Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2268173 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20070 on: March 03, 2018, 05:25:17 pm »

What the hell kind of puzzle is this. Instead of any of the Pokemon you set, only Axew, Fraxure, and Haxorus(it's Haxorus' stage) appear, and the board is set up so you literally cannot make enough matches* to win before you run out of moves. Nor can you use a move limit extension(I think this is the first level where it's not an option). You can use a jewel(which costs actual money, though you get a decent amount free) to get extra moves when you run out. Did they seriously make level that's a literal paywall?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20071 on: March 03, 2018, 05:33:26 pm »

Zombie pigman spawned in the cordined off blaze spawner room - while I was trying to clear the last of the 5 blazes sword and board style; and he had a buddy with him.

I did not survive the confusion, despite taking 1 fireball and 1 melee from the blazes.

Theyve changed the game in small but somewhat important ways, making the nomad hardcore run (2 now, both dead) . . . interesting.

Minecraft
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20072 on: March 04, 2018, 11:47:07 am »

I had just gotten through winter and finished trading with various driik villages, I was on my boat and getting ready to go home, then I heard a roar, I saw a bear! It didn't seem interested in me and was just hanging about so I quickly got on my raft and got onto the water. At this point I must of decided I didn't particularly feel like living anymore so I got onto land, equipped my bow, and shot the bear.

It wasn't too happy about this. I attempt to run and quickly realize that I have no hope of escaping, so I tried to put my bow away to get my newly bought sword out. It attacked me and I immediately passed out. I thought I was dead but I almost immediately woke up so I got up, equipped my battlesword and attacked the bear. Due to my rather high dodging skill I was able to avoid all but one or so of the bears attacks and after several good hits on it I took it down. My first ever bear kill. Of course, I bled out shortly after this. Oops.

UnrealWorld
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20073 on: March 04, 2018, 03:44:47 pm »

Fired a SKEP(lock-on anti-tank missile) at a dying Magrider. The Magrider died while the missile is in flight, and the missile flies off course... right into a friendly player. Didn't kill them, fortunately.

Typed out an apology on /region. Then I eat several "Made in the Terran Republic" bullets to the face. Typed out an appropriate(it starts with "f") response on /region.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20074 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:36 am »

Eh, I guess this is in the spirit of the thread:

Daggum Borg cube.  I now understand why people play with random events turned off.

9 defiant class ships were not enough to destroy it, but 6 defiants and 5 sovereign class ships were.  I only lost 5 of the defiants in that engagement, with one sovereign severely damaged.

I gave up after two more cubes randomly appeared on the next turn in my systems.  I might have had enough ships to handle them, but they were on the other side of the galaxy dealing with brush fires from being at war with literally everybody because the computer does that if you start to win.

Through pain, I find wisdom.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20075 on: March 05, 2018, 03:34:53 am »

I've never played that game but it still sounds like it hasn't aged well at all. That's, like, Mortal Kombat 2 levels of AI-related bullshit.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20076 on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:33 am »

There's a reason why they actually had to patch in an extra ini option to block the Borg even in games with random events active.  Individual Borg cubes in BOTF are full-on Best of Both Worlds, and every time they assimilate any world, even more of them are built.  Unless you're playing Romulans (which are horribly imbalanced) and spamming their strike cruisers (which are even nastier; only Defiants really stack up), Borg cubes will eat entire fleets for breakfast, second breakfasts, elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, supper, and dinner, and perhaps partake of a midnight snack or three.  Since the AI has absolutely no idea how to handle them, that usually results in either one of two things: either (a) they appear next to the player and hammer you flat with one cube, or (b) they appear next to the AI, hammer them flat, and come after you with a dozen or so cubes.  If you don't swat them fast, they will overwhelm you, and they don't swat easy.

But yeah, the AI is pretty blatant in its cheating in that game. You'll regularly conquer worlds with horribly imbalanced facility loadouts (like dozens of energy plants and not a single farm or factory), as I recall.  If I could get old versions of DirectX working on a virtual machine without crashing, I might actually be tempted to dust it off and play again now.  I mean, it was a bit of a mess and certain iconic ships are missing because Microprose/Hasbro couldn't get more than the TNG license, but I still miss it. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:43:38 am by Culise »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20077 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:38 am »

It's technically piracy so I won't link to the site, but there is a patched version that includes DirectX fixes that allows the game to run fine on modern versions of DirectX and Windows.  It doesn't work well with multiple monitors and you may have to tweak settings to avoid the dreaded mouse lag problem, but overall it works surprisingly well.  I was in the same boat and had a strange inclination to play it after watching an episode of TNG, and scratched the itch after finding that.

