Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1335 1336 [1337] 1338 1339 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2263751 times)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20040 on: February 15, 2018, 02:03:03 am »

Fell off my bridge into the ever staring, ever dark void below.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20041 on: February 15, 2018, 04:17:37 pm »

Built a massive, complicated system to take in mixed gas and filter it into separate CO2, Chlorine, Hydrogen, and misc. tanks, sending oxygen back into the base.  And it worked!  But it used far more metal and time than I expected it to.  The system had a fatal flaw as well; almost all of the gas being drawn in was CO2 (because that's what my colonists produce) but the algae terrariums in the tank were slower at filtering the CO2 into oxygen than the pumps were at adding more CO2, resulting in a clog unless I vented CO2 back into the base.

I built this thing so I would have a way to expand the base into other biomes and replace their various gasses with oxygen.  But in the process of building and troubleshooting it I ran out of metal, making it very difficult to connect new areas to it.  As a result expansion stalled and new resources halted.  My base dealt with this quite well.  The only problem that truly threatened the colony's survival is that without new algae and water, we could neither produce more oxygen nor eliminate CO2.  As a result the CO2 began to rise.  But everything was ventilated so that even without pumps, the CO2 would pool in mined out pits at the bottom of the base, and there was a huge amount of existing oxygen.

No, what did me in was a much simpler error.  I had batteries and power plants too close to my greenhouse.  This caused heat to drain in and my plants stopped growing.  So not only were people having to take breathing breaks, not only were they stressed out, but food became ever more scarce.  To top it all off I had not yet found the UI for restricting tasks, so everyone was doing everything.  Efficiency dropped, I couldn't expand, and everyone starved to death while panicking.  Once my trained miners died and population dropped to 3 it was clear I lacked the manpower to expand and eventually there would be no more oxygen, so I decided that was the end of the story.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20042 on: February 15, 2018, 07:28:07 pm »

DOn't worry, I don't know what the real canon is but my headcanon just has those duplicants set up to create a living space inside an asteroid for the super rich.  Once the last duplicant dies some rich as hell asshole moves him and his family in and pumps in whatever resource was still needed when they all died.

Cheaper than hiring actual contractors to build a home among the stars you just have to clean up a few bodies and yer good to go.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20043 on: February 16, 2018, 02:18:56 am »

You are the Chaplain.
You feel... HUNGRY! You are the Changeling!
Objective #1: Absorb the DNA of at least 4 more crew members in addition to the one you started with, and escape on the shuttle alive.
Objective #2: Escape on the shuttle alive.

Made four deadly 'molotov' pitchers full of Chlorine Trifluoride, Phlogiston, Fluorosulfuric Acid and a hint of Neurotoxin, for pitching at people. Threw one at a Doctor and drank his DNA dry, and scoured the station for a second, when...

Alert: Self-Destruct Sequence has been engaged.
Detonation in T-30 seconds!

RD runs from Mechanics, where he set up the bomb.
I throw every last molotov I had at him, and he ends up dead right as the bomb goes off.
After he's dead, Unknown (as King Midas) begins to grow another head, right as the entire hallway, as well as the remainder of the station, is consumed in a small nuclear fireball that kills most of the crew and causes a crew shortage and fatality shuttle call. This proves that he is a fellow Changeling.

No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20044 on: February 16, 2018, 03:23:50 am »

DOn't worry, I don't know what the real canon is but my headcanon just has those duplicants set up to create a living space inside an asteroid for the super rich.  Once the last duplicant dies some rich as hell asshole moves him and his family in and pumps in whatever resource was still needed when they all died.

Cheaper than hiring actual contractors to build a home among the stars you just have to clean up a few bodies and yer good to go.
My personal headcannon is that it isn't an asteroid, its a flat ant farm for an impossibly powerful/large alien.  Possibly the player.  The back wall looks like glass to me; my theory is, stuff doesn't fall because its secured to the glass.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20045 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:27 am »

Madevra touched my butt.

Demon.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20046 on: February 16, 2018, 07:23:04 am »

Black lives matter.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20047 on: February 16, 2018, 04:12:27 pm »

A level 1 wizard and a level 1 rogue form a party and enter some woods. The party encounters a wolf. The wolf eats the party. The end.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20048 on: February 16, 2018, 06:34:35 pm »

I've reached the Throne.  I'm playing as Chicken and I'm carrying a Super Splinter Gun (a shotgun crossbow) and a Nuke Launcher (slightly more self explanatory).  My ammo's near dry for the crossbow but hey I have nukes for a giant boss.  I shoot off the skeleton sitting on the Throne, which naturally causes the Throne to shoot an angry radiation beam and then sprout robot spider legs.  Boss fight begins.

Now, in order to loop (play the game again, but harder with more stuff) you need to destroy four generators before blowing up the Throne itself.  It can be pretty hectic, as the generators are pretty beefy and its effectively timed.  The Throne regularly marches forward, and if it overtakes the generators obviously you can't shoot at them anymore and cannot loop.  The Throne is also spraying projectiles and more rad beams everywhere but that's beside the point.

The Nuke Launcher at least makes the generators trivial, taking off enough hp that I can just finish them with two shots of my cross bow each.  But the Throne's projectile patterns are forcing me to be in nuke range myself sometimes.  I get the generators down, but the nukes are fairing very badly against the Throne.  The nukes are very slow and basically try to home in to where my mouse is pointing.  As I'm running from the Throne the nukes try to u-turn instead of actually hitting the throne.

