Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: canyon engineering challenge  (Read 37185 times)

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: canyon engineering challenge
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

MountainBanners has been handed over to Fedor to play the final year.
No pics this time because something cool is only half finished and it'll look rubbish until it is finished.  Also it'll be better appreciated if you see the final thing in all it's glory  :)

Good luck to everyone else playing!  
Are there no teams for new players to join?

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

Year 5 is finally complete; roughly 8100 blocks have been placed, and the tallest supports have been placed. Only four supports remain - two spanning five levels, and another two spanning nine levels. If both nine-level towers are built during the next year, there will be enough time left to build the bridge's crenelations and windmill systems.

Valdemar, I removed all stone and block stockpiles; I'm torn as to whether they were helpful or not - I played the year both with and without stockpiles, and no significant differences could be noticed. However, all those hauling tasks really kept the farmers from doing their work, which is the reason for the stockpiles' abrupt removal.

A silly bug killed off the merchants; I hope more will arrive next year.

Food and clothing should be plentiful; enough to feed any population, as long as you disable hauling tasks from the farmers every now and then. I suggest you turn at least ten newcomers into masons, and a few (two or so) into mechanics. Cut as much wood as you can - four planks are needed for each windmill, and there are going to be a lot of windmills. Having a total of 500 planks at the end of the year would be wonderful.

Don't neglect placing tables and beds in the new towers; it takes longer for the masons to do their work if they need to scurry back to their homes on the other edge of the map. For that matter, don't turn the beds into bedrooms, either.

Also, the pump systems are being built far quicker, now that the miners work on architecture in their spare time. I encourage you to build these, as they are essential to the military functions of the bridge.

File URL: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=82

[ March 31, 2008: Message edited by: Anvilsmith ]

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

Mountain-Banners is complete.  Long have we delved and chiseled, long have we stood on guard.  This span has been long a-mortaring, long a-weaving, long a-smelting and a-forging.  Now it is done.  The praise go to Armok.

Savefile:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=92

Viewable map:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2449-mountainbanners

Story:  "A Journey to Mountain-Banners"
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19293.0

--- Statistics ---

We laid 13,600 stone and 253 metal blocks, and placed 205 statues, 110 gem windows, 22 ballistae, and approximately 300 other pieces of furniture.  The suspension cable consists of 208 steel chains, 198 steel blocks, and about 210 blocks of granite.  The road tapestries contain 1278 dyed ropes in three colors.

We have a total fortress wealth of just over seven and a half million, of which architecture amounts to one million six hundred thousand.  We have exported almost a third of a million as trade goods and gifts.

There have been 11 fits of inspiration; 31 of us are legendary in our chosen fields.

We capped population at 70 in year 3; natural increase has slowly increased this number.  Of the now 80 dwarves of Mountain-Banners, 13 are masons, 4 are miners, 3 are (working) nobles, 3 are farmers and food processors, roughly 20 spend significant time in other skilled trades, about 27 are haulers/layers most or all of the time, and 10 are children or babies.  Some of these are also trained soldiers.  There are 15 war dogs and 64 other pets and strays.

We have lost four dwarves.

----

Thank you again, Lacero (Symmetry) for your skill, your care, and your sheer hard work.  Getting the game to do what we wanted wasn't easy, and it most emphatically wasn't quick, but we did it!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:58:20 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

Pictures by Lacero (Symmetry):

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:31:06 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

Damn that took a long time to finish.

Here's a picture:
:)

Good luck to everyone else playing  :)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

you should look at this on the DFMA, also.  you miss many things in the 3d shots, such as the fact that those flags are made out of colored rope and have patterns on them.  theres a grand tapestry laid out across the surface of the bridge, and a water system pumped up from the river to feed the fort.  its all pretty amazing.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Holy smokes.

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

That is one of the most impressive feats I have seen in Dwarf Fortress. The size of it is just amazing and is well out of reach for someone like me. Any chance that the other teams will finish?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

Hats off to Mountain Banners, the only remaining (and most deserving) competetor for the canyon engineering challenge!
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pitchblack:
<STRONG>Any chance that the other teams will finish?</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Jamini:
<STRONG>Hats off to Mountain Banners, the only remaining (and most deserving) [competitor] for the canyon engineering challenge!</STRONG>

Um, we're still in this (Team 1: Anvilsmith and I). It's been going a bit slowly and I'll be away the next few days, but we're going to finish. We're in year 6. You can see what our bridge looks like at the top of this page, though it's an old picture and we're going to add more features in these next two years.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

Holy bajeesus Batman!

How the hell did you guys manage to invest so much time in this?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2008, 03:34:00 am »

HOLY FUCK

this design EASILY competes with copperblazes, and seeing how the 2D version had endlessly more resources, I'd say that this is deffinetly THE most impressive fortress I have ever seen

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

This is the first fort i wanted to adventure in after the release of multilevel fortresses
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>the 2D version had endlessly more resources</STRONG>

it did?  i think it depends on what kind of geology you start on, as to what kinds of ore veins you get.  the 3D version definitly has more of everything except ore, and im not convinced that it even has less of that.  less on any give Z level perhaps, but not overall.

there may be less of any given kind of ore (say, hemetite) because available ore is split between more types which you may or may not want to use.  but its my guess that there is more overall in the new versions.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Holy bajeesus Batman!

How the hell did you guys manage to invest so much time in this?</STRONG>

Honestly, I signed up thinking that I'd do 3 years max and a year is only ~1 hour or so on a small map like this one.  I forgot that building means 95% of the time the game is paused...

Still we got it done, I just won't be doing anything like this again any time soon  :)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10