Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2263069 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20850 on: November 20, 2018, 06:09:47 pm »

Maybe they evolved to recover from being KOed faster than whatever was attacking them, so a mutual KO is effectively a win. :P

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: November 20, 2018, 08:14:52 pm »

It's a bit analogous to things like frogs with poisonous skin, for instance.  The frog isn't going to be in any state to care if some unknowing snake eats it, but that snake is going to avoid any future examples of that frog if it happens to survive.  Pokemon with Self-Destruct avoid predation or harassment by making it a losing strategy to mess with them, because wild Pokemon can't just walk to the nearest Pokemon center.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20852 on: November 21, 2018, 04:10:36 am »

Then why does it jump out in front of me and then stop me from running away?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #20853 on: November 21, 2018, 06:30:32 am »

It can be an effective group hunting strategy. One invidual jumps in front of a large prey, explodes, killing him and the prey in the process, then the rest of the group feeds on both prey and predator.

In the case of voltorbs who don't have a lot of hunting capacity, this strategy would prove effective as a survival mechanism for the tribe, allowing the exploding voltorbs to eventually outbreed non exploding ones.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20854 on: November 21, 2018, 10:02:03 am »

Was looting a Khergit village when the owner comes up. Now, for some reason if someone attacks you while you are pillaging a village, the battle has you mounted while the enemy(+the villagers) is not. Normally this would have been a curbstomp, because Khergits. I made the hilariously stupid decision to charge into the masses while my army hung back. Cue being picked apart by villagers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: November 23, 2018, 10:44:15 am »

Not exactly a death but it felt so shitty that it deserves a mention. I usually buy one or two keys at the start, because they can help, especially if I'm already packing some items from town and the fountain blessing was good. As it turns out I was right, but then I got like 3-4 more copper chests in the first three floors that I had to skip since I didn't get any additional key drops. Then comes floor 4 and I get 4 (as in FOUR) copper keys, but no fucking chests whatsoever.

And this happened twice in a row, it feels freaking rigged at times :V

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
And you know how many copper chests were in the next three floors?

Fucking none
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:56:27 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: November 24, 2018, 06:25:06 pm »

"Hard isn't the highest difficulty, should be good for a blind playthrough." - Me at the start of the game

"OK, attempt 4! Maybe this time I'll beat the tutorial fight!" - Me an hour later

Spoiler: Game (click to show/hide)
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: November 25, 2018, 05:44:51 am »

So vanilla SupCom was not a particularly well balanced game (not faction imbalance specifically, but even within a single faction there was stuff that was dumb). One such issue is air, specifically, T1 interceptors being too fast for T1 AA to kill, making their only counter either higher tier stuff or T1 intis of your own. Now, in a regular game that won't be too much of an issue since you've got access to all of the tech. In the second mission of the first campaign tho, you don't, which means the only way you can kill the enemy intis is with your own. Here's the kicker tho, the enemy starts with a swarm of them near your base, and the moment your build your first air factory they keep getting more, and they start patrolling your own base, so anything you build will get sniped fairly quickly without doing much of anything. They'll send in swarms of bombers too, but those are fairly slow and easily dealt with with AA, the issue comes from the fact that you have 30 minutes to build an air transport and ferry some engineers over to the other side of the map or else it's gg.

I am yet to figure out how to deal with this shit, other than maybe ground spam to murder their production base, but even then, I'm not sure if one is in the play area or not at the start which would make that kinda impossible :V
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: November 25, 2018, 05:58:19 am »

Can you build mobile land AA? You can get sometimes better results with just a wad of mobile T1 AA instead of the emplacements (the hell, spellchecker? How do you not know that that's a word?), and they can patrol and area to boot. Heck, the Cybran T1 mobile AA even has tracking projectiles, although its engagement range is lower than the others.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: November 25, 2018, 07:55:25 am »

Yes, but the UEF one has the same armament as the static one which makes it mostly useless against fighters. I have an idea to push with land to the ridge that's blocking the objective area and build a proxy air factory there and just hop the engi over, enemy air superiority be damned.
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: November 25, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »

Pretend it's a challenge run where all your ground units slowly lose HP. :p
Just living with the air superiority until you can start building your own seems like a good strategy here. I haven't played the game but I assume that interceptors can't do much to ground units, being air superiority units.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20861 on: November 25, 2018, 02:57:31 pm »

Killed by a soldier clipping through a wall. Killed by a pseudodog spawning behind me as the level loaded to nothing personnel me. Killed by a bandit with a sniper shotgun. Killed when my kalash jammed on the first shot, for no apparent reason. Died instantly when I dropped a suit.

The Zone is a strange place.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20862 on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:45 pm »

If I remember how the various unit AIs works, at large scale your AA will fire at the lead airplane and hit the ones behind it.  Try and bait with air units to get them to all line up chasing them.  Once you have it down to a small number put your engis on the air factory and spam out intercepters faster than they can kill them.

I don't remember this mission which means it probably wasn't that frustrating which probably means that THQ released a balance patch aimed at multiplayer and accidentally fucked up the SP caimpaign.  Then, you know, went out of business :(
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: November 25, 2018, 03:24:09 pm »

I don't remember this mission which means it probably wasn't that frustrating which probably means that THQ released a balance patch aimed at multiplayer and accidentally fucked up the SP caimpaign.
Either that or it was such a traumatic experience that it was blocked from your memory.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: November 25, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »

My friend told me I could get an awesome exclusive title for my characters in the game's sequel if I made it all the way to level 20 without dying in the starter zone in this game.

He then dragged me to a place full of Charr more than twice my level to 'powerlevel' me and I died immediately.

Guild Wars 1 Prophecies
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 1571