So projectiles (and bad nukes) reduce me to zero HP.  As Chicken, when she hits zero HP she doesn't die, her head just falls off.  She has a few seconds to get a health pack to reattach her head and keep going, or else she dies.  The only health here either randomly drops from certain shots the Throne fires, or whatever the Throne drops when it dies.  Waiting on special attacks would take too long, so its now or never on killing the Throne.

The Throne takes a few more nukes and crossbow bolts before shuddering.  Its spider legs splay apart as the Throne's body slams down and begins to explode, a chain reaction of smaller bursts.  Meanwhile in the hall before it, a headless chicken finally bleeds out and collapses herself.  The Throne bursts, and in its death throes a great portal opens for someone who will never enter it, the loop.  You almost reached the Nuclear Throne.

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20049 on: February 16, 2018, 08:55:32 pm »

Fell off my windmill tower... several times. Probably should have used full-sized stairs and floors instead of small stairs and wall-walks.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20050 on: February 17, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »

It probably meant "4 cloth as well as 4 windmill blades".
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20051 on: February 17, 2018, 05:35:29 pm »

It's a list of things that tick off as you collect them. The cloth and windmill blades are separate things ticked off. The only way to avoid having the cloth objective marked as complete before the windmill blades is to make one just cloth, then one windmill blade, and repeat.

It should say "as well as", yes. But it didn't.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20052 on: February 17, 2018, 06:18:13 pm »

Huh, that's pretty strange. I thought you meant it was a guide someone wrote externally, and not as part of the game. My mistake.
Black lives matter.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20053 on: February 18, 2018, 06:53:26 am »

Galatians stomped the shit out of my ambushing army. Eastern spearmen and hillmen are apparently made of paper-mache and fear because they melted away from levy freemen of all things.
Pontus
---

Also what the fuck kind of steroids are in Colchis? I had superior tactics and was only slightly outnumbered but they fought me off twice before I defeated them soundly on a bridge. And then they rolled out a third full stack. I am normally borderline invincible on this game.

Armenia

Both Rome Total War 2
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20054 on: February 18, 2018, 08:00:05 pm »

I decided that I wanted the world to be warm, wet, and mostly land, but didn't know what I was doing and I paid the price later. After the initial formation of the planet I massively ramped up volcanic activity and sent massive numbers of meteors crashing into the surface. Tectonic activity was very high, and the atmosphere was a hellish, ridiculously dense soup of N2, CO2, and CH4 with surface temperatures well exceeding 50o C even around the poles. When the planet finally cooled enough to form proper oceans I found that the surface was about 70/30 on land and sea. The tough conditions meant that prokaryotic life took longer than usual to form, about 1.5 billion years (compared to Earth's 700 million,) with eukaryotes not appearing for another billion years. Complex multicellular life, in the form of simple anemone analogues, appeared just 250 million years later. These and other radially symmetrical life forms spread extremely rapidly through the oceans, as bacteria gave way to vast jungles (which given the world's age I can only assume were made up of giant lichen and horsetail things) on land. Around 100 million years later those jungles were swarming with simple arthropods, and algae-eating mollusks were starting to displace the jellyfish in the planet's southern ocean. just 50 million years later, I had my first mass extinction. The jungles had by then converted most of the CO2 in the atmosphere to O2, and the atmosphere was a disastrous 35% oxygen. There weren't enough terrestrial organisms to establish a carbon cycle and the oceans were too small to serve as an effective sink, so the ecosystem collapsed as uncontrolled fires completely destroyed the jungles and almost everything that lived in them. Only a handful of islands near the equator were spared. The planet's main landmasses ended up dominated by grasslands whose CO2 needs were much lower, and weren't recolonized by animal life (mostly in the form of enormous insects) until a large island that still retained the old ecosystem became a subcontinent. A few terrestrial, tri-radially symmetrical organisms appeared as well but the insects quickly displaced them from the mainland and again the only surviving populations were on some isolated islands away from the Pangaea.

200 million years later the insects were no longer the dominant life form, having been replaced by reptiles, some of them quite large, and some salamander things in the coastal regions. The oceans were now filled with fish, although mastery of them still belonged to the mollusks and arthropods and would from that point forward. By now I was expecting (and hoping tbh) to get sapient dinosaurs but hilariously it was the primitive tri-fold isolate population that finally made the leap, with stone age tripod societies quickly spreading throughout their Madagascar-sized island which was now in the middle of an inland sea. They stayed there for a long time, almost 400,000 years, but they eventually reached a bronze-age equivalent tech and were able to make the voyage to Pangaea. They quickly established colonies along the coast and a golden age ensued. There was war and famine though, and a lot of them regressed to band societies after a while. The center island was again the source of progress as an industrial revolution kicked off there. These peoples conquered all those who didn't industrialize themselves, but it took a very long time. Long enough that the pollution of an industrial society became a problem. It wasn't like Earth, there were no permanent polar ice caps in this world and the O2 concentration in the air was so high and CO2 so low that the climate was actually stabilizing, at least in the short term. The problem was airborne particulates. Try as I might I could neither get them to advance to a level of technology that would prevent the catastrophe, nor (as I later tried to do) cause them to regress to a pre-industrial state and allow the atmosphere to recover. They actually put enough particulate matter into the air to cause an effect analogous to a volcanic winter. The planet cooled significantly, and desert claimed most of the planet's landmass. None of the tripod people survived the desertification or the wars and unrest that broke out as society's energies had to be directed toward immediate survival and social institutions could no longer be maintained. There were still some reptiles around though, and besides the extinction of the radiate organisms (due to glaciation of their habitat) the ocean was more or less unaffected. I could've kept playing, but the tripods were my doods and seeing them wiped out kinda bummed me out.

SimEarth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:05:39 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 1335 1336 [1337] 1338 1339 ... 1571