is finally completed! The 4th floor now contains 9 bedrooms and a large dining room. Work can now begin on the actual bridge and the mini-fort outlined in Anvilsmith's plans.

14 Limestone - The dwarvern caravan has arrived. Despite Anvilsmith's worst fears, it came bearing quartzite, coal, and an anvil. But they would not let go of it so easily, oh no. It seems our broker has made a mistake in negotiations, for the dwarves were asking for 1790☼ for it, not 1250☼! He must have mixed up what the dwarves were offering to pay and what they were offering to sell. Strange. We cobbled together everything we had, offering the dwarves a profit of over 800☼. But those greedy little highway (err, bridge) robbers declined even that! We were forced to hand over one of our steel maces to appease them, giving them 1100☼ in profit.

Our broker once again requested what he had requested before. The dwarves offered to pay extra for toys, idols, flasks, and drinks.

1 Sandstone - Our stone crafter, Udib Sezukèrith, has been acting oddly recently. I fear he is ill. He's grabbed some stone and shell and locked himself in his workshop. He hasn't eaten for a week.

5 Sandstone - Udib has emerged from his workshop at last. He's wearing a bracelet he calls Zustashmamot, "Ancientplait". It seems that he's learned a lot, as now all of his crafts are of very high quality. Our broker estimates its value at 10800☼.

10 Sandstone - Whoops. That wasn't very smart.

6 Timber - More migrants have come. Six new dwarves have been added to our ranks.

18 Timber - The fort in front of our bridge is complete! Now we can begin extending the bridge across the canyon.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 04:10:00 pm »

10 Moonstone - Monom Zulbanstettad, our cook seems to have had an inspiration, as she is demanding gems and leather. She ignored the yellow jaspers we presented to her, which indicated she wanted a specific gem. Her friends informed me that she has a liking for white jade, which we unfortunately have none of. She soon went stark raving mad.

15 Moonstone - A skeletal cougar is attacking our fort! Our pack of dogs and hunter managed to dispach it, and thankfully nobody was killed.

7 Opal - A horde of skeletal and zombie rhesus macaques are raiding our fort! Three of them each managed to get away with a piece of clothing, and one took a steel bolt. The other two were killed by our dogs before they could escape.

25 Obsidian - More attacks! This time, it was a pack of skeletal groundhogs. We managed to kill them, but I can see skeletal wolves and cougars in the distance. This place is really giving me the creeps. I think I need a break from all this. I'll pass the position of leader to another qualified dwarf, and relax for a while.

Final 3D image of the bridge:

DFMA Map of the fortress

Tips for my follower:

We're running out of alchohol, and the river is still frozen. You should brew some more.
You should also mine more dolomite, as we have very little left for blocks.
Don't build a construction over the one tile in the middle of the bridge - it's a drain.
Watch out for the skeletal cougars that will inevitably invade your fortress.

Savegame

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: Valdemar ]

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Wow, Valdemar, that was quick!

Red Jackard, once every player has taken a turn, in order, they all get another turn, in order, starting from the first player. So if you have 3 players, the overall order is P1, P2, P3, P1, P2, P3, P1, and so on. So, yes, a player may get another turn as long as it's not consecutive.
You're welcome to join team 2 if you like.

Vanigo, how about starting team 3? It seems really underpopulated right now, with a whopping zero members.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 01:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anvilsmith:
<STRONG>You're welcome to join team 2 if you like.</STRONG>

Alright, sounds good.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

Alright red jackard, welcome to the fountains of misery, what do we want our bridge like? I think we can effectively stimulate a suspension bridge...
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 02:33:00 am »

Can you post the layout on the map archive?

I think it'd be interesting to build a bridge suspended over lava.

[ December 26, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

You guys start without me, I don't trust myself that well

though the location is nice

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

Alright then. I'll go ahead and download it.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

How is this coming?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

Right. I was rather sick yesterday, but have now recovered. Work continues.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

I see that ReignOnYourParade hasn't made any progress. Could you take over for him, Jackard?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10