Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2267388 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20055 on: February 18, 2018, 08:55:58 pm »

The developers admitted a sweet spot for trichordates in the manual (or strategy guide?).  They're mechanically pretty awful, but they were my favorite too.  I guess I shared the devs' interest in what could have been.

At least they aren't the jellyfish, trying to form civilization exclusively in swamps, heh.  Fortunately their civilizations usually died off quickly even without divine intervention.
I had a carnifern civilization once, but it was tough.
Being a young child, I particularly enjoyed the...  post-game civilization, and boiling the oceans to accommodate it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:58:13 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20056 on: February 19, 2018, 01:53:14 am »

I'm finally giving Horizons a proper whirl, with a minor additional tweak on my part that doubles all damage dealt and received.  Combined with the design intent behind Horizon to make combat less bullet-spongy, this generally makes things extra-interesting for the player.  So, minor note about the game: in vanilla, certain types of enemies don't spawn until you're at very high levels.  For a particular example, an enemy that doesn't spawn until the player is level 81 is the Chameleon Deathclaw, a nasty big bundle of scales, claws, and serious anger problems that also happen to be invisible.  Horizon doesn't have this restriction on enemy spawns, something which eluded my notice.

Needless to say, I blundered into a nasty big bundle of scales, claws, and serious anger problems that also happened to be invisible.  Before I even reached level 15.  I took precisely one hit to go down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20057 on: February 19, 2018, 05:03:48 am »

A 1/1 with skulk and lifelink, after I wasted all my removals on big stompy creatures.

Magic The Gathering.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20058 on: February 19, 2018, 06:45:34 am »

Did the catapult construction tutorial. Other than the flipping around the two catch block variants for the arming mechanism(which only required that I use Shift-F to turn, not just F), I do it just like the provided pictures.

I save, and turn it towards my wooden keep to test fire. Turns out, if you place the projectiles so it snaps to the bucket, it is glued to the bucket and doesn't release. Next try, the shot isn't released until the end of the throw instead of the apex of the throwing arc - that is, it goes with forwards and down. Mostly down. Even when I got a close range hit on the palisades, it did no damage, and when the same shot rolled down the hill to my flax field, it bounced off the fence.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20059 on: February 21, 2018, 08:21:37 pm »

Nara of Amber was slain by a giant flea on floor 14.
You'd think the invisible beasty which kept summoning hordes of skaven every time I dimension-doored would get some credit, but nah, it was a flea :P
The RNG also gets some credit - I *knew* teleport, it just failed twice in a row at ~15%.  And a third time due to insufficient mana, which paralyzed me until death.

My only regret is that I didn't try casting "shuffle".  But really, Trump magic kinda sucks at low level.

Zangband
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20060 on: February 21, 2018, 08:30:16 pm »

What even is 'trump magic'? Makes me think of Donald Trump than any sort of magic discipline.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20061 on: February 21, 2018, 08:42:36 pm »

In the Chronicle of Amber series, the Princes of Amber can use special cards to communicate with each other. Each deck has trump cards which represent the oher Princes of Amber. I remember them also being used for transportation and other weirder things later on in the series, but not enough for details.

I have no idea how this relates to Zangband, however.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20062 on: February 21, 2018, 08:44:36 pm »

Zangband is based on the Chronicles of Amber, so it is indeed tarot magic through the heart of the cards.  Basically, instead of tarot as divination, imagine tarot as a method to summon monsters and teleport around.  The trump cards in any tarot deck are the most famous cards, the major arcana, plus the fool.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:46:15 pm by Culise »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20063 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:41 pm »

Designed a ship with a particle accelerator.   A really beefy one.  Decided to do a battle test against a few other ships I designed just to smooth out any issues and found an issue immediately.

My little torpedo boat managed to take out a bit of one of the particle accelerator arms at a corner on it's first salvo.  A little bit of unarmored section.  Particle accelerators big weakness is that any disconnected arms will backfire whenever the main gun is fired.  The weak point in the particle accelerator arm was perfectly placed to instantly core it's own ship next time it was fired, destroying the whole thing.

Hoping it was a fluke I retested, and it happened again almost immediately.  Just something about the armor placement just makes that spot a torpedo magnet.

From the Depths
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20064 on: February 22, 2018, 06:15:58 am »

Are the torpedoes magnetic? Given that a particle accelerator in real life uses powerful magnets to accelerate the particles, they could very well be attracting the torpedoes to the least armored spot.

