Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Saving the Game  (Read 4104 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saving the Game
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 09:38:50 am »

Just to check some potential gotchas: are you loading something like eg region1-aut-1053? If you are, be aware that it will save right back into region1-aut-1053, not region1.

Of course, I dont *really* think you are doing that, because a couple of saves later you would be playing region1-aut-1053-sum-1054-spr-1055-aut-1056...

So, assuming you have a region1 folder. It isn't write locked or something is it?

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 11:27:24 am »

Sorry all, I don't think I was clear enough in my original email.  Let me try and clarify.  Only the seasonal save "saves" the game.  If I click on save and exit I am booted out to the main menu however when I attempt to load the game I just saved it is non existant.  I can only load from the previous seasonal save.   Let me give you an example....

I start a new game, I play through one season and I get a seasonal autosave ("save 1").  I'm mid way through my next season and I need to stop playing.  At this point I have two choices

a) keep playing until my next seasonal save
b) click "save and exit" which in reality kicks me out to the main menu and means when I next play I have to load "save 1"

Surely this isn't working as intended?

I think part of the problem is that you're being a little too vague or general for us to really understand what is going on.

You should have a folder somewhere like C:\DFStuff\data\save\region1\

That's your "main" or "working" save.

There's also a C:\DFStuff\data\save\current\ that is pretty much useless.

Seasonal autosaves will get tagged with the year and season, like C:\DFStuff\data\save\region1-aut-2010\

If you load up the \region1\ game, play for a while, and then save - that \region1\ save gets overwritten.  There will be no \region2\ or \region1-newsave\ or anything like that.  Just plain ol' \region1\ - but it should be updated with all the stuff you did during your last play.

So...  Say you open up \region1\ and build a new bridge.  Then save.  Then load up \region1\ again.  Your bridge should be there.

If you open up \region1-aut-2010\ play for a bit, and then save - \region1-aut-2010\ will get overwritten.  You don't get a new save.  The save you loaded gets overwritten.

If you open up \region1-aut-2010\ and play long enough to get another seasonal autosave, it'll be called \region1-aut-2010-win-2010\ - that season/year tag gets appended to the name of whatever you loaded.  Even if it already had a season/year tag.  DF doesn't care.

If you open up \region1-aut-2010-win-2010\ and play long enough to get a seasonal autosave it'll be called \region1-aut-2010-win-2010-spr-2011\ - you get the idea.

So...  The question is...  If you open up \region1\ and build a bridge.  Then save.  Then open up \region1\ again.  Is your bridge there?  Or not?
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Dan1111

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:58 pm »

Could someone let me know how to upload some images - I think that would be more helpful than me trying to explain (please remember I'm an idiot when it comes to technology  :) )

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:29:44 pm »

I think part of the problem is that you're being a little too vague or general for us to really understand what is going on.

You should have a folder somewhere like C:\DFStuff\data\save\region1\

That's your "main" or "working" save.

There's also a C:\DFStuff\data\save\current\ that is pretty much useless.

Seasonal autosaves will get tagged with the year and season, like C:\DFStuff\data\save\region1-aut-2010\

If you load up the \region1\ game, play for a while, and then save - that \region1\ save gets overwritten.  There will be no \region2\ or \region1-newsave\ or anything like that.  Just plain ol' \region1\ - but it should be updated with all the stuff you did during your last play.

So...  Say you open up \region1\ and build a new bridge.  Then save.  Then load up \region1\ again.  Your bridge should be there.

If you open up \region1-aut-2010\ play for a bit, and then save - \region1-aut-2010\ will get overwritten.  You don't get a new save.  The save you loaded gets overwritten.

If you open up \region1-aut-2010\ and play long enough to get another seasonal autosave, it'll be called \region1-aut-2010-win-2010\ - that season/year tag gets appended to the name of whatever you loaded.  Even if it already had a season/year tag.  DF doesn't care.

If you open up \region1-aut-2010-win-2010\ and play long enough to get a seasonal autosave it'll be called \region1-aut-2010-win-2010-spr-2011\ - you get the idea.

So...  The question is...  If you open up \region1\ and build a bridge.  Then save.  Then open up \region1\ again.  Is your bridge there?  Or not?

