Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266811 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19980 on: January 30, 2018, 03:53:48 am »

-snip-

Let me guess, it was night on the plains?
Don't go to the plains at night until you're further along in the main story quest, it is very bad for your health.

Going there during daytime should be possible, as long as you avoid picking fights with the major bases.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #19981 on: January 31, 2018, 12:59:42 am »

God-diggity-damnit adding bullet-hell bosses to metroidvania style controls n gameplay seems pretty good in theory...
but when the size of your bullet-hell hitbox is drastically different compared to your sprite (and isn't visible unless you hold down the primary attack button!) its very easy to die a lot of times.

also your attack patterns are bullshit you fucking doppleganger boss

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19982 on: January 31, 2018, 01:44:01 am »

Quote from: Vintage Story Chat Log
Milo: I'll finish starving again here, then head back.
Milo: (That sounds really weird.)
Scarlet_Avenger: The Milo has gone stark raving mad! ... The Milo has been found died of starvation
Player Milo died.
Shooer: TIMING
Scarlet_Avenger: ON POINT

I was having trouble finding food, so I was starving and respawning a lot. Anyway, I happened to be just about dead and near the spawn, so I was going to loiter around the spawn rather than waste time heading to my destination. The timing worked out perfectly :)

Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19983 on: January 31, 2018, 11:30:31 am »

My longest run so far met its untimely demise at hand of a fuck-off sized bane creature called a havoc. 2 of my party were down but I've gotten the damn thing nearly dead so I figured I'd just power trough and try killing it even tho most of my magical dmg output was down (since that seems to be their only weakness). But, as it happens another bane spawned in, think it was a malice or something, it apparently sacrificed itself and almost fully healed the havoc, which was just the turd that spilled the cup of bullshit that whole fight was and wiped my party, and with it my save.
But I'm not giving up yet, either I beat the game on a single save or I don't beat the damn thing at all.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19984 on: January 31, 2018, 09:44:53 pm »

Vintage Story, a Minecraft clone that plays like Minecraft with the TerafirmaCraft mod, but better. It isn't nearly finished, but what is there is really nice.
Damn, that brings back old memories... I have a lot of nostalgia for that mod. I would play it again, but I can't make my 32 bit Minecraft large address aware so it keeps crashing.

What state is it in at the moment? Is it on par with TerafirmaCraft at least, or does it still need some time?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19985 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:27 pm »

On a map that involves many, many buildings (I think it's supposed to be a hotel district) I eventually decided to wait for the enemy (singular) to show up.

They wind up shooting one of my agents point-blank, dealing very little damage (I think it was less than five points). I have the agent attack the guy with the flashlight, thinking that 1) I should be able to stun him without too much trouble and 2) I shouldn't take too much damage from his attacks if that first hit is anything to go by. Nope and nope. I couldn't KO him in one turn, and the very next turn he fired a second shot point-blank, killing the agent. I have a nearby agent KO the attacker and... Mission over.

I get a negative score because capturing a single low-ranking attacker won't make up for the death of an agent.

I enjoy this game sometimes, and other times? I fucking hate it.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19986 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:01 pm »

What state is it in at the moment? Is it on par with TerafirmaCraft at least, or does it still need some time?

Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19987 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:15 am »

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19988 on: February 01, 2018, 03:16:15 am »

My longest run so far met its untimely demise at hand of a fuck-off sized bane creature called a havoc. 2 of my party were down but I've gotten the damn thing nearly dead so I figured I'd just power trough and try killing it even tho most of my magical dmg output was down (since that seems to be their only weakness). But, as it happens another bane spawned in, think it was a malice or something, it apparently sacrificed itself and almost fully healed the havoc, which was just the turd that spilled the cup of bullshit that whole fight was and wiped my party, and with it my save.
But I'm not giving up yet, either I beat the game on a single save or I don't beat the damn thing at all.

Assuming that's the Haven Oldwalls boss, the trick is to really spam those healing potions when the going gets tough and prioritize taking out the bane that spawn in.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19989 on: February 05, 2018, 08:50:26 am »

Nuzlocking. I noticed that the enemy crit a LOT.

In fight against Elesa, 3 of my Pokemon died to crits, the rest died because they had no chance against electric types.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19990 on: February 05, 2018, 01:42:44 pm »

IME Pokemon games are designed so that most encounters will put up little resistance but the last pokemon of each gym leader will be a massive pain in the ass.  They tend to push a little *too* far past the level of the surrounding wild pokemon so that its time consuming to grind up to their level, and the game cheats so that the pokemon will always have a berry relevant to the first status effect put on it, and the leader will always have at least one relevant item to help their pokemon out.  Would not be surprised if they cheat on crits too.

Not sure why its set up that way.  Maybe so that the kids playing the game get a kick every now and again so the game doesn't feel easy, even tho it mostly is.  Pretty poor design for a permadeath game tho.  My big complaint with Nuzlocke runs is that they essentially force you to memorize the game or to grind way beyond the level of most enemies.

I tried to do a Nuzlocke run of... I think, white?  With the self imposed challenge that I would earn three points every time I encountered a pokemon center and I had to spend a point to use it.  Then I got to that city with the giant, endless bridge that shows off the 3D graphics, and every time I wanted to grind I had to go back across it.  That... kinda killed my enthusiasm.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19991 on: February 05, 2018, 02:22:51 pm »

IME Pokemon games are designed so that most encounters will put up little resistance but the last pokemon of each gym leader will be a massive pain in the ass.  They tend to push a little *too* far past the level of the surrounding wild pokemon so that its time consuming to grind up to their level, and the game cheats so that the pokemon will always have a berry relevant to the first status effect put on it, and the leader will always have at least one relevant item to help their pokemon out.  Would not be surprised if they cheat on crits too.
Ah?  The held items for Pokemon and the items Gym leaders have should be fixed in the code.  They doesn't change based on the first status effect you put on it.  For instance, in Black and White, no Gym leaders have held items on their Pokemon at all; that doesn't change until Black 2 and White 2, and there they use health-restoring rather than status-restoring berries.  That said, later Gym leaders and Elite Four members do have items relevant to statuses, but that's because they use Full Heals and Full Restores; those are relevant to any non-volatile status in the game rather than just the first effect.

They also don't cheat on crits, though that one's harder to prove. 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19992 on: February 05, 2018, 06:41:15 pm »

The only Gym Leader I remember having a held status restore Berry(Lum Berry) was Whitney, because her Miltank wasn't murder incarnate enough.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19993 on: February 06, 2018, 06:56:53 pm »

Another mission that went both quite well and also absolutely disastrously. All four units survived (and the enemies dropped a good amount of loot) but most of the civilians on the map died (only one survived).

The other times I attempted this mission (Yes, I savescummed it) I wound up losing one soldier 'cause of blindspots and being rushed and reaction fire not being sufficient, which would then create a blindspot/hole in my defenses that would result in the loss of another agent, and so on and so forth.

I guess it counts as a victory since all four soldiers made it out in one piece when they were heavily outnumbered, but since the rating was "pathetic" (read: the score was about -450), it hurts my rep more than it helps.

In any case, not the worst of missions, but it definitely wasn't the best.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19994 on: February 06, 2018, 09:26:13 pm »

Then I got to that city with the giant, endless bridge that shows off the 3D graphics...
[slowly drowns you out with music]
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 1571