Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is it with my dwarves fascination of humans?  (Read 2134 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is it with my dwarves fascination of humans?
« on: November 11, 2010, 11:29:43 am »

Whenever I make a statue or engrave a nice piece of artwork...
It has to do with the history of humans more often than the history of the dwarves.

One of my fortresses had about 20 engravings of the taming of the giant eagles by some human. My current fortress has only 1 engraving specifically because of this, and it's of the killing of a human by a titan. I now prefer the safer artwork of statues (which can be sold). of 4 statues, I have 2 of dwarves from my colony, 1 of armor, and one of the killing of a human by an elf.

So my question is... are humans that interesting? really? Do dwarves not have history and legends of their own, which are even more interesting to a dwarf?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is it with my dwarves fascination of humans?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:28 am »

Oh, I just realized the "armor" was actually the name of a human.

Ohe Tuftedarmor, who was killed by a jaguar.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:32:44 am »

Are you near a human civ?
When dwarves create artwork, they usually draw inspiration from the area near the fort or nearby sites.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:22 am »

maybe? The order of civilizations listed is as such:

unnamed Reptile man civilization
Elven
Goblin
Human
Dwarven

More statues (science!) should clarify then, because I should get more statues of elves than humans, right?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »

Sometimes civilizations or embark groups have themes.

In one of my prior fortresses everyone, without exception, had very strong opinions on the topic of worms.  :o

Some dwarves absolutely loved worms. Other dwarves utterly despised worms. It was a very contentious topic around the booze hall.

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »

It could be worse. The engraver in my current fort will engrave images of some goddamned titan from before time almost exclusively. Sure, 50 mounted gobbos can roll in with a retinue of trolls and be wiped out by my scant military of five, but I guess that's just not as cool as this mythical titan everyone loves so much.

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 12:07:02 pm »

they're playing Human Town
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 12:18:40 pm »

Until your fort makes enough of it's own history, the history of that embark region will be the most recurring subject of art. So if only humans did anything around there, then that's all they depict. When someone makes an epic cheese, they can finally commemorate it in art depicting the cheese, the cheesemaker making the cheese, another dwarf admiring the cheese as it's being made, etc..

My dwarves still craft images of humans making travels to this mountain and surrounding region. I just gift those to the human civ as a diplomatic gesture.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:47:06 pm »

maybe? The order of civilizations listed is as such:

unnamed Reptile man civilization
Elven
Goblin
Human
Dwarven

More statues (science!) should clarify then, because I should get more statues of elves than humans, right?

As far as I know, the order of listing has nothing to do with distance.  However, my game has the dwarves listed above the other three main races, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

--Rexfelum

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »

See if it's one dwarf engraving about humans all the time, if so you can remove him from duty. If not, as said before it probably has to do with the lack of history at your fort. I'm playing a reclaim fort and for the first few years they only wrote about the previous fort and it's abandonment. Now they love engraving a goblin colliding with an object, which is totally awesome with me. I imagine them laughing about that for a year after it happened.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »

See if it's one dwarf engraving about humans all the time, if so you can remove him from duty.
Best options can be:
- danger fun room
- under a bridge
- !!bed!!
- magma
- cave-in that knocks him unconscious over a serrated disc trap

This way your future engravers might learn the lesson and get inspiration for more fortress-history-related artwork!

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:10 pm »

Most of my artwork depicts a human civil war caused by a loyalty cascade when goblins attacked them. The ensuing war was called The Scalded Conflict.  The world has a rich history with over a thousand battles. Though none are engraved more than the Scalded conflict, no matter where I embark.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:30 pm »

i basically stopped playing my last fort because the only thing the dwarves would engrave or decorate was pictures of a dirty elf taming alligators.  It wasn't just the engraver, i had statues too, and at least one artifact had pictures of him.

I learned a lesson from this.  Don't gen a world with only 200 years of history just to make the gen faster.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 02:31:13 pm »

My current fortress is decorated with images of dwarves falling, weeping, or withering away.   :o

This was all due to an Unfortunate Accident involving a bunch of dabbling miners in the early days of the fortress. However, all of the picks were recovered and a new wave of migrants came a few moments after the dust cleared, so all was good.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »

an Unfortunate Accident involving a bunch of dabbling miners in the early days of the fortress
Uh, the miner's skill has nothing to do with cave-ins. I think at this point you need to confess for the good of your soul that those miner's deaths are on your hands.

And then go learn HOW to cause cave-ins, that way you can do it when needed, and AVOID doing it the rest of the time.
Pages: [1] 2