Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Titans of Steel: Warring Suns - Strategic Mech Wargame  (Read 17402 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns - Strategic Mech Wargame
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:50 am »

Hey, just digging up this old game. I noticed it didn't have a thread of its own, but I believe its the kind of game you guys will enjoy. It was originally freeware, went commercial, then was officially abandoned (guess people didn't find permadeath strategy/RPG games appealing).

http://www.titansofsteel.de/

Then get the 1.2.2 patch at:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2053107

Titans of Steel is a Mech game, a strategy game with a lot of detail. For all its detail, it's quite easy to pick up, about as user-friendly as the X-Com games and the tutorial campaign makes it easier. Designing mechs in ToS is a lot of fun, and watching them get torn apart. There are three components to the game - HQ, Factory, Battle.

The HQ part lets you choose a squad of pilots to control your mechs. You can build multiple teams and buy/sell pilots to other teams. You'd get to train up their skills as they gain more experience and assign them to mechs.

Factory mode lets you build and design mechs. There's a bunch of things to consider, like life support, heating and power system, speed, size, and the kinds of weapons that goes on it. There's various different balances you can try to achieve, like make ultra ranged sniper mechs, general cannon/missile based damage mechs, or strong close combat ones that damage internal components. Or even combos of all those, with different armor/heat/power balances.

Battle mode lets you launch up campaigns to play, or just do some arena-style battles for money. Damage you take in the game stays in the game (so you might have to save scum). You can repair mechs later, but your pilots can take permanent injuries in battles, even death.

Anyway, it's a very detailed game, and available for free, so some of you guys might want to try it out.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:26:40 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Titans of Steel: Warring Sungs - Strategic Mech Wargame
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:50 am »

A nice game. Probably much nicer when playing against humans, the "vs AI" battles soon lose all appeal - mostly for the lack of any meaningful storyline to follow.
Overall, if you're a fan of the tabletop Battletech franchise, this is really the game for you, as most of the mechanics are very similar.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:59:02 am »

i find survival to be the story line.  After a couple of matches i look around and ...everyone is dead!  I should run away a lot more... But yeah, this is a great free game.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:27:55 am »

I had this back before it was "Warring Suns". They said WS wasn't going to be freeware, but the original ToS was.

It's funny, I was thinking about this game recently. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:09 pm »

My only problem with this is the higher the level of the pilot and the more the number of battles he participates in, the higher his salary becomes. There is no upper limit so the salary can go as high as possible to the point you cannot afford to have the pilot anymore. Is there anyway to cap this?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 04:30:00 pm »

An AC20 to the head, perhaps?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »

I had this back before it was "Warring Suns". They said WS wasn't going to be freeware, but the original ToS was.

Lol, typo at writing a thread at like 2 AM or something :P

Yeah, they said that, but I don't think people were buying WS, sadly. It's a great game, but it was just too hardcore. Screenshots have hexes, even though the game is a lot more beautiful without them. Turn based is a bit slow. Balancing money is very difficult (heh, too realistic maybe). And permanently losing superb pilots are another problem.

My only problem with this is the higher the level of the pilot and the more the number of battles he participates in, the higher his salary becomes. There is no upper limit so the salary can go as high as possible to the point you cannot afford to have the pilot anymore. Is there anyway to cap this?

Sell them :P I think there was a general strategy that goes around trading players. The skill level of the pilots actually make a huge difference in how well they fight; a great pilot can cause massive damage with a normal mech.

The AC20 to the head might not be wrong. You'll probably want like one or two experts doing the precision work and a lot of grunts as (literally) cannon fodder and softening the opposition.

i find survival to be the story line.  After a couple of matches i look around and ...everyone is dead!  I should run away a lot more... But yeah, this is a great free game.

Heh, and yeah, the game is good enough without a storyline. Sort of like Battle for Wesnoth or a typical roguelike.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LarkinVB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:45:21 am »

Hi. I'm the coder and designer of the game. You can increase business skill of the pilots. This will reduce their salary drastically.

Have fun playing TOS.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Titans of Steel: Warring Suns - Strategic Mech Wargame
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:15 am »

Never heard of this but it looks good, I'm a big Battletech fan (can't find anyone to table top battle) and I'm a little bored of the mechwarrior series so this should be a nice progression.

Thanks for sharing!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 02:13:52 pm »

Sounds cool. I'll have to try this game out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 07:39:57 am »

Hi. I'm the coder and designer of the game. You can increase business skill of the pilots. This will reduce their salary drastically.

Have fun playing TOS.

Lol, I find it pretty amazing that whenever a good game is discussed here, the creators of the game usually stop by :P

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 09:53:41 am »

Have fun playing TOS.

Lol, I find it pretty amazing that whenever a good game is discussed here, the creators of the game usually stop by :P

I find it even more amazing when it's the developer of a many-years-old game that finds out about threads like this one and drops by within barely a couple of days  :o
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:20:45 am »

Everyone loves gaming dorfs. They're cute and beardy.

LarkinVB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:50 am »

Have fun playing TOS.

I find it even more amazing when it's the developer of a many-years-old game that finds out about threads like this one and drops by within barely a couple of days  :o

Guess how does this happen ? Hint : Look at the bottom of www.titansofsteel.de

;D

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:48 am »

And we were responsible for over 60% of his unique visitors.

>.>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6