Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1397 1398 [1399] 1400 1401 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266705 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20970 on: January 04, 2019, 09:40:59 pm »

I started up a new world.

A new character.

As soon as I'm beginning to build a house, a pair of giant queen bees (These things) zoom in.

Yeah. Not the best first impression ever (and I even chose the default difficulty, too).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That... isn't supposed to happen. Bosses in Terraria are deliberately summoned, with only a few exceptions. Even then, I don't think two queen bees are ever supposed to be alive at once. That is a very strange bug you got there.
The queen bee is summoned whenever a Larve breaks. I presume that worldgen wasn't perfect and something happened to break the larve when that section of the world loaded in or after enough time had passed. The most likely culprit was some lava settling after overflowing from worldgen and then slowly trickling down to the two larve and breaking them.

Note that unlike the vast majority of the bosses however you *can* have two queen bees at once as long as you break two larve in a row.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20971 on: January 04, 2019, 10:16:22 pm »

Wouldn't the Queen Bee(s) despawn due to leaving the Jungle? Assuming you're not building your house in the Jungle of course.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20972 on: January 05, 2019, 01:47:51 am »

R.I.P. Brenda Aitken. She was a... radar operator. I mean, she got the job done, I guess? Right up until she didn't.
Her and the navigator were both downed in a fierce battle against a large swarm of fighters - led by a villainous ace pilot with a similar name to a certain tennis ace from a certain neutral country. My engineer was partway through patching Brenda up when I realised something terrible - we had only the one medical kit! Reluctantly, hoping that the kit could be re-used (this was my first time taking casualties), I ordered him to patch up the navigator instead - because otherwise how the hell would we get back to base?!

Alas, the kits were not reusable after all, and for some reason the RAF had neglected to fit our bomber with more than one. Budget must have been rather tight, I suppose. The Thunder Bird made it back to base - but poor Brenda did not, groaning and bleeding her last on the cold, bullet-riddled floor beside her comms post.

Funds were splashed around to ensure that the 'Bird has (hopefully) an over-abundance of first aid gear, in the hopes of avoiding such needless tragedies in future. Lest We Forget.   

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20973 on: January 05, 2019, 06:53:34 am »

I didn't find any warm clothing, so I froze to death.

I had that happen a bunch of times when I played that game, usually it was ether because they didn't spawn or because I suck.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20974 on: January 05, 2019, 12:54:23 pm »

Eaten by a Diablos.

~Monster Hunter World
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20975 on: January 05, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »

Leprosy.... in a game where it's possible to cure cancer by various means.... (unless maybe you're devil spawn or in a demon cult)

(Okay, the character isn't dead yet, but it's a death sentence in a world where everything else has a possibility of being cured, even syphillis)

Crusader Kings II

edit: You know what, I'm gonna savescum as this is still early game....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:53:40 pm by smjjames »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20976 on: January 05, 2019, 04:07:05 pm »

Leprosy is a perfectly respectable career path! Well, at least until some "messiah" just comes along and cures you without asking.

Oh yeah, and I died to another cougar again. Lost a bunch of pelts, but not nearly as bad as the last time with two horses, but still a bitch. There's an evil madman st Rockstar who placed the cougar spawning zone on top of the trapper you sell pelts to.

EDIT2: Alright, this game is starting to actually quite get my goat... If it's not the cougars one-shot camping the trapper and ruining your accumulated sales stock (which I suppose could be interpreted as a learning experience to prep players for Online, where griefers like to camp out any sort of popular merchant and just headshot people trying to make a living), it's the psychic lawmen and the borked bounty system.

So after my last accidental run-in with the law landing me a very expensive lesson to the tune of $145, I've been a very good boy trying his bestest to not be in the wrong county when a new band of deputies sprouts from the ground. There was a slight issue in Saint Denis where I insulted a man, which caused him to pull a gun and start shooting at me. In an attempt to keep from dying, I returned fire and was promptly landed with bounties for disturbing the peace and two counts of cold-blooded unprovoked murder.

Trying to find legitimate pursuits after that fiasco, I started up a sidequest line that, curiously, resulted in a sort of tutorial for robbing a train. "What fun!" I thought, "some actual structured criminal activities, done within the safe environment of an early-game tutorial!"

The robbery went as poorly as was scripted, but we made off with a sizable take all the same! Sure, the camp took its share of $750, which never actually made it into the camp funds and seems to have just been there to make the score look bigger than it really was, but once all was said and done I still got about $128 from the whole affair!

Then the mission was over and the HUD popped back in. $110 bounty, for my actions aboard the train.

$110 bounty in Saint Denis, a place that becomes effectively inaccessible when you have any kind of bounty at all. Because the final leg of the mission took place just inside the state border.

This was outrageous... I felt cheated! Not least because we'd all kept our disguises on for the entire mission, but the scripted lawmen arrive and lawmen can X-ray right through any sort of face concealment and immediately identify a wanted individual from a hundred paces when hidden under a sackcloth bag. Yes, bandanas and masks are completely meaningless to The Law.