The game really is fun, but it gets kind of monotonous after a while, can be very micro heavy, and yeah, the AI cheats like there's no tomorrow.  The game is actually markedly harder if you start at low tech levels since the computer effectively gets a bigger jump on you.  Within the first 20 turns or so I remember being at war with the Klingons because the AI isn't smart enough to play well and instead randomly demands money from you until you can't pay up, then gets mad and declares war.  Anyway, they assaulted an outpost I had with 6 or 7 destroyers, when I had to stretch my economy to the limit to afford 2 miranda class destroyers.  With the outpost's help I was able to actually repel the attack because the AI is also pretty dumb with its fleet tactics, but if I'd been a little less lucky in combat the game would have ended right there.

I never stopped producing warships in every system that could after that, and as of now, on turn 420 or so, I have I believe 15 galaxy class ships, 10 ambassador class ships, about 30 sovereign class ships and about 10 defiant class ships.  It's actually bad enough that I was borderline going negative income from fleet upkeep, but hey, it still wasn't enough to deal with the Borg.  I originally thought they must have spawned in Romulan territory and spread to me after clearing it, but after reloading the game I'm pretty sure the cubes were literally spawning randomly in my systems.  Either that or they can move about 20 squares per turn, which I don't think they can.  I believe they move 3 squares per turn normally.

Anyway, another small nitpick - winning as the Federation is way harder than it should be.  They get (reasonably) upset when you bomb or subjugate other empires' or species' planets, but that's the only way to win the game.  So... it really draws out when you have to wait 10 turns for morale to recover before you blow away the next unlucky group of aliens.  I tried some tactics I read about where I just used intelligence to sabotage everything until systems rebelled and then invited them into the Federation, but even with 15K intel over 100 turns or so, that didn't seem to be working.  Never saw a single rebellion.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20078 on: March 05, 2018, 01:13:54 pm »

the AI isn't smart enough to play well and instead randomly demands money from you until you can't pay up, then gets mad and declares war.

That DS version of Civilization: Revolution did the same silly gunboat diplomacy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20079 on: March 07, 2018, 08:27:16 pm »

No actual deaths so far but...

I was chilling in my inflatable dome for the night, reviewing the stuff I was going to need for a proper base,
Spoiler: when suddenly! (click to show/hide)

After that, I set out the following night to find a spot for a permanent base camp. I figured I had a decent spot, so I plopped down the fairly expensive habitat structure and airlock. It never pressurized, I assume because I had forgotten about power. I left my OMPA drone at the habitat to use as a waypoint, then began the march back to my original camp to see about building some solar panels. A few steps away and a sandworm that would make the one from Dune jealous jumps out of the ground. I sidestep and barely dodge out of its path. I cycle through my waypoints and find that my drone wasn't listed any more. I turn around. The goddamned worm ate my habitat, and it ate my OMPA drone(which is irreplaceable as far as I can see).

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20080 on: March 08, 2018, 02:22:06 pm »

No deaths and not even a game, but related and annoying.

Creating a Wesnoth multiplayer campaign. I edit a .cfg file, looking at other files as reference. I am using Master Commander with multi-editor to do so.
When trying to close one of the reference files, I accidentaly close the MC, closing all the multi-editor windows as well. It does not even ask me, whether I want to save, so an hour's work was just lost.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20081 on: March 08, 2018, 02:24:37 pm »

I use Notepad++ for editing Wesnoth stuff and it never failed me, just saying ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20082 on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »

I started with the hurt helpless and afraid start, I dropped my clothes and knife for extra challenge. Things went rather well, I had a few close calls early on but I eventually got enough things that I was decently well off. Unfortunately a njperpz came out of nowhere from behind and killed me.

The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20083 on: March 08, 2018, 04:49:47 pm »

Actual death this time. Got eaten by a sandworm because it jumped me on rocky terrain, and because whenever the player character drops more than a foot, he pauses for a couple seconds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20084 on: March 09, 2018, 03:45:56 pm »

Repeatedly fell and died because the controls are bullshit

Tomb raider; underworld
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1571