Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1390 1391 [1392] 1393 1394 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2265992 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20865 on: November 25, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »

The title I'm assuming your friend is talking about, Defender of Ascalon, does not actually have any prohibition on dying. You only need to grind to level 20 without ever leaving. There's also "Legendary Survivor of Ascalon", but that's just a self-imposed challenge, and has nothing to do with in-game stuff. Note: I don't play, I just looked up the wiki.

Latest death: Fighting a boss wave against Reaver. I'm downed, and the stupid prick just plops his ass down behind cover so I can't try to kill him and get a Second Wind. Moxxi, Moxxi, you hurt me so good...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actual latest death: Was surfing on top of my ship while testing it against the DWG Wanderlust to see how it does against a more expensive ship(29k vs 50k). A missile landed on me, and since I turn my AI off, my ship had no control.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20866 on: November 25, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »

Ahhh flippin' Dung Knight dung balled me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20867 on: November 25, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »

It was literally the second UEF mission XD

Managed to beat it using my method, once over the hill you get access to T2 flak so clearing the sky and spamming out a shitload of your own intis is fairly easy.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20868 on: November 25, 2018, 06:29:41 pm »

Heh, that's one thing that was always good fun with Supcom... You toss away hours and clumps of torn-out hair smashing your head against the brick wall that is a level, and eventually in a sacrificial Hail Mary you manage to overextend yourself to the point where you meet the last objective, finally completing the mission!

...and then a cutscene plays and the game goes "Well done! Now here's the rest of the mission!", and the map suddenly opens up to reveal that it's three times larger than before.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20869 on: November 25, 2018, 08:51:49 pm »

Touched spikes in Sigma's moon base in Mega Man X8.  I remembered there being a lot of spikes, which I was reintroduced to by a screen transition dumping me on some.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20870 on: November 27, 2018, 06:59:04 am »

Lost two of my trio in an indoor siege, purely because the game spawned a door that was actually obscured by a sneaky bit of rubble that was basically impossible to notice... if not for that I would have just revved up the chainsaw again and we all woulda survived. :(
Now I have just one dude left, right at the business end of the country... things look pretty grim.
We lost the dang chainsaw in there, too - in fact even Gino barely made it out alive.   

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #20871 on: November 27, 2018, 12:40:02 pm »

I opened up From the Depths and my GPU died, forcing me to buy a new pc.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20872 on: November 27, 2018, 03:59:09 pm »

Doing the Shadow of the Past mission, five minutes into it, the goddamn werewolf wanders into my town and aggroes. At this point I have a handful of shitty lvl5 and under heroes, the werewolf is a lvl10 monstrosity with crazy damage and 3k HP (my heroes at this point have a couple hundred hp at most, they die in 1-2 hits). Damn thing proceeds to wreck three important buildings and at that point it's just gg since I can't deal with that shit.

Next attempt the werewolf ignores me for the first 10 or so minutes, which means by the time he attacks I have a sizeable force of fairly leveled heroes (with upgrades) and the thing drops dead without doing much of anything.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20873 on: November 27, 2018, 07:31:15 pm »

Majesty 2 is a train wreck, if I may say so... Some missions it's really just a matter of having a perfectly-leveled appropriate hero (barbarian or wizard, generally) from the previous mission that's powerful enough to beat the snot out of things and cheap enough to push out within the first ten minutes. Also hope the RNG favors you.

Just wait until the later missions, like when you go up against that asshole imp and are trying to balance flow of experience with destroying enough lairs to prevent everything from falling apart.

The final mission is also a clusterfuck, although somehow less of one than some of the earlier missions (keeping that GODDAMN CART alive during the vampire mission, for example)... All in all, it's not as good as its predecessor.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the Anvil of Krolm is a nightmare, as is the Valley of Serpents... But somehow they're less aggravating, possibly because of how Maj2 tries to push things more towards traditional RTS games, while the original still has some slight personality in its heroes...

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20874 on: November 28, 2018, 04:17:01 am »

My friend told me I could get an awesome exclusive title for my characters in the game's sequel if I made it all the way to level 20 without dying in the starter zone in this game.

He then dragged me to a place full of Charr more than twice my level to 'powerlevel' me and I died immediately.

Guild Wars 1 Prophecies

Wow, GW1.
How is it these days? Still populated?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20875 on: November 28, 2018, 04:59:47 am »

Have not gotten too deep in.  Pre searing seems reasonably populated, generally a couple dozen folks hanging around Ascalon City.  Post seems less populated, with Ascalon City only having a handful of folks, and Embark Beach having about a dozen at a time.  EDIT: Supposedly there was very recently a GW2 dev that started updating the GW1 graphics system in their free time, so that might have rejuvenated it a bit.

I imagine there is a hub city or something like Lions Arch in GW2 that I have not gotten to yet that is more populated, so I can't really say for sure, have just gotten into the Diessa area, we're going a bit slow because we're kinda searching for familiar landmarks from GW2.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:02:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20876 on: November 28, 2018, 09:29:09 am »

Leg-breaking is... not fun. The bat is too small to hit legs without getting grabbed, and when a zombie grabs you the camera focuses on the head, causing you to smash their head.

