Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2263342 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21060 on: February 02, 2019, 06:21:43 am »

Steel age is when I'm starting. And there's no "transition" between ages during the game, the era you start in is the era you stay in. And that is what I mean when attempting to start a trade route - it doesn't hurt to ask even if they say no or the route is largely useless.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21061 on: February 02, 2019, 06:26:03 am »

Steel age is when I'm starting. And there's no "transition" between ages during the game, the era you start in is the era you stay in. And that is what I mean when attempting to start a trade route - it doesn't hurt to ask even if they say no or the route is largely useless.

Unfortunately, cities have mostly preset trade wares in Custom games, the only exception being Kashgar (the distant city in the west). If you can't get Lacquerware (or Lacquer to make your own) from any city, you need to start from scratch, perhaps with greater amount of chinese cities on the map.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21062 on: February 02, 2019, 05:23:46 pm »

Stealth starts out really good I figure out where everyone is and then suddenly I fuck up and I get noticed and I immediately start blind firing and throwing grenades at were people are and them die like that several times, I really suck at stealth games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21063 on: February 03, 2019, 06:08:13 am »

My plan of pumping wide area so I can force people to use potions when they are low hp falls apart when the person that needs to use the potion is on the other side of the map out of range, fighting the balloon bat instead of fighting the ice dragon like everyone else is.

The person fighting the balloon bat dies three times.  Causing a mission failure. Because they could not come fight the monster the rest of the party was fighting.

Monster Hunter World
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21064 on: February 03, 2019, 06:17:17 am »

Top-tier play: spam "I need healing" and go out a different door from the rest of the team; this way, it looks to your main healer (me) that you have a plan. Then, wander around the edge of the teamfight and not make a move until it's too late to make a difference.

At least I'm winning more games than I'm losing now that I primarily play comp and arcade instead of quickplay.

Overwatch.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21065 on: February 03, 2019, 04:34:29 pm »

I got ambushed while trying to complete a supply run. Vastly outnumbered and missing my left arm I got beaten, captured and strapped to a pole. I managed to free myself but my mangled legs meant that I could hardly walk away, so I got captured again. Barely conscious I had no choice but to watch as my character was eaten alive.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21066 on: February 04, 2019, 09:48:31 am »

Torched the alien, which bowled me over and jumped into a vent.  I walked around the corner and it dropped on me and immediately killed me.  Well played.

Then after reloading, I had a similar incident, except I whacked it with a molotov.  It proceeded to ignore that and kill me while on fire.  Never seen molotovs not work before, but I think the game just makes the alien kill you as normal if it was going to knock you down but you didn't have enough HP to survive.

Alien: Isolation.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21067 on: February 04, 2019, 10:00:20 am »

Terror reached 100 for the first time and I failed a roll that I had very good chances of passing. The mutineers threw me out into the void. After countless hours of knife's-edge survival and endless narrow escapes, I die to my own bloody crew. Ungrateful, treacherous, cowardly bastards...

There go all my storylines, officers and everything else I've worked to achieve in the last however many hours... kept my ship and whatnot, but I'm not sure I have the energy to continue. This game makes it incredibly hard to enjoy it, at least on the regular mode, and I do enjoy it a lot. I'd be happy to lose my money, ship, resources, but why do you have to take away all my story progress, game? It's not exactly fun to slog through it a second time. I was told there would be grind, but I didn't realize it'd be this kind of grind!

Ah - I guess they put Merciful Mode in for people like me. I really wish I'd started with it, though. I'm not sure I have the patience to start over in that mode and play through all this again, or the patience to continue with my current game and new captain and try to get back every in-progress storyline I had going, so I can see them to the end...

Sunless Skies.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21068 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:18 am »

The first death is the hardest (assuming it's like Sunless Seas, I haven't loaded Skies just yet).  Seas is designed to be replayed, because while some things play out the same (IF you make the same choices), they also put in alternatives for a lot.  They gave it replay-value which doesn't really show up on a single playthrough, even a long one.

Besides (again, if it's like Seas) there's a point of diminishing returns where the relatively-reliable profit sources dry up.  It's designed for constant "discovery", even if that means sending a fresh character out ever few hours.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21069 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:41 am »

Terror reached 100 for the first time and I failed a roll that I had very good chances of passing. The mutineers threw me out into the void. After countless hours of knife's-edge survival and endless narrow escapes, I die to my own bloody crew. Ungrateful, treacherous, cowardly bastards...

There go all my storylines, officers and everything else I've worked to achieve in the last however many hours... kept my ship and whatnot, but I'm not sure I have the energy to continue. This game makes it incredibly hard to enjoy it, at least on the regular mode, and I do enjoy it a lot. I'd be happy to lose my money, ship, resources, but why do you have to take away all my story progress, game? It's not exactly fun to slog through it a second time. I was told there would be grind, but I didn't realize it'd be this kind of grind!

