Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2262742 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20250 on: May 12, 2018, 11:42:29 am »

I missed the downramp, falling to my death.  Maybe I need to research guardrails, or maybe those are heresy.  Either way, I feel a little more sympathy for those dorfs who dodge down wells and things.
Either way I got resurrected but with semi-permanent "mutliation".
On the plus side, got a neat Fight Club quote loading the next mission!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh and the next mission (randomized)?  "Kill the Deus Ex Machina".  I only just completed the first area ):
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:26:30 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20251 on: May 12, 2018, 09:23:41 pm »

What was supposed to be a quick run against some unprepared pirates with my lance of medium mechs while I was in the medbay turned into a nasty enfilade.  Early encounter was three light mechs, which sucked me out of position just in time for an LRM carrier, two SRM carriers (one actual, one budget Striker), and a heavy Grasshopper to start hammering my left flank.  When I turned to face them, that was when the Hunchback popped out behind the light mechs.  We managed to pull off a win, but it put half the lance in the medbay for a month, the Hunchback and Shadowhawk in the repair bay for two weeks, and incurred expenses that ate up half the pay in a single gulp.

Oh, and the salvage was awful, just to add insult to injury.  A piece of that Grasshopper is all I can say was useful. 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20252 on: May 13, 2018, 08:51:36 am »

Attempted to build a proper Brig, which has two square-rigged masts(though the gaff-rigging on the mainmast is probably impossible).

The design of it came together nicely. Even added staysails/jibs(unsure which, photos of both look alike) to the bowsprit, using spin blocks(to set the angle), small steam piston shafts(to create an appearance of rigging rather than just big blocks), and triangular sails. I can get it to sail at around 20m/s, considerably faster than many of my propeller-driven ships(which hit 8-9m/s).

Of course, at such speeds it also decides to point itself up at a roughly 75° angle and try to fly through the air. It also has trouble with capsizing, despite the fact the keel is about 3-4m thick lead.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20253 on: May 13, 2018, 03:56:57 pm »

Playing CK2. My poor, poor duke got slain in battle by a 0 everything slow bishop.

Avanti!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20254 on: May 13, 2018, 05:18:10 pm »

Do the odds of death/injury in battle depend upon the opposing general at all?

P:

Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)

No?  Its random and dependent upon your traits.  Ive def lost commanders who were mopping up 500 strong garrisons or some such.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:21:15 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20255 on: May 13, 2018, 07:09:18 pm »

Had to poop at work, shortly after getting there in the morning, no less.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20256 on: May 13, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »

Least you’re getting paid for it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20257 on: May 13, 2018, 11:46:57 pm »

Least you’re getting paid for it.

My boss makes a dollar.
I make a dime.
That's why I poop
on company time.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20258 on: May 14, 2018, 05:54:39 am »

In a 1v1 continuous game, I'm apparently I'm so far behind that Leif Jorgenson is actually pitying me. For reference, Leif is a no-talent bard and is literally the weakest AI character. Even worse, this pity actually gave me Reputation points(which are used to unlock diplomacy actions).

Note that this occurred after about 4 hours playing. It also doesn't help that it took me nearly an hour to find the Orient harbor.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20259 on: May 14, 2018, 12:19:06 pm »

Boy howdy do I love playing against smurfs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20260 on: May 14, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »

Attempted to build a proper Brig, which has two square-rigged masts(though the gaff-rigging on the mainmast is probably impossible).

The design of it came together nicely. Even added staysails/jibs(unsure which, photos of both look alike) to the bowsprit, using spin blocks(to set the angle), small steam piston shafts(to create an appearance of rigging rather than just big blocks), and triangular sails. I can get it to sail at around 20m/s, considerably faster than many of my propeller-driven ships(which hit 8-9m/s).

Of course, at such speeds it also decides to point itself up at a roughly 75° angle and try to fly through the air. It also has trouble with capsizing, despite the fact the keel is about 3-4m thick lead.

Air in From the Depths is basically lightweight water, and water is jello.  As a result while you can apply real life design principles, the real life designs themselves don't work unless they're very heavy (hence why almost all of the replicas on the workshop are of WW2 warships).  The dev did it on purpose to make airships possible.

If your ship is nosing up into the air you can add something like this to the front of it:
Where B is your boats bottom, M is metal and L is lead.  Just be sure that the metal pillar has a sloped front or else your keel will generate drag and cause the vessel to nose down.  The effects of drag below the waterline are intense; they can cause minor balance issues to vastly destabilize the ship when its in motion.  The front of your ship should be like a knife to cut through the jello.  I suspect that's your problem; I had a vessel that behaved exactly like you're describing.  It was a paddleboat and I had given it a flat front for cosmetic purposes.

Its also possible that your masts are destabilizing the ship.  Imagine air resistance as pushing backwards on your masts; since they're so high up from the center of mass, they effectively serve as a lever to tip your ship upwards.  In real life this wouldn't happen since the wind would be pushing from the opposite direction (and RL air is thinner).  But I believe FtD cheats and puts sail force directly behind the CoM.  Dumb as it sounds, have you tried putting wedges in front of all your mast blocks to make them aerodynamic?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20261 on: May 14, 2018, 01:27:44 pm »

Already put a below-keel keel on it. I'll have to try wedges on the mast. It's mostly stopped doing that except when I first spawn it in. It just sucks in a fight though... primarily because the current design of it uses hardener/EMP/penetration fuse CRAMs and harpoon missiles(for piracy purposes). The harpoon missiles keep tipping the boat over as it reels in, to the point I'm about to put rams on the tips of the sail booms.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20262 on: May 15, 2018, 09:18:19 am »

On How you last died.
I have no one to blame but myself.
No zombie hulk suddenly appeared.
No horde of zombies surrounded me.
It was just one normal zombie at the end, because I forgot my limits in my rampage.
Goodbye, Fred the Fighter, slayer of 155 zombies.
YASD.

Cataclysm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:59:05 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20263 on: May 15, 2018, 09:50:32 am »

YASD?
Black lives matter.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20264 on: May 15, 2018, 09:51:59 am »

Yet Another Stupid Death. Used when your death is in hindsight completely preventable, and caused by your own stupidity.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 1571