Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bread and Bakeries  (Read 2834 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Bread and Bakeries
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:11 am »

I'd add this to the improved cooking thread, but it'd be so simple to implement it could be added to .31.17.
After milling, flour has to be turned into bread to be eaten, either in the kitchen or a special 'bakery' workshop. This reaction could optionally require fuel but leave behind ash.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Bread and Bakeries
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:43 am »

Seems reasoable. Bread could be used as a base food for large forts. Perhaps we could allow dwarfs to carry the bread with them allowing them to eat wherever they are. This would be in the options screen to select whatever dwarfs will do this.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:52:34 am »

Dwarves don't use bread as food - they use it as a weapon.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:04 am »

Its already in the game.

Grow longland grass (regular wheat) or cave wheat, grind it into flour at a mill, and then bake it into something at a kitchen.

The resulting product is called bread. Mix water with flour and bake, and you get bread.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:08 am »

Grow longland grass (regular wheat) or cave wheat, grind it into flour at a mill, and then bake it into something at a kitchen.

The resulting product is called bread.

No, the resulting product is called "biscuits", "stew", or "roast", depending on how many other ingredients you used.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:17:43 am »

Does its name make it not bread?

Longland grass is wheat. Its not called wheat, its called longland grass, but its still wheat. Its the same thing. Similarly with all of the other above ground crops. They're based on real life crops.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:30:56 am »

I think it could be good bread would be both a food able to be eaten raw or cooked further as an ingredient for a roast or stew.
The same way you can cook the milk or make it into cheese then cook the cheese if you wish.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:42:16 am by Gnoll Fortress »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:25:31 am »

Longland grass is wheat. Its not called wheat, its called longland grass, but its still wheat. Its the same thing. Similarly with all of the other above ground crops. They're based on real life crops.

OT: It would be nice if they got renamed to their real world counterparts. If only for confused newbies sake.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 11:12:13 am »

'Tis but thy race that is my enemy.
Thou art thyself, though not an elf.
What's elf? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a dwarf. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? That which we call a rat weed
By any other name would smell as sweet.
So Cacame would, were he not Cacame call'd,
Retain that giant hammer which he owes
Without that title. Cacame, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all my base.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »

I think it could be good bread would be both a food able to be eaten raw or cooked further as an ingredient for a roast or stew.
The same way you can cook the milk or make it into cheese then cook the cheese if you wish.

Already in game. Check the kitchen section of the stocks screen. You can enable or disable various things for cooking or brewing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

Yes.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 04:27:10 am »

Isn't a biscuit a kind of bread?
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:26 am »

Already in game. Check the kitchen section of the stocks screen. You can enable or disable various things for cooking or brewing.

That isn't what I meant, I was saying bread would be both a meal and an ingredient. While flour wouldn't able to be cooked.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:24:05 am »

That isn't what I meant, I was saying bread would be both a meal and an ingredient. While flour wouldn't able to be cooked.

Uh, why not?

I can use floor to make bread ... but also to make a cake. Or use it as part of a recipe to cook a sauce. Or make crêpes with it, and fill that with some other stuff (jam, meat, vegetables, ...). Or I could make polenta out of some of it, or noodles, or even a pudding.

In general though, cooking could use some flexibility. I'd love to be able to "design" recipes in the raws, and have the game take care of nutritional values and their effect on the Dwarves automatically. :)