Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Biomes?  (Read 2983 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Biomes?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

Well I certainly wouldn't mind undead hoary marmots, but I just have the crappy alive kind that have been breeding like rabbits in my fort since I captured a breeding pair.

As I recall, in a non-referenced or proven manner, if you have non-tamed animals in your fort, that will count towards the wilderness populations--effectively shutting down animal immigration. Just as you are limited to a few of the total wilderness animals roving in your fort at a time.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes?
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »

I'd say Quatch is right. You have both a limit to the amount of wildlife as far as I know and also the migration speed of herds.

You'll get a another (random from biomes list) flock/herd of animals once the last animal of a current flock/herd paths off your map edge. If you capture one of the herd, I don't think you'll get another herd for a while. So this slows down the herd migration rate considerably. This is also a technique to keep undead off your back for a while in mixed biomes (capture/chase a non-undead animal for as long as you can to stop the next herd turning up, which may be skeletal elephants if you're unlucky). Completely terrifying biomes make it so much harder because ALL creatures will attack, meaning as soon as you kill the last one, another herd will turn up. Sometimes even killier than the last.

There are probably also limits to the total amount and types of wildlife available on your map. As mentioned, terrifying mountains aren't the worst place really.......
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2]