Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress drinking game! warning may cause poisoning :D  (Read 7680 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress drinking game! warning may cause poisoning :D
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:19:20 pm »

When a dwarf drinks, you drink! YAY!

warning may cause alcohol poisoning in fortresses containing more than 7 dwarves.

In which case select your top favorite dwarves and only drink when they drink.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress drinking game! warning may cause poisoning :D
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »

you could come up with better rules than that
something that has an announcement, because otherwise you'd just be staring at the booze stockpiles and keeping tabs of when they drink
do things like whenever a FB/titan/ambush/siege appear
whenever a dwarf dies
whenever merchants appear
drink for every migrant in the next wave
ect. ect.
although DF is a single playing game
and playing drinking games by yourself is kind of sad :(  so I think I'm going to skip this one
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:28:42 pm »

One might argue that with time:
lotsa dorfs drinking ----> player drinking --->FUN ----> less dorfs ----> less dorfs drinking ----> less player drinking ----> more dorfs

So it might tend to equilibrium

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:33:37 pm »

I'd prefer a drinking game to be with friends.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »

Hey who said to play this solo, invite drinking buddies over.  they don't have to play the game, you just need one person watching.  and then he designates everyone when to drink.  also use the "u" button, press it every 15 seconds, then for every dwarf drinking, everyone needs to take a drink.  then unpause it, wait another 15-45 seconds based on how drunk everyone is getting, then hit u again.  You could also designate say 5 dwarves to each person in the house.  so when 1 of any of those 5 drink, he has to drink.  that way it's more of a game.  cause some dwarves just drink more than others...

Also i wasn't THAT serious either :D i thought this was kinda funny.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »

if anyone played this by the actual rules they would consume so much alcohol so fast they would imbibe enough to die of alcohol poisoning before their body could absorb it fast enough to make them pass out.

The idea is interesting.  It would be hard to come up with a reasonable set of rules.  there are several events that would kill you even if they were the only rule.  ex job interruption, dwarves drinking, animal slaughtered (this could be alot or never), masterwork item, probably a few more.  The key would be a few rules that happen infrequently but regularly that the player has little control over, and a few rules that the player has a moderate amount of control over.

these are some good rules to choose from:

dwarves host a party (not for mature forts or strong beverages)
birth of dwarf baby
birth of kittens
dwarf death (noncombat only)
arrival of forgotten/mega beast
death of forgotten/mega beast
tantrum
successful completion of non-possession mood
election of new mayor
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »

dwarf death (noncombat only)

No there can be combat death drinking, if combat deaths exceed 5 at once, you finish the bottle.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »

The migrant wave drinks would kill me, even on something light like beer.

I tend to get 24-26 sized waves without fail whenever I turn off my pop cap.
Cage traps are my magma.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 05:52:28 pm »

Isn't there a way to modify the game so that drinking gets an announcement?

Isn't there a way to drink alone... together?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »

Ok I think I figured out the optimal DF drinking game.

1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »

Maybe we should go by the original 7 dwarfs? how often does 1 dwarf drink in a season (like spring to summer).

Also this game was to mostly imply you, as the overlord of the dwarfs,  should be drinking with them! How else could you truly understand them!

btw, i don't ever drink anymore as it is, i have a 6month old baby and a gf who still breast feeds so she can't drink either.

So honestly i just pick grass from the yard an roll it up these days haha.

Why can't we grow marijuana in this game?  Seriously imagine growing a crapload and that to the elves it's worth tons. 
OMG! someone tell toad to incorperate a black market into this game.  where it's all illegal goods, you must choose weather or not to pertain in these actions as a lot of people will look down if you get caught.  but the advantages is money/unique powerful banned weapons :D:D

disadvantage is if you got a undercover sheriff that your selling too haha.  which would cause the nation to dislike you or go to war with you if it's bad enough.

BTW my farm grower is named Maryjane, i lucked out in that she ended up being a female. 

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:59 pm »

I like how an obvious joke by the OP was immediately transformed into a serious discussion of how to effectively abuse alcohol.

Don't die of cirrhosis, anyone. That'd be pretty dumb!
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »

Smackinjuice, what do you think "Valley Herb" is? And why do you think that only elves can grow it? DF just doesn't have smoking in it--- yet.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »

Um, DFTerm anyone? Use Webcams/VOIP/IM to talk?  You're never alone with the internet! 

Also, I'd suggest drinking for:
-seiges begun and defeated
-wars and truces declared
-Huge Dwarfy Contraptions completed/activated(obsidian farm, elaborate death trap, etc)
-and if you're using the piston magmapump, every time that fires(useful to maintain optimum BAC.  Sobering up? MOAR MAGMA!  Using double tileset?  MAGMA IN MODERATION!)  -I don't know how often mandates happen, but that might be a good one too.  Or maybe just drink on the impossible ones.

I guess before playing It'd be good to study the frequency of various events you might use as drink triggers, they should vary widely based on embark, playstyle and fps.  I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I love the idea of drinking games.  Should we do a survey to see what the average frequencies are?  That way we can inform first time players(of the drinking game) what they can expect.  For !!SCIENCE!!

Of course, I may be missing the point, but, y'know... !!SCIENCE!!

EDIT:  This may be of some assistance...  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57356.0  DF drinking song.  Yes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:38:04 pm by Yalishandaw »
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 06:55:59 pm »

The thing with good drinking games is that they shouldn't rely on actual timed events but rather on things that shouldn't be frequent, but are.

So predictable stuff like sieges, births, even things like FBs showing up or artifacts being constructed, shouldn't result in drinking.

With that said...

When a dwarf throws a tantrum, DRINK!
When a dwarf goes crazy, DRINK!
When a noble makes an impossible demand or mandate, DRINK!
When a dwarf dies of stupidity, DRINK!
When a babysnatcher succeeds, DRINK!
When a merchant guard kills something, DRINK! (One for each kill. Drink something STRONG if it's a titan or megabeast.)
When something deadly gets loose inside your fortress, DRINK!
When you screw up and flood the place, DRINK!
When something dies in a hilarious way, DRINK!
When an artifact is worth more than a million dwarfbucks, DRINK!

The idea is to be inebriated, but not soused completely unless your fortress goes to hell.
Pages: [1] 2