I'd be surprised if that's how it actually worked in FtD, but who knows.

EDIT: Some pirates showed up in some backwater system. I jumped a 1024-scale battleship halfway across the galaxy, to have fun with scale 10-12(most of them) pirate ships.

The thing is, ships do not have any inherent defense against boarding. At all. And shields do not stop boarding pods. They only have defense against boarding if they have crew quarters and internal defense components. And I've just been putting a highly advanced computer core to pilot these things rather than take up the extra space of a live crew.

So! A few minutes later, I discovered that my former battleship was razing the worlds in that system. The only good thing was that the ship was a few tech levels out of date, and was therefore no match for the combined firepower of the two ships I jumped in to deal with it, and I did learn about the effectiveness of  armor and heavy shielding in any case as well as boarding defense.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:15:58 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20065 on: February 22, 2018, 01:09:33 pm »

My only regret is that I didn't try casting "shuffle".  But really, Trump magic kinda sucks at low level.

Zangband

Eh what? I'd rate trump 1 as literally the best 1st spell book in the game. (assuming it's the same as poscheng, from memory it's pretty close). Teleport, TO, telepathy, phase. All in 1 book at much lower level than there sorcery equivalent. Sucks for killing things but mages get a 2nd realm & trump rogues just hit things. What's wrong with trump?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20066 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:07 pm »

EDIT: Some pirates showed up in some backwater system. I jumped a 1024-scale battleship halfway across the galaxy, to have fun with scale 10-12(most of them) pirate ships.

The thing is, ships do not have any inherent defense against boarding. At all. And shields do not stop boarding pods. They only have defense against boarding if they have crew quarters and internal defense components. And I've just been putting a highly advanced computer core to pilot these things rather than take up the extra space of a live crew.

So! A few minutes later, I discovered that my former battleship was razing the worlds in that system. The only good thing was that the ship was a few tech levels out of date, and was therefore no match for the combined firepower of the two ships I jumped in to deal with it, and I did learn about the effectiveness of  armor and heavy shielding in any case as well as boarding defense.

Imagine the faces on the boarding party when they land on the superpowered (compared to what they're packing) battleship expecting a brutal fight to capture it before it can completely destroy their own ships, only to find that all they had to do to take it was walk to the control room.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20067 on: February 22, 2018, 02:42:21 pm »

Zangband

Eh what? I'd rate trump 1 as literally the best 1st spell book in the game. (assuming it's the same as poscheng, from memory it's pretty close). Teleport, TO, telepathy, phase. All in 1 book at much lower level than there sorcery equivalent. Sucks for killing things but mages get a 2nd realm & trump rogues just hit things. What's wrong with trump?
In Zangband it even has Mind Blast as the second spell, level 4 :P
Yeah it's not bad, I was being overdramatic.  The problem is that having any sort of fail chance on Dimension Door or Teleport make them dramatically less useful for emergencies.

It was really my fault for not having a teleport scroll (and some mushrooms of cure blindness... and fire resist...).  But this was very low level, and such necessities seem oddly rare in Zangband compared to ToME3 or Steamband.  YASD (or 6, lol)

Last death was kinda annoying, actually.  Met at least 2 giant slugs on dungeon level 3, normally found on 11.  I was a level 9 dwarf cleric so I wasn't too worried, but one breathed acid for over half my health from offscreen.  While I was under half health.  Might have been a vault, but I didn't see it...

Zangband
She/they

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20068 on: February 25, 2018, 08:04:46 am »

Built a small wooden sailboat, armed with 20 guns(light CRAMs) and tested against some of the lighter DWG ships. Couldn't do much damage since for some reason the two guns on the rear were the only ones firing. I figure they don't have a large enough firing arc so I rebuild the cannon barrels to use motor/elevation barrels instead of recoil-suppression.

...Then I notice that I don't have a fire control on the ship. The reason the two guns were firing is because they they were close enough to where I was standing to be controlled directly. Whoops.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20069 on: February 25, 2018, 10:33:14 am »

I think in the campaign if you scuttle the tiny starter boat they give you, you end up with around 15k material.  That said the campaign also gives you a two hour grace period before the DWG start invading you.  Usually the first thing they attack you with is a Marauder and a Riverhome.  The biggest obsticle for a starter ship is probably going to be the marauder's front mounted derp gun.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 1571