Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "cancels eat: could not find path"  (Read 1053 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"cancels eat: could not find path"
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »

Now I'm getting this.

I think what is causing it is that I flooded (on purpose) one of my entrance hallways, as well as some adjoining rooms in which I had tables and chairs.  Only after I did that did I start getting spammed with the eat/path errors.  It looks like they are trying to get to tables that are underwater.

One dwarf is on "eat" job and has a plump helmet in inventory (marked as "hauled"), and has just spammed the path error 17 times in a row.  I tried mob/demobilizing him; didn't fix it.  He's still sittin there with his plump helmet complainig he can't find a path.

BTW my food stockpile is inside my great hall, and he is standing about 6 squares away from one set of empty tables and chairs.

I could unflood the flooded rooms, but I'm not going to.  I want to see how many of them are this stupid, and if they'll starve over it.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "cancels eat: could not find path"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »

Ok, mobbing him and keeping him mobbed for a bit and telling him to go somewhere, and then demobbing him, worked.

It looks like every single dwarf I have is going to go through this.  It looks like when selecting a place to eat, they do the same old left-to-right search, and pick the nearest empty table, regardless of whether it is accessible or useable or not.  And then they keep picking it and keep trying.

This is the same problem as other spammed cancel jobs.  If a dwarf cannot do something, he should GIVE IT UP and try something DIFFERENT rather than trying over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over because after all that is the definition of insanity.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: "cancels eat: could not find path"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »

It's not as easy as a simple check, because we can probably think of several examples where you'd want the cancel/resume behavior to be different, based on the job.  In any case, I'm collecting all the message spam and am going to work them out over time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!