Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2268293 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17160 on: May 10, 2016, 06:30:58 pm »

BlitzDungeoneer beat me in one turn.

YGOpro

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: May 10, 2016, 07:09:39 pm »

Alien soldiers are really tough.

I don't know why I keep relying on the crossbow; any damage it does is outweighed by the slow firing speed, slow projectiles and agonizing reload speed. Almost any other weapon is better for taking on... most situations in the game, really. The crossbow is rather pointless gameplay-wise. It's not even that useful for the fish enemies you first use it against, since the pistol also works underwater and doesn't have any of the crossbow's drawbacks.

Half-Life.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: May 10, 2016, 07:23:43 pm »

The crossbow is really powerful. It's good for taking out HVAC soldiers at a distance, before they notice you, [and it only takes three shots from it for each of the Nihilanth's power crystals at the end.]
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17163 on: May 10, 2016, 07:54:02 pm »

The alien soldiers have those armor plates, though...  Hm, I checked the wikia for details and it's interesting:

• In the original Half-Life, Alien Grunts take significantly reduced damage (roughly 50% to 60% of normal) if shot in the armor instead of in their exposed body with a Colt Python or Black Mesa Crossbow. Lower impact rounds, such as pistol/assault rifle bullets, buckshot, and even the primary fire of the tau cannon will outright ricochet off the armor without doing any damage at all. This is not true in Half-Life: Source, since the Source engine does not support different damage values/effects for different materials.
  • The Alien Grunt's armor subtracts 20 points of damage from any attack that hits it. Any projectile that deals 20 points of damage or less will simply ricochet off harmlessly.
Looks like two people tried to describe the same phenomenon...

Oh but then it mentions that, in the Source version, the crossbow stuns them for an extra long time.  Kinda funny that the Source version didn't support that effect though, when it clearly supports extra damage for headshots.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:55:38 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: May 10, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »

I think it means material as in the actual texture and lighting stuff applied to a section of the model, ferex the shiny stuff on the pieces of the Alien Grunt's armor, whereas the headshots would be implemented somewhat differently, using different collision pieces. They could have remade the functionality, but from what I understand Half-Life: Source was a lazy port anyway.

All speculation, because I've never made a Source mod or anything remotely similar.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17165 on: May 10, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »

So after leaving the game for a while, I chose to start fresh and create a new character and world. Having just killed Skeletron, I decided to enter the dungeon.

And Holy crap! it's much tougher than I remember. The angry bones seem faster, the curse skulls are super obnoxious, and for some strange reason I always mange to get hit by dark caster bolts and the traps. I didn't get very far before dieing.

Did they increase the difficulty of the pre-plantera dungeon, or do I just suck?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: May 10, 2016, 10:39:55 pm »

It's probably because the enemies themselves aren't terribly dangerous alone, but there's always a shitload of them. Add the traps and spikes and water candles and probably potential falls, and the dungeon is really all about tons of stuff happening all at once. That's why I went to the underworld right after Skeletron for a demon scythe, cascade, and molten armor.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:42:40 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: May 11, 2016, 01:35:44 am »

I tried to skimp on thrusters for my mining vessel. The first iteration had plenty of thrust when heading to the asteroids, but once you added a few thousand kilograms of ore the ship became extremely cumbersome. But large thrusters are expensive, not to mention unsightly when you cram them onto an existing design. So I went for the cheap solution: a single large thruster on the rear of the ship. The plan was to accelerate to maximum velocity, then spin around 180 degrees and use the same thruster to slow down again with inertial dampers. What could go wrong?

Well, lots of things, I'm sure. What did go wrong was me spinning slightly off-angle, resulting in me retaining a shockingly-large amount of lateral velocity. While passing right next to an asteroid. I ended up ramming the asteroid side-on at roughly 50 m/s. The ship effectively vaporized with me inside it; after respawning, I was unable to find any trace of the vessel, though oddly I did find one chunk of iron ore from the cargo hold drifting right next to my station.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17168 on: May 11, 2016, 09:07:22 am »

Funny that the class initially based around parrying (Thief) would be the one I have the most trouble parrying with, and the one I would also have the most trouble with against its equivalent enemy.

Dark Souls
Black lives matter.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: May 11, 2016, 12:12:27 pm »

I was fighting the Ender Dragon on a friend's server. Suddenly, I was launched up into the air, higher than the highest pillar in the End, and I have no idea what might have done it. Either way, I hit the ground quite hard.

Then, later on, after we'd cheated to give ourselves elytra, I smacked into a wall when I had half a heart remaining. Hitting a wall at speed will actually damage you quite a bit, I discovered.

Minecraft.

Gonarch glitched out. Between phases, where it runs through the tunnel to the final phase, it just sat in the tunnel and wouldn't come down, apparently invulnerable to everything. This forced me to noclip to escape, but I consider it a defeat.

Half-Life.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:44:16 pm by itisnotlogical »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: May 12, 2016, 08:56:02 pm »

I paid for my insolence.

Xenoblade.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17171 on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:14 pm »

Snorlax and Pikachu, man. Even though Solaire was distracted by the stupid Bullshit Tank Mages Royal Sentinels I got him inside the boss arena soon enough. The fight was going well enough until Snorlax caught me from behind with a fuckall strong attack that killed me from 3/4 or so health.

Dank Soles
Black lives matter.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17172 on: May 12, 2016, 09:51:20 pm »

Roll to dodge.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17173 on: May 12, 2016, 09:53:26 pm »

Roll to dodge an attack that caught me from behind, instantly killing me, which I had no way to notice, prepare for, or react to, with fat rolling, while also having to deal with a second boss.

.....No? :P
Black lives matter.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17174 on: May 12, 2016, 09:54:09 pm »

Just get a 4, 5, or 6 on the roll and you'll be fine.

More relevantly, Skyrim keeps reminding I haven't saved in awhile by crashing on me. I suppose that counts as a death.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1571