So, feeling rather peeved, I said "Alright, you want me to be an outlaw? Then I'll be an outlaw!" and I went to the portion of the map where I have a permanent story-related bounty of "Dead or Alive". It was alright, I'd been there during a story mission... Lawmen were everywhere, but just be careful around the border and stick to the wilderness and you'll be fine.

It was not alright. Now that the mission in question was over, the Legal Authority infestation had gotten completely out of control. Instantly upon entering the region, 9-man posses of sharpshooter deputies began homing in on my location from every direction, even spawning directly behind me on a secluded mountain road. I died a couple times, but I took a number of them with me before giving up the ghost and recognizing that this area was officially off-limits.

$300 bounty.

...wait, what? But I was in Blackwater, with the special fixed "Dead or Alive" bounty? Why was I getting...

Oh. Blackwater is technically a part of West Elizabeth, which is the entire western third of the map. It just has special borders to confuse issues, and doesn't mention any of this funkiness in its "bounties are state-wide" spiel the game tells you, which I took to mean that the Blackwater area was in a different state due to it having a bounty value and the rest of West Elizabeth... Not.

So I've got a $110 bounty in Saint Denis, a $300 bounty in West Elizabeth (just in case the fucking cougars weren't enough), and a $60 bounty in New Hanover right in the middle... Because I was stupid and took another story mission, which again hosed me with an inescapable bounty.

A result of being wanted in 90% of the current game map, and only being able to remove that by paying a total of $470... my entire savings from nearly 20 hours of play is $800. Fuck.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20977 on: January 05, 2019, 08:29:34 pm »

Wouldn't the Queen Bee(s) despawn due to leaving the Jungle? Assuming you're not building your house in the Jungle of course.
Its possible that the underground jungle was close enough by that it still counted them as being in the "jungle" even if they couldn't see any of it from their location.

Or it is indeed possible that it was a bug and they should have despawned.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20978 on: January 05, 2019, 10:12:50 pm »

Even if it was, I'm pretty sure the Larva can't break without a player attacking it. This sounds like one major glitch, and I recommend generating a new world to see if it happens again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20979 on: January 06, 2019, 05:10:05 am »

Even if it was, I'm pretty sure the Larva can't break without a player attacking it.
They sure can! As mentioned earlier, lava will happily pop the little bastards, and I think there might be a couple other things as well. They're actually quite fragile.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20980 on: January 06, 2019, 05:32:37 am »

Silt or sand can also cause the larva to break if the gen goes a bit funky, it isn't a common issue to be sure, but I've had it happen twice on starting new worlds.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20981 on: January 06, 2019, 07:56:12 am »

Prepared for an incoming enemy air attack. I didn't know exactly where they'd strike, but I set up camp on the peak labeled Tafos, just north of Panchori. It was a good spot - the best spot since Panchori turned out to be their target. I took a truck, loaded it with with about a dozen Titan AA missiles(expensive since Titans never unlock infinite supply), some extra other supplies, and parked it at Tafos.

Saw about 6-7 helicopters and at least one UAV plane. Started firing as soon as I could get a lock. Enemy helicopters started dropping like flies. After clearing most of the wave, I look back towards the direction they came from, and see twenty more helicopters coming this way. I'm not even joking. Even with the extra MAAWS I brought with me, there's no way I can engage that. Even though I tried.

Oh, and if the helicopters reach their destination, it's apparently an instant win for them even with the defensive garrison I placed there.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20982 on: January 06, 2019, 08:58:57 am »

Prepared for an incoming enemy air attack. I didn't know exactly where they'd strike, but I set up camp on the peak labeled Tafos, just north of Panchori. It was a good spot - the best spot since Panchori turned out to be their target. I took a truck, loaded it with with about a dozen Titan AA missiles(expensive since Titans never unlock infinite supply), some extra other supplies, and parked it at Tafos.

Saw about 6-7 helicopters and at least one UAV plane. Started firing as soon as I could get a lock. Enemy helicopters started dropping like flies. After clearing most of the wave, I look back towards the direction they came from, and see twenty more helicopters coming this way. I'm not even joking. Even with the extra MAAWS I brought with me, there's no way I can engage that. Even though I tried.

Oh, and if the helicopters reach their destination, it's apparently an instant win for them even with the defensive garrison I placed there.

It's not an instant win---I'm pretty sure strafing runs are just brutal when they include rocket pods and high-caliber cannon fire---and it's helped if you have the area loaded so your troops can fight back (and have a chance to gun down helicopters before they land and deploy troops). Also remember to purchase and place static Titan AA and maybe Titan AT if you want to defend essential places.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20983 on: January 06, 2019, 09:29:47 am »

The town was loaded, so my garrison was spawned. And it was an instant win, the place changed hands the moment the helicopters flew over there. They never even opened fire on the town.

And I couldn't place static Titans since buying garrisons for towns took all my money - garrisons specifically intended to stop the instant-win helicopter attacks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20984 on: January 06, 2019, 01:09:01 pm »

Have you considered trying an exorcism for your Arma?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1397 1398 [1399] 1400 1401 ... 1571