Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing Hereditary Genetics  (Read 2293 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Fixing Hereditary Genetics
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »

Has anyone ever had a fort where all their dwarves didn't have brown skin, amythest eyes?  I know I haven't, because with even starting ratios the first item listed (which is therefore the dominant gene) overrides all others.  Obviously, something must be done; Toady isn't likely to get around to this soon.

I've had some moderate success by assigning increasing values to each of the more recessive genes, but [1...2...3...4...5...] has only gotten me into the 'B's.  I propose that we test different formulae until we find one that's a good balance, the next one to try is [1...4...9...16...25...] but I'm not sure how it will turn out.

IMPORTANT: Your starting seven will ALWAYS use the raw file that the world was genned with, even if you change the raw in the save file.  This is because (I think) they are predetermined at world gen.  Immigrants and Reclaim mode, however, WILL use a modified raw file, so long as you edited the right one (the one in the world's folder).

Also, having all those reclaim parties bring lots of steel bars and nothing else (besides maybe lots of coal) will give any fort you plant to build there a really nice head start...

Something else we can do is rank the different eye/hair/skin colors and fit them to whatever curve we got.  It would also help if someone who knows statistics (and/or genetics) can provide a formula and tell us how best to make a wide bell curve that will aproximate an even distribution.  lastly, I'd rather have curve skewed to the right, because very rare eye/hair colors should stick in bloodlines by being dominant.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:55:06 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Hereditary Genetics
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »

I've got a little note in my modding notes reminding me to figure out what these do and how to use them:

APP_MOD_GENETIC_MODEL
TLCM_MOD_GENETIC_MODEL

MIX, DOMINANT_MORE, DOMINANT_LESS

They're in the string dump; I suspected the first two were creature tokens and the last three were arguments for them. I saw this topic and I decided to finally do something about that note.

I looked at the wording of the tokens, and decided that the best place to put them was here:

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_AMETHYST:1:IRIS_EYE_AQUAMARINE:1, etc. etc. etc.]
            [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
            [TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL:MIX]

I tested the MIX model on a set of embark dwarves, and each one had a different eye color (from amethyst down to rust). Didn't do any testing on the other two genetic models, or appearance modifiers, but this should at least give them some variety.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JordanBBad

• Bay Watcher
  • nyak nyak nyak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:04:45 pm »

I'm assuming that DOMINANT_MORE and DOMINANT_LESS make use of the dominance values then.

What I'm wondering though is how they all affect in-game genetics; if Dwarf 1 with amethyst eyes and Dwarf 2 with rust eyes had a kid, what color would his eyes be?

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:50:23 pm »

There is either a 50% or 100% chance for the child to have amethyst eyes, because eye color is dominant starting with the first string entry.  And I wonder how far Toady got along programming this, there are other placeholder values... (like in material strengths, half the tags there don't do much of anything yet!)

Well, I propose to test this with the DOMINANT_LESS tag.  If it works the way I think it will, all that remains for this thread to do is relist the colors in order of decreacing rareness.  (Because I think rare and distiguishing features should stick in family lines as much as possible, don't you?)

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:48:03 am »

best way to test this would be to create a creature that will breed ultra rapidly.  multiple litters, very short gestation time, mature and able to breed from the moment they hatch.

better make them supernatural so that they don't seem creepy.  the Taltos from anne rices novels would be a great candidate.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:56:42 am »

Now this could be interesting, I did always find genetics interesting when games had such features....

Now to watch this topic

Also you could try and do like an organic borg race,   "children" that are assimilated are kept in chambers till they reach full maturity (I think the speed is increased.)    So in a mechanic sense it'd make sense that the race would come out as adults,  granted this is all fluff but if you need a less creepy explanation as why the creature that was just born can have kids...
EDIT:  didn't became did,  I dunno why it was didn't.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:46:21 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:44 am »

I was trying to fix it for just regular dwarves...  :-\

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:33 am »

yes...but just like everything else in Dwarf fortress...things soon get way out of hand

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 06:22:18 pm »

Oh, I know.  I was just talking about for the purposes of testing.  I was considering doing this for testing out some castes i was going to try an create.