Ah - I guess they put Merciful Mode in for people like me. I really wish I'd started with it, though. I'm not sure I have the patience to start over in that mode and play through all this again, or the patience to continue with my current game and new captain and try to get back every in-progress storyline I had going, so I can see them to the end...

Sunless Skies.

Welcome to Sunless Sea Skies!

And now you know why I stopped playing Seas. I got to a point where my character was actually doing really well, and I realized that if I continued doing anything interesting, I'd quite likely lose absolutely everything I'd spent the past dozen hours building up to, and then have to go through all the same (still terrifically written) storylines all over again.

That, and I actually got kinda attached to one of the crewmembers and then the game decided "lol, 30% chance to disappear forever after doing everything right: ACTIVATE! Here's your consolation prize of absolutely nothing".

And it's not like there's much reason to try and follow the storylines differently (the ones that even let you do things differently), because quite often your options are going to be "I do everything the right way and receive riches and experience", or the alternative choice of "I scream at own ass".

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21070 on: February 04, 2019, 10:55:17 am »

The first death is the hardest (assuming it's like Sunless Seas, I haven't loaded Skies just yet).  Seas is designed to be replayed, because while some things play out the same (IF you make the same choices), they also put in alternatives for a lot.  They gave it replay-value which doesn't really show up on a single playthrough, even a long one.

Besides (again, if it's like Seas) there's a point of diminishing returns where the relatively-reliable profit sources dry up.  It's designed for constant "discovery", even if that means sending a fresh character out ever few hours.

I died plenty of times early on; this was my first death after properly grasping the combat system (and slowing down near walls - I died one time just by colliding with a port far from battle...). I'm not fully convinced that even with alternatives there's much enjoyment to be had in completing the same storylines again, since it tends to take a lot of time and effort and flying back and forth to advance them, usually with some risk of dying in battle on the way as well. I can skip the ones I've completed and go on to discover new ones, sure, but I had a dozen in-progress ones that I'd really have liked to see to the end. The officer ones were especially long and scattered around the map. It would be tedious and frustrating, and there's no guarantee it wouldn't end in sudden disaster again. Starting to explore new areas doesn't seem all that fun either when you know you might lose all that new progress soon enough again.

Going through so many captains just means they end up as random assortments of stats and qualities - probably randomized because you were too frustrated to make the starting choices again. I had a very clear idea of who my first captain was and what I was going to do with them. No hope of that now. I went through so many until I got to this one, who survived long enough to succeed. The dead are not even memorialized in any way, as far as I can tell. Even a page of previous captains and their fates would be nice.

I figure I'll start again in Merciful Mode. You apparently get to choose between reloading and starting over as a new captain when you die - I'll pick the former when I'm in the middle of something, the latter when I'm ready to go into new areas and new adventures instead. I'm sure there's a lot to love in the way the standard mode does things, with permadeath and all, but I'm starting to realize it's really not for me.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21071 on: February 04, 2019, 11:15:28 am »

Have you gotten to heritage stuff yet? Like the special family items that improve the stats of any later captains in that line, and heirlooms that can be bought by one character, then handed down and sold for a lesser amount of money by a later character.

There are a bunch of things that are tied to meta progression of your "bloodline" (not to mention the whole business of getting around to having a bloodline in the first place, which is a storyline in and of itself), which are supposed to make later captains better at doing things and going more far than previous captains.

...and guess what! There's a storyline that lets you delete all that persistent stuff too!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21072 on: February 04, 2019, 12:13:44 pm »

Got killed by an asshole invader with a Royal Greatsword and some kind of dagger that inflicts insane amounts of bleed effect.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21073 on: February 04, 2019, 06:14:19 pm »

News brought to you by GNN, the Galactic News Network, the one and only reliable source of information in the universe.

The Cthulhoid Empire has been mysteriously left without it's ruler. A reliable source claims he has been last seen frothing at the mouth after learning that the Mighty, Morphin' Mrrshan doMinion had already managed to build a battleship, two cruisers and several destroyers, severely outnumbering the pitiable Cthulhoid fleet of two frigates and two destroyers.

More information will be available as the situation develops.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:39:27 pm by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21074 on: February 04, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »

Well, Warlords are kinda like that. As is the AI, cheaty buggers...

MoO2 involves a lot of production purchasing/rushing, so there's also that. If you want to be the fast one and turn things around on some peeps, go for a UniTol race and just build everything forever.
Pages: 1 ... 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 ... 1571