El Jefe can go ahead and call himself the Zombie Leg Breaker. I just hope he gets torn to pieces trying to live up to his name. Would serve him right for being an arrogant bastard.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20877 on: November 28, 2018, 04:10:34 pm »

Spend a few hours building my empire up. Can't really expand because some idiot is blocking me into my arm so I conquer him, take his stuff. Start consolidating my empire when the robot guys declare war on me. They attack a system in the middle of my empire - no problem, I send my fleet in to defend.

I have a 4.2M strength fleet, plus a ~800k strength defense base, plus a support outpost (not sure how effective those are). He has 4 fleets which, combined add up to ~2.5 million strength. I should absolutely crush him right? WRONG.

My fleet is nearly wiped out almost to the last ship, I manage to warp the flagship and a few stragglers away but it's 90% dead. I destroyed maybe half his stuff. Why? I don't know, I have absolutely no idea the game provides ZERO feedback on combat, zero idea of what counters what, and no real clear idea on what the enemy even has unless you click on each little ship and examine it closely and then just remember what he has.

But it's worse. He smashes up that system, which is in the middle of my empire - it splits my empire in two, cutting my trade lanes apart and due to the nature of the game's economic system that sends me into an unstoppable death spiral. I can't build any new ships because I have negative income and you can't stockpile money in good times to use when this happens, so there's literally nothing I can do except watch my empire starve to death... the AI is not even smart enough to keep attacking me, but I can't realistically recover unless I manually reconnect everything, then demolish half my empire's buildings, and even then my income will be slashed to maybe 20% - 25% of what it used to be (not enough to build a fleet)

I wouldn't even be so mad if it was something I felt like I did wrong, or I felt like I had been outplayed but... I don't know why I lost. I have literally no idea why his fleets crushed me so hard, and I have no idea how you're supposed to stop the enemy from just flying to the middle of your empire and screwing everything up since it's free flight instead of warp lanes... and the economic system is so incredibly, absurdly vulnerable to that sort of thing... losing even a single level 0 planet anywhere in your empire can cause a cascade of failure and cost you a huge chunk of your income.

Star ruler 2 - I try to give them some slack because they actually tried to do something new but it's just so poorly designed, nothing is explained anywhere the UI is so bad, the economic system is completely nonsensical... everything about it just feels bad and frustrating.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20878 on: November 28, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »

Yeah, there were a lot of things with SR2 that kept it from being a particularly good game, economy being one(I also have a hate-on for the diplomacy card game). I did manage to finish a 1v1 game the other week, and in the several attempts leading up to that learned a bit about the economy system. Basically, most resources besides water and most food give different types of "pressure" to the world receiving it. If the world has pressure capacity(mainly determined by population), then it will attempt to automatically build structures that use their related pressure - for example if there's unused commerce pressure, the world will try to build Markets which increase money income. Annoyingly, you cannot choose where these are built, though if you build over them they're probably rebuilt. They're also upkeep-free as far as I know.

This means that while getting a world to T5 is good for that sweet, sweet income, you should also plan what pressures to specialize(or generalize) in, such as world intended for constructing things get as much labor pressure as possible. Of course, this is nearly impossible on a modest-sized galaxy, since it takes as many as 50 worlds to bring one world to T5, not counting megafarms/water production buildings, but counting the T5 in that 50(as it can supply its own requirements). One strategy is to push hard for the center, where the higher-tier resources are.

As for why you lost the battle, that's a good question. The strength level is supposed to give you a pretty good estimate, but I guess not. Were you using your own designs or the stock ones(which are decent enough)? Also note that 4 fleets is probably better than 1 fleet, since that's 4 flagships. Also, your strength indicator could be based on just your flagship, meaning the support ships were weak.

I will add that if you're being blocked in the beginning like you were, or if your trade networks are separated, you can build a Commerce Station in both halves of your severed trade network to resume trade.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20879 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:12 pm »

Stock designs, though the sizes had been bumped up quite a few times. IIRC the flagship was up to 1200 and the support ships ~30-ish, I increased them proportionally (so double flagship = double each support ship size). It was also a pretty even mix of all the different types of support ships. The defense base was just the stock one scaled up to like 1500 or 2000 or something (I forget) and the support base was from one of those ancient relics I activated - it had no guns but it buffed the nearest fleet to increase damage, defense, and heal it during combat though of course gave no details as to how much.

As for the more fleets = more better, if flagships are that much better why not just spam flagships and never build any support ships at all? For that matter, what's the difference between a size 100 flagship and a size 100 support ship if the layout is the same? I don't know... another thing the game never really explains.

Also you're right about commerce stations, I totally forgot those existed and that's 100% my fault, so I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Though I'm not sure I could have afforded one with -2,000,000 "income" but still, something I could have considered.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 1390 1391 [1392] 1393 1394 ... 1571