Although this hurt my brain the first time I read it, are you saying that basically whichever file you open, when you save it saves over the file you opened and when a seasonal save kicks it it appends the date at the end of the save no matter if its already a date

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »

text

Although this hurt my brain the first time I read it, are you saying that basically whichever file you open, when you save it saves over the file you opened and when a seasonal save kicks it it appends the date at the end of the save no matter if its already a date

Yes.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »

Could someone let me know how to upload some images - I think that would be more helpful than me trying to explain (please remember I'm an idiot when it comes to technology  :) )
It is a rather cumbersome process I'm afraid. There's no way to upload images directly to the forum, you can only link to things already online.

But before that, are you able to create the images in the first place? (I assume we are talking screenshots, so briefly:
hit alt-printscreen with the window selected
paste into some image software- programs/accessories/paint if you have nothing better[1]
save the resulting file somewhere in a sensible format like png)

Next you need to find some online photo sharing site. I've used photobucket.com but there are a bunch of them. You will need to create an account there. The site you use will probably have spent some time developing a much better set of instructions than I can put together here. Look for a link labelled "help" or "instructions" or "introduction" or something.

Anyhow after uploading the images, the site should give you a URL to link to them with. Then you use the "insert image" button on the forum editing panel to get a link like
[img][/img]
which you put that URL into, like
[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/kaypy/dwarficon3.png[/img]
which would come out like

[1] This is your cue to tell me you have a mac...

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 07:23:09 pm »

If you use TinyPic, you don't have to create an account.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 07:27:50 pm »

That is correct.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Dan1111

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 07:13:37 am »

Ok, so here we go - a picture is better than a thousand words apparently, so imagine how good 5 pictures must be! :)

Picture 1 - Before opening DF and loading a game, this shows my saved games, DF category structure and is sorted by date modified

Picture 2 - This is the screen in DF showing the saves available.  I loaded region1-sum-251-win-win-252 which is the most recent autosave

Picture 3 - This is the date in game of this saved game

Picture 4 - I allowed DF to move one day into the future and then saved my game (with escape, save game) which kicked me back to the title menu

Picture 5 - This is a picture of the DF save game category structure.  Please note that this isn't a copy of the first screenshot - check the time

As you can see from the photo's all the save button does for me is, essentially, exit the game without saving.

Thoughts?

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:48 am »

Did you refresh the explorer window before taking that last picture?

If you reload region1-sum-251-win--win-252 is it 2nd Moonstone?

lazygnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 10:54:33 am »

The seasonal autosaves are intended to be backups.
If you load (for example) "region1-sum-251" and play through to autumn, it will create a new folder "region1-sum-251-aut-251".
If you then press escape, and select "Save Game", the game will be saved in "region1-sum-251".

The "Date Modified" on each folder doesn't matter, the timestamp to look at is on world.dat in the save folders.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 11:21:24 am »

I loaded region1-sum-251-win-win-252 which is the most recent autosave

There's your problem - you should only ever load "region1", never the seasonal backups.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 11:46:32 am »

Okay, I'm going to say something, and it will sound rude.  However, please accept it as a statement about the situation and not an effort to insult you.  The apparent rudeness is a by-product of an earnest attempt to help.

As you can see from the photo's all the save button does for me is, essentially, exit the game without saving.

What I see is that you do not understand how the operating system manages folder information.

(There!  That's it!  No more rudeness!)

Everything else these folks have said to you is true, but you will be delighted to know that the game has saved: it's just that the Windows operating system (not Mac) doesn't change the "date modified" entry on a folder when the folder's contents change.  Really!  Test it for yourself by making some other folder, putting a file (like a .doc) into it, then modifying the file.  Nothing happens.  Are you perhaps accustomed to a Macintosh system where the folder "date modified" entry does change?

Here, just go back into Dwarf Fortress and load up region1-sum-251-win-win-252.  You will see (and I guarantee it) that your game has advanced one day.

In the future, be sure to do as Quietust advised and just use "region1."  It makes it easier to remember which of the unchanging-"date-modified"-info folders is the right one.  You use the seasonal backups only if there has been a problem with your main save.

--Rexfelum

Dan1111

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 05:43:49 am »

Thanks all for the help and advice, I think I understand it all now.  At least user error is the simplest error to solve :)

I do wonder if the UI is unclear and there are  other people who've made the same stupid mistake as me?  I am reminded of one of my favourite quotes however

""Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook"

:)

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 08:48:33 am »

I'm not sure I'd blame the UI here.

The UI clearly lists all the save games.  They aren't hidden or anything.  The problem is that you expected to see new files, instead of the old one getting over-written.

If you're used to playing rogue-alikes, you expect a single save game and this behavior seems normal.

If you aren't used to playing rogue-alikes, you expect to see a new file and this behavior seems abnormal.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: